Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 05:13 AM

1,983 posts, read 7,494,732 times

Advertisements

To prove that Rainrock lives in delusional world. I proved that highest price per square foot is in NJ. Other than that, as I stated at the start of this thread, housing costs in the regional are basically comparable. Camden County has smaller much older homes that aren't worth much. And it includes Camden where you can get a house for $20K. That's not representative of the area. And you get no land for your money with higher taxes.

And for all of you looking for a house, always calculate price by square foot and use many examples of comparables, don't just do it for one house here, one house there and consider the lot size. An 800,000 house with 10 acres can be less expensive than a $500,000 house with 0.50 acres.

And lastly, ever heard of the 'Mount Laurel decision'? It states that towns in NJ must offer a certain amount of affordable housing. This decision came about in 1975 because residents sued the township that ML was attempting to exclude low and moderate income folks. As a result, in the 1980s, ML, now with 40,000 residents, built some of the largest concentration of condos in the region. This led to the State of NJ to adopt the 'Fair Housing Act'. Population in ML doubled in a 10 year period.

So any statistical measure of the median sales price in ML is not indicative of what a true 3/4 bedroom/2.5 bath house costs. Towns in SJ are required by law to increase affordable housing to this day. This dramatically skews the numbers. You have no similar legislation in PA.

Last edited by MoorestownResident; 02-12-2008 at 06:48 AM..

Old 02-12-2008, 06:34 AM

13,248 posts, read 33,358,091 times
Taking a job at Temple (downtown). Never lived in the region before. Priorities are schools and safe neighborhoods, as well as getting value for my money. I'm looking at areas like merion station, bala cynwyd, narberth, etc. in Philly suburbs. Seems like I could get more house for the money in a place like Cherry Hill, NJ. What are the pros/cons?
THANKS.

Just in case anyone is interested in the OP's question....

I find this discussion interesting as most of my family lives in SOUTH Jersey, Cumberland County, and to think that it's even considered in the same conversation as the Main Line is kind of funny. Don't get me wrong, the large town that they live in has nice houses and great recreational areas but their schools also have gangs and quite a bit of problems. As I drive to get to my folks house I now pass lots of developments instead of the beautiful farmland. I never lived in NJ because my parents moved to Delaware before they had me and then retired there long after I had gotten married and moved away.

I guess I'm just confused about the definition of South Jersey because I'm not familiar with the areas that you are talking about Moorestown man, they seem more like Central Jersey.

Is the area just over the Commodore Barry and Del Mem. Bridges considered part of the Greater Phil. area? Seems to me that anything within 15 miles or so of the River on the NJ side would be considered within commuting distance of Philadelphia. It's certainly seems more South Jersey (to me anyway) then Princeton.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:46 AM

Cumberland County is getting too far out, you will get more house for your money than areas previously discussed. The only areas of SJ that are still relatively affordable are those deep southern counties that closer to Delaware. The economic value and media market of the Greater Philadelphia Region aka the Delaware Valley stretches into Mercer County, these towns, which sit opposite of Bucks County and in many cases south of Bucks, cannot be excluded. It is part of the region.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:06 AM

1,000 posts, read 3,592,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident View Post

And lastly, ever heard of the 'Mount Laurel decision'? It states that towns in NJ must offer a certain amount of affordable housing. This decision came about in 1975 because residents sued the township that ML was attempting to exclude low and moderate income folks. As a result, in the 1980s, ML, now with 40,000 residents, built some of the largest concentration of condos in the region. This led to the State of NJ to adopt the 'Fair Housing Act'. Population in ML doubled in a 10 year period.

Moorestown paid Maple Shade and other towns to take on their low income housing, no?

So the Mt Laurel decision is really irrevalent where Moorestown is concerned.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:10 AM

Efforts are being made in town right now to increase affordable housing. And some already exists in town. That was a well documented landmark decision in NJ that affects every town. Some towns have tried to shift their requirements to neighboring towns from what I understand. But that doesn't change the averages at the county level.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:27 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,062,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Taking a job at Temple (downtown). Never lived in the region before. Priorities are schools and safe neighborhoods, as well as getting value for my money. I'm looking at areas like merion station, bala cynwyd, narberth, etc. in Philly suburbs. Seems like I could get more house for the money in a place like Cherry Hill, NJ. What are the pros/cons?
THANKS.
Cherry Hill is almost the poster child for suburban sprawl, but it does have a very nice housing stock. It's also close to Center City (w/ no traffic, it's like 10 minutes). The schools are good, but I think either East or West is considered "better." Someone else can answer that. Many of good restaurants are in or near CH, and there's plenty of shopping as well.

Merion Station is expensive. Narberth is not as expensive as Merion Station. Bala Cynwyd is a decent area with great old homes, but there has been some deterioration along Route 1. Bala/Merion are also the current home to the Barnes Foundation, the largest collection of Matisse/Cezanne/Renoir works outside of Paris. (There also quite a few Picasso's as well). I guess these areas are about as far from Center City as Cherry Hill.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
Cherry Hill is almost the poster child for suburban sprawl, but it does have a very nice housing stock. It's also close to Center City (w/ no traffic, it's like 10 minutes). The schools are good, but I think either East or West is considered "better." Someone else can answer that. Many of good restaurants are in or near CH, and there's plenty of shopping as well.

Merion Station is expensive. Narberth is not as expensive as Merion Station. Bala Cynwyd is a decent area with great old homes, but there has been some deterioration along Route 1. Bala/Merion are also the current home to the Barnes Foundation, the largest collection of Matisse/Cezanne/Renoir works outside of Paris. (There also quite a few Picasso's as well). I guess these areas are about as far from Center City as Cherry Hill.
CH East is better than West. For $3 million you can get 7 bed/8.5 bath house in Cherry Hill on 1.75 acres, in Merion you'll get a house for $2.3 million with 7 bedrooms/4.5 baths on the same acreage.The redevelopment of the Garden State racetrack is going to bring more traffic to an already congested area.

The difference is CH has much more housing stock and you can find small older 4 bedroom houses in the $300K range. I personally would not move into CH at this point. It was developed in the 70s/80s and housing stock is old, with split levels, etc., schools are good. If you can afford the higher end with the high taxes, that's the only way I'd do it.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:45 AM

1,000 posts, read 3,592,260 times
Dude you really are dellusional... Moorestown is great, for yuppies and wannabees.

LOL.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:46 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,159,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident View Post
Towns in SJ are required by law to increase affordable housing to this day. This dramatically skews the numbers. You have no similar legislation in PA.

If thats the case why then (according to you) are the Pa suburbs blue collar trailer trash and South Jersey this filthy rich robust economic machine that is carrying the region? It just doesnt add up. None of the info you provided adds up especially the few ambiguous,random SQ. footage reports from MSL.

Moorestown is a nice town,I'd put it in the top 7 towns in the region along with Doylestown,West Chester,Media,Chestnut Hill,Mainline towns,Haddonfield.

Overall though the Pa.suburbs are the economic engine of the region. The Pa suburbs are oriented towards corporate parks, bio medical,pharmaceuticals,finance and higher learning, wheras SJ is geared more towards industrial parks along 295 and bedroom communities to center city.

The Pa suburbs have 60 M sq feet of occupied office space. Center City has 40 M. sq feet. South jersey has 20 M Sq feet.New Castle Co. DEl has 20 M sq feet.

You also have to take landscape into account. This is where the burbs especially the further burbs in Chester,Montgomery + Bucks counties really seperates itself from South Jersey. If you ever take a ride out to Doylestown/Valley Forge/KOP/Exton/West Chester/Chadds Ford you will see the difference from South Jersey and why this area became a professional magnet.I have high hopes for South Jersey to eventually pilfer some professional jobs/people from North jersey but its not there yet.

Last edited by rainrock; 02-15-2008 at 10:41 PM..

Old 02-15-2008, 11:09 PM

1,623 posts, read 6,505,031 times
Hmm I wonder where all those SJ professionals are going to work each morning...or is PATCO just there to enable us trailer-living knucklescrapers to cross the river and genuflect in the shimmery beams of the jewel of the tri-state area, Camden?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia