Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 04:50 PM

9,327 posts, read 12,997,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousBlueRaincoat View Post
A blast from the past - I think a lot of the german places my family went to in the mid 90's are gone. However, Queens is still pretty diverse and there are still plenty of old timers in the area - there are places scattered around Middle Village, Glendale, Forest Hills, and it's a lot compared to Philadelphia anyway.

In Fox Chase in Northeast Philadelphia there is a German meat market right near Oxford and Rhawn. Across the street from that there is a bar/restaurant with a german name (have no idea if it's an actual german place). I think that'll be the close as you're going to get.
Slightly off-topic, but where can one get authentic Philadelphia-style German butter cakes these days? Have all the bakeries moved out to the Northern suburbs or are there still places in the city limits where the real deal may be procured?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 04:53 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,419,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern Rock View Post
There used to be a Catholic church at 5th & Cayuga called St. Henry's and they had a German language mass. St. Mary's in Manayunk was the German church. I think it's still open. On the inside there are German inscriptions and stained glass, etc.
St. Henry's was my mother's parish. Sadly, it closed back in 1993.

For Some At St. Henry's, A Sense Of Betrayal - Philly.com

Old 07-21-2014, 07:23 PM

221 posts, read 400,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Slightly off-topic, but where can one get authentic Philadelphia-style German butter cakes these days? Have all the bakeries moved out to the Northern suburbs or are there still places in the city limits where the real deal may be procured?
Danish Bakers in Rockledge if you don't mind going one street past the city limits. Also Holmesburg Bakery on Frankford Ave (right below Rhawn). Both of them have great butter cakes. Danish is my personal favorite.

Old 07-21-2014, 07:51 PM

9,327 posts, read 12,997,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snwmn5 View Post
Danish Bakers in Rockledge if you don't mind going one street past the city limits. Also Holmesburg Bakery on Frankford Ave (right below Rhawn). Both of them have great butter cakes. Danish is my personal favorite.
Rockledge is close enough. I just didn't want to trek out into the hinterlands. Do they have a ready supply or do you have to get there super early? My dad would occasionally bring home butter cakes (actually from Holmesburg, IIRC), but I think he was only ever able to get them through clients who had connections to the owners.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:51 AM

221 posts, read 400,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Rockledge is close enough. I just didn't want to trek out into the hinterlands. Do they have a ready supply or do you have to get there super early? My dad would occasionally bring home butter cakes (actually from Holmesburg, IIRC), but I think he was only ever able to get them through clients who had connections to the owners.
Danish usually has at least a few butter cakes made at the bakery. You can call ahead though to ask but I've never ran into any big issues with that there.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:35 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,154,866 times
Isn't there still that German bakery off of Rittenhouse? Can't recall the name, but it ends in "Haus"? Is that gone now?

Old 07-25-2014, 10:01 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,225,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallouise View Post
Isn't there still that German bakery off of Rittenhouse? Can't recall the name, but it ends in "Haus"? Is that gone now?
The full name is Swiss Haus. Which also answers question number one.

And like way too many bakeries in Philadelphia, there is a perplexing lack of bread.

Old 07-25-2014, 05:58 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,650,325 times
"Let them eat cake!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia