Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 12:00 AM

1,044 posts, read 1,248,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppenn View Post
Question for everyone...I've been looking at apartments mainly in southwest Philadelphia, like around the airport and such. Can anyone give me info in renting/living in Philadelphia and commuting to PPL park (Chester) rather than the other areas around it?
Have you read this thread, which is contemporaneous with yours? http://www.city-data.com/forum/phila...-sections.html

I don't know much about Philadelphia neighborhoods, but if this analysis of Southwest Philly is even remotely accurate, I sure would discourage you.

When we drive to the airport, we park at a remote long-term lot in Essington, just south of the airport. From the little we've seen of it, driving 5 minutes after we get off I-95, it seems like a very tired, sad, rundown place. I definitely would discourage you from making any long-term decisions about housing before visiting the area and taking a lot of time to drive around, at all times of the day and night.

FWIW: http://www.city-data.com/forum/phila...aces-live.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 01:44 PM

21 posts, read 30,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocopsonite View Post
Have you read this thread, which is contemporaneous with yours? http://www.city-data.com/forum/phila...-sections.html

I don't know much about Philadelphia neighborhoods, but if this analysis of Southwest Philly is even remotely accurate, I sure would discourage you.

When we drive to the airport, we park at a remote long-term lot in Essington, just south of the airport. From the little we've seen of it, driving 5 minutes after we get off I-95, it seems like a very tired, sad, rundown place. I definitely would discourage you from making any long-term decisions about housing before visiting the area and taking a lot of time to drive around, at all times of the day and night.

FWIW: http://www.city-data.com/forum/phila...aces-live.html
Thanks for the post. Very helpful.

I had my interview today and the guy conducting it told me he lived in South Philly near the Baseball/Football stadium. Seems like a decent place to live. Any thoughts?

Old 08-01-2014, 11:54 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,156,008 times
Quote:
Question for everyone...I've been looking at apartments mainly in southwest Philadelphia, like around the airport and such. Can anyone give me info in renting/living in Philadelphia and commuting to PPL park (Chester) rather than the other areas around it?
If you live in the city of Philadelphia you are going to pay a 4% city wage tax,you may want to keep that in mind. If you live in the suburbs you will probably get zapped by a 1% or possibly 2% occupation tax.

Wallingford,Media,Glen Riddle,Glen Mills,Aston ,maybe Brookhaven. Steer clear of Chester,Chester Township,Chichester.

good luck.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:31 PM

5,586 posts, read 8,346,090 times
I would also discourage you from Southwest Phila., I wouldn't even drive around there, as well as the neighborhoods around the airport. They are very run-down and some are dangerous, as is Chester. Some areas of South Philly are very nice, but some are not, so you'd have to do your due diligence there, and then you have the wage tax issue. Try to focus on the neighborhoods mentioned in the posts above, seriously.

Old 08-08-2014, 10:57 AM

21 posts, read 30,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
If you live in the city of Philadelphia you are going to pay a 4% city wage tax,you may want to keep that in mind. If you live in the suburbs you will probably get zapped by a 1% or possibly 2% occupation tax.

Wallingford,Media,Glen Riddle,Glen Mills,Aston ,maybe Brookhaven. Steer clear of Chester,Chester Township,Chichester.

good luck.
Thank you. I've been researching these areas a lot. I was looking in Philly around the Lower Moyamensing area but some of the ares you listed have rentals slightly higher than Philly but a closer commute. Thanks everyone. This is really tough.

Old 08-08-2014, 11:41 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,156,008 times
Quote:
Thank you. I've been researching these areas a lot. I was looking in Philly around the Lower Moyamensing area but some of the ares you listed have rentals slightly higher than Philly but a closer commute. Thanks everyone. This is really tough.
South Philly and places like Wallingford,Media,Aston,Brookhaven are 2 different worlds.

South Philly Moyamensing is much faster paced more exciting, more prone to crime but close to Center City which is a huge asset. Philly Wage tax to consider also.It has its good points and bad points.Car is a liability due to parking troubles in very dense south philly.

South Philly down by the stadiums is a bit quieter more suburban.

The towns mentioned like Wallingford,Aston,Media,Brookhaven are family oriented,suburban,quiet,boring.No Philly wage tax .Car is an asset and necessity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia