Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2014, 11:47 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,917,025 times

Advertisements

Living in minnesota now. hoping to get a job in philly soon. here is what i am looking for.

1. reasonable commute to bala cynwyd or media pa. this is where we will both be working

2. good schools (6th, 3rd grade and reasonably priced daycres)

3. affordable. (3 bedrooms. rent no more than $1400. if the cost is most than 1400, at least let utilites be included).

4. walkable. must be able to walk to shops, restaurants. also good access to septa and public transportation.

5. kids playing outside. i dont want to be in a suburb where you always have to be in organized play. i dont wanna have to go to chuck e cheese or the ymca or stuff like that for kids to have a good time. i just wanna go outside and see kids playing hide n seek or freeze tag. or playing basketball or just riding their bikes.

6. more african americans. i live in minnesota and its definitely a culture shock. i need to be in a neighborhood where there is more than 5 of us. im not trying to offend anyone. but i dont like sticking out like a sore thumb. going into target or starbucks and im the only black there.

7. safe. i wanna be able to go to the store at night. or feel safe walking. or not worry about my car being broken into .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 01:38 PM

53 posts, read 102,388 times
Some parts of Upper Darby satisfy all of your requirements. Upper Darby has easy access to Route 1, which both Media and Bala Cynwyd are situated along, UD is a decent school district, you should have no trouble finding a 3 bedroom for $1400 there, it is the most densely populated township in the state, and is therefore relatively walkable, most of the homes have yards and there are a fair amount of quiet streets for children to play, it is arguably the most diverse suburb in the state, and it is relatively safe, although there are some grittier areas, I would say that Upper Darby overall is safe.

Old 07-31-2014, 03:32 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,917,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullligan150 View Post
Some parts of Upper Darby satisfy all of your requirements. Upper Darby has easy access to Route 1, which both Media and Bala Cynwyd are situated along, UD is a decent school district, you should have no trouble finding a 3 bedroom for $1400 there, it is the most densely populated township in the state, and is therefore relatively walkable, most of the homes have yards and there are a fair amount of quiet streets for children to play, it is arguably the most diverse suburb in the state, and it is relatively safe, although there are some grittier areas, I would say that Upper Darby overall is safe.
mulligan we used to live in east lansdowne before moving to minnesota. i gotta say no to upper darby. i know about marshall road and 69th st. i need a change. plus crime has gotten a lot worse. would w mt airy or chestnut hill be out of my price range? and do kids play outside there

Old 07-31-2014, 04:07 PM

78 posts, read 164,360 times
A 3br for $1400 or less? I don't know if you'll find what you're looking for with that budget. I'd say Mt. Airy would be perfect but if you can live there for that much I'm moving there too. Forget about Chestnut Hill.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:18 PM

126 posts, read 203,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daboywonder2002 View Post
mulligan we used to live in east lansdowne before moving to minnesota. i gotta say no to upper darby. i know about marshall road and 69th st. i need a change. plus crime has gotten a lot worse. would w mt airy or chestnut hill be out of my price range? and do kids play outside there
Honestly i'm not a huge fan of upper darby but the section you're talking about is the worst section of upper darby. The areas near havertown are a lot nicer and have better elementary schools. Also look in the drexel hill sections. Chestnut Hill would be way out of your price range, I looked into there and 3 bedrooms started 2000+ a month, it's so expensive. You might get lucky and find something in your budget in west mt airy. Otherwise, east mount airy might be doable. Honestly, from what I have heard east mt airy is just as nice as west besides a small section that has crime problems. Lots of diversity and families.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:38 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,402,263 times
The "kids playing outside" thing is not tied to a particular neighborhood, it's today's culture of video games combined with everything being an organized sport, starting with toddlers almost. I think you're harkening (hearkening?) back to ye olden days of your childhood, my friend.

Your $1400 max. price is kind of limiting for the nicer neighborhoods, especially for a place like Chestnut Hill. It does seem like Delaware County would meet your needs in terms of diversity and proximity to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia