Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 08:14 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,249,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thwanko View Post
I don't have a very good camera, but I can think of some places I could take screen caps of in streetview and post, If your interested. They won't be as pretty as yours by any means though.
By all means go for it! I don't feel I own this thread and the quality of the pix is incidental. The fun is in trying to guess where the pix might be from and in learning more about our city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 06:05 PM

233 posts, read 333,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
By all means go for it! I don't feel I own this thread and the quality of the pix is incidental. The fun is in trying to guess where the pix might be from and in learning more about our city.
Ok since your interested, here are a handful of places in different parts of the city.
Click image for larger version

Name:	phillypic1.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	249.4 KB
ID:	134555

Name:	phillypic7.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	134560
The first two I actually took myself since I happened to be by them today. The second is super blurry though but it still might be recognizable. The rest are from google street view.

Name:	phillypic2.png
Views:	87
Size:	463.1 KB
ID:	134556
I always liked this mural. Its a bit hard to tell from the picture but the mask is actually like 3d.

Name:	phillypic3.png
Views:	103
Size:	465.7 KB
ID:	134561
Iconic.

Name:	phillypic4.png
Views:	62
Size:	217.3 KB
ID:	134558
The sign says girls if it is to blurry to make out

Name:	phillypic5.png
Views:	77
Size:	214.9 KB
ID:	134559
Space Invaders

Name:	phillypic6.png
Views:	628
Size:	380.5 KB
ID:	134557
Honestly I'd seen this last one only once before and didn't remember exactly where it was, I had to search for buddhist temples. It was too cool to not include though.

Old 08-14-2014, 06:55 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,224,881 times
Quote:
Ok since your interested, here are a handful of places in different parts of the city.

Attachment 134561
Iconic.

I've already answered my fair share so I'll leave most for others. But 4 is the Beury Building at Germantown and Broad Street. The only thing more frustrating than that abandoned density at this location, right on top of the BSL, is the drive-in Checkers practically right next door.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousBlueRaincoat View Post
I've already answered my fair share so I'll leave most for others. But 4 is the Beury Building at Germantown and Broad Street. The only thing more frustrating than that abandoned density at this location, right on top of the BSL, is the drive-in Checkers practically right next door.
To be fair, that Broad/Erie/Germantown triangle is one of the busiest intersections in North Philly in terms of foot traffic, even if most of the stores there are kinda run down, so at least as a whole the area's density isn't all going to waste.

Last edited by thwanko; 08-14-2014 at 07:39 PM..

Old 08-14-2014, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Thanks for taking this up (+1). I'm glad you selected pictures from different areas of the city. These look challenging to a newcomer like me, but I suspect some of the long time Philadelphians will be able to ID them. I'm looking forward to learning where they are located and perhaps a little more back story on some of the places you selected.

BTW - Love the space invaders.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Thanks for taking this up (+1). I'm glad you selected pictures from different areas of the city. These look challenging to a newcomer like me, but I suspect some of the long time Philadelphians will be able to ID them. I'm looking forward to learning where they are located and perhaps a little more back story on some of the places you selected.

BTW - Love the space invaders.
well, since number 4 was already identified by FamousBlueRaincoat (Beury Building), I might as well share this article giving background info. Inside The Beury Building (AKA The ‘Boner Forever’ building) with Zhenya Grinshteyn | Streets Dept

Old 08-15-2014, 07:57 AM

^^^ Thanks - very interesting. At 14 stories, it must have been an impressive tower in North Philly when it was built. I hope you have similar background on some of the other shots you posted (and I hope some correct guesses come in . . . don't be shy FBR).

Old 08-15-2014, 08:14 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,923,705 times
Cool thread idea, Pine to Vine-and nice new username!

#7 sticks out the most to me-it's at 6th and Ritner in South Philly and I've driven/walked by often. I think it may be a Buddhist Temple of some sort but the building is very cool and statues around it pretty creepy.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=6th+a...bZCPsAE_d1N--w

Old 08-15-2014, 09:00 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,747,789 times
Quote:
^^^ Thanks - very interesting. At 14 stories, it must have been an impressive tower in North Philly when it was built. I hope you have similar background on some of the other shots you posted (and I hope some correct guesses come in . . . don't be shy FBR).
I have a friend who worked there back in the 1970s so I have been inside. Nothing that impressive internally at that time.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Cool thread idea, Pine to Vine-and nice new username!

#7 sticks out the most to me-it's at 6th and Ritner in South Philly and I've driven/walked by often. I think it may be a Buddhist Temple of some sort but the building is very cool and statues around it pretty creepy.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=6th+a...bZCPsAE_d1N--w
yup, it is a buddhist temple serving South Philly's Cambodian community. I found their website: Temple in South Philadelphia, PA | Preah Buddha Rangsey Temple
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia