U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2007, 05:35 PM

1 posts, read 2,739 times

Advertisements

hiya! south 52nd to south 54th street,still bad out over there or no?

because i m thinkin bout leaving suburban jersey area near linden/cranford lovely area where jobs are great here for me and donna the fiancee and her family over here in cran/lind/clark,nj areas.the people very overly friendly quiet for the most part.
houses are well kept and not much BIG TYPE crimes like HOME invasions on each block/murder/crime like in phillie area,

but each and every five to 10 years the mayor saying here in n.j.(linden)
i know his brother who used to work with my dad or former linden mayor gregorio,so i am wondering should we move from the nice quiet resident street,suburb i am in now in new jersey back to philly area near 52nd street, i hear it is gettin worse! but i do miss my FRIENDS from college days etc....

but i dont wanna Move back IF I WILL BE ENTERING world war three in phillie town,like around the

SOUTH 52 or south 54th area,badlands as we call it back then.thnx.

from tom and donna.

Old 12-15-2007, 06:22 PM

468 posts, read 2,133,389 times
52nd through 54th Streets run through West Philly and Southwest Philly. South Philly is on the other side of the Schuylkill...

Anyway, the best area of 52nd would be around the intersection with Baltimore Avenue and the area around Malcolm X Park (aka Black Oak Park). African immigrants have moved in and done a good job of revitalizing the area just east of 52nd on Baltimore Ave, and a Dock Street Pub just opened at 50th and Baltimore. If you're looking to move back to the area, I would look around there. It's a diverse neighborhood with a mix of African immigrants, African Americans, white people, Penn students, USP (pharmacy) students.

North of that area, closer to the El at Market, is still a war zone. In fact I think some recent report named 52nd and Market as the most dangerous intersection in the city. You definitely don't want to live around there.

And further south, below the R3 tracks down in Southwest Philly, is also a really rough neighborhood.

How long has it been since you moved away? From what I know about the history of the area, you'd probably be surprised to find that the Southwest Philly part of those streets are in worse shape today, while the aforementioned (Baltimore, Cedar, Larchwood blocks) area is better than it used to be.

Old 12-17-2007, 07:33 AM

35 posts, read 174,341 times
take a drive down 52nd... bet you would think twice about moving back

Old 12-17-2007, 07:37 AM

and i'm sorry but 52nd and larchwood, cedar and baltimore aren't good areas at all... how about you take a trip to the southwest detectives on 55th and spruce, ask them a few questions. bet you'll stay away then lol... now larchwood, cedar, baltimore, spruce, hazel, pine, etc BELOW 49th st gets much better, you're entering Univ city now which is a very nice area

Old 12-19-2007, 03:11 PM

5,296 posts, read 5,205,537 times
Better off staying in Jersey. The worst places in NJ are still better than philly.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:13 AM

so you would live in Camden before living in Center city, or in Univ City or East Falls, or any other nice part of town??? highly doubt that

Old 12-20-2007, 03:47 PM

5,296 posts, read 5,205,537 times
I wasn't saying that,but what percentage of people can afford to live in those places? And even so,they're not the most completely safe. In cc you got beggars all over the place and who knows what else roams the streets after the sidewalks roll up and in univ city you have crimes against students and vandalism. The city is still the city. Not everybody lives in a bubble.

Old 12-20-2007, 05:50 PM

well stuck, city life isn't for you! :-) i was born and raised in the "ghetto" and i"m alive and well... "everything ain't for everybody"

Old 12-21-2007, 07:26 AM

7,968 posts, read 18,076,790 times
We're unfortunately getting off topic from the specific area and getting into some unconstructive bantering. I think it would be best to close this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or