Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 11:30 AM

898 posts, read 937,676 times

Advertisements

I visited Philly for the first time this past weekend and I must say that the drivers there are absolutely nuts. I'm guessing this is an east coast, big city thing. Here are just a few things I noticed and that left me traumatized:
  1. Honk at every little nuisance. Honestly, the sounds of car horns resonating throughout town could have formed a symphony.
  2. Turn signals aren't for asking for permission to move over, they're for telling you to get out of my effing way. Honestly, there was no waiting to be let in. It was signal, and then bolt over rapidly into the next lane regardless of where the traffic was on either side of you.
  3. If there is a gap in traffic even half the size of an economy car, drivers will wedge right in immediately without a second thought or concern for the cars near them.
  4. Flip people off and make nasty faces at them for every trivial traffic "misconduct". My friend was trying to get out a spot that she parallel parked in and we had a blind spot behind us where two roads merged together. Instead of stopping and letting us get out, drivers roared by waving frantically looking as if they could have killed us for attempting to pull out in front of them.
Having lived extensively in Metro Detroit and Metro Denver, I can confidently say that I've never experienced traffic so intense or traumatizing as I have there in Philly. Kudos to you regular Philly drivers who deal with this on a daily basis and who aren't alcoholics or drug addicts as a result.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 11:46 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,934,015 times
Haha-sounds about right.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:27 PM

364 posts, read 732,754 times
Indeed that is about right. My philosophy: unless you're OK with the possibility of having your bumper scratched, or a friendly love letter from the PPA, and you can drive with the Phily atty-toode, leave the car at home and take septa.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:29 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,258,471 times
I don't drive here very often, as I'm able to walk to pretty much every place I need to go. On those times I do drive I actually find drivers on the 95 and the Schuylkill more polite then I did drivers on Houston's freeways (as frightening as this may seem to Philly natives). For example, drivers are more inclined to let oncoming traffic enter the highways and also I notice a lot less "aggressive" lane shifting. Also, drivers here generally seem to recognize that slow drivers should move to the right. In the city itself, as for the honking, I find the taxi drivers do most of that. The one thing I do look for when I find people driving aggressively are the car's license plates. It seems more often than not those cars are from New Jersey.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:31 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,697,111 times
Philly is not a city made for driving - therefore, if you visit Philly - don't drive!

Since Philly was built before the car, it makes driving conditions more difficult than usual, hence the aggravation and aggression of most Northeastern driers. This isn't just a Philly thing P.S.- they're ten times worse in New York, and just as bad in Boston and DC.

Detroit is named motor city- the city revolves around the car, and newer Southern/western cities are built to accommodate the car where Philly was built to accommodate pedestrians, public transit, and horse and buggy lol.

Next time you come, do yourself a favor and don't drive. Your experience will be much more pleasant.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:53 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
I don't drive here very often, as I'm able to walk to pretty much every place I need to go. On those times I do drive I actually find drivers on the 95 and the Schuylkill more polite then I did drivers on Houston's freeways (as frightening as this may seem to Philly natives). For example, drivers are more inclined to let oncoming traffic enter the highways and also I notice a lot less "aggressive" lane shifting. Also, drivers here generally seem to recognize that slow drivers should move to the right. In the city itself, as for the honking, I find the taxi drivers do most of that. The one thing I do look for when I find people driving aggressively are the car's license plates. It seems more often than not those cars are from New Jersey.
Having driven in Philly & South Jersey for decades, you pretty much sum up my experiences of driving in the city. For instance: people alternate when it's time to merge when you're going from the Vine St Expressway to the Sure-kill. It's polite & efficient. Conversely, when people don't want to play nicely, it is pretty common to flip the bird.

Over the years of driving on both sides of the river, I found that there's a strong correlation between aggressive driving styles used by drivers in the NY metro. Just because the plate says NJ doesn't mean that they're local.

Then there's the unlicensed drivers driving in Philly. . .they're best described as creative.

Last edited by southbound_295; 08-18-2014 at 02:01 PM..

Old 08-18-2014, 02:15 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,258,471 times
^^^ Funny. Actually, I thought I'd just try to rattle a few NJ chains. For the most part drivers here are pretty courteous, especially considering how tight the streets are here in Center City and the fewer number of lanes we have on our interstates compared with cities with newer highways. I've noticed good respect for green lights - which is good given the pedestrian traffic. I drove the Houston freeways for 26 years so am used to aggressive drivers. My guess is the traffic the OP is used to in Denver is a lot softer than that in bigger cities.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
^^^ Funny. Actually, I thought I'd just try to rattle a few NJ chains. For the most part drivers here are pretty courteous, especially considering how tight the streets are here in Center City and the fewer number of lanes we have on our interstates compared with cities with newer highways. I've noticed good respect for green lights - which is good given the pedestrian traffic. I drove the Houston freeways for 26 years so am used to aggressive drivers. My guess is the traffic the OP is used to in Denver is a lot softer than that in bigger cities.
I had to commute from Cherry Hill to City Line Ave during the Schuylkill reconstruction. Want to talk about fun. . .

I love Philly & have no problem driving there. While I now live near Charlotte, I live in an area where the majority of transplants are from Philly & South Jersey. It's pretty peaceful to drive here but when you get into Charlotte & have to tangle with the drivers from NY, North Jersey, & LI. . .well those people think that laying on the horn is part of the driving experience.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:47 PM

38 posts, read 37,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguirk View Post
leave the car at home and take septa.

That's advice I follow in every major East Coast city.

Old 08-18-2014, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DM1N View Post
I visited Philly for the first time this past weekend and I must say that the drivers there are absolutely nuts. I'm guessing this is an east coast, big city thing. Here are just a few things I noticed and that left me traumatized:
  1. Honk at every little nuisance. Honestly, the sounds of car horns resonating throughout town could have formed a symphony.
  2. Turn signals aren't for asking for permission to move over, they're for telling you to get out of my effing way. Honestly, there was no waiting to be let in. It was signal, and then bolt over rapidly into the next lane regardless of where the traffic was on either side of you.
  3. If there is a gap in traffic even half the size of an economy car, drivers will wedge right in immediately without a second thought or concern for the cars near them.
  4. Flip people off and make nasty faces at them for every trivial traffic "misconduct". My friend was trying to get out a spot that she parallel parked in and we had a blind spot behind us where two roads merged together. Instead of stopping and letting us get out, drivers roared by waving frantically looking as if they could have killed us for attempting to pull out in front of them.
Having lived extensively in Metro Detroit and Metro Denver, I can confidently say that I've never experienced traffic so intense or traumatizing as I have there in Philly. Kudos to you regular Philly drivers who deal with this on a daily basis and who aren't alcoholics or drug addicts as a result.
1.) I've been in Philly when there is gridlock & never heard a symphony of car horns.

2.) Were you trying to force yourself in at a merge? Your turn signal doesn't give you the right to do that if it isn't your turn . Not letting someone in when it is their turn is also not going to endear you. It probably will get you a salute.

3.) In 40 years of driving in Philly I never saw that one time.

4.) When you get flipped off you've done something. I've gotten in & out of parking spots in Society Hill, Olde City, Center City, on the Parkway. . .never was flipped the bird. Not one time.

How about driving around the Baltimore Beltway & cruising around Atlanta, then get back to us about the driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia