Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 05:54 PM

25 posts, read 39,428 times

Advertisements

Guys

My search for dream house continues and has me looking at this house in Dutton mill subdivison of Brookhaven. Looking at some demographics, 15k ppl, 2k black, 177 asians. So we are married Indian couple in our late 20's,planning to settle down and have kids. I have heard that this town is not racially diverse and is ignorant. Is this true?

I am not sure if you have heard of Findlay,OH where literally ppl were staring at me when I walked into at buffalo wild wings. It was creepy and uncomfortable, not sure whether it was "you eat chicken?!" facial expression or " look Kevin, that's what Asian Indian looks like". I don't believe Brookhaven to be like Findlay but don't want to feel uneasy when I walk around in town.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 01:01 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Findlay is a Cincinnati suburb, yes? I've been through Cincy a few times and I recall its Ohio suburbs being very, very white. Still, I wouldn't have expected the reaction you received at Buffalo Wild Wings.

Brookhaven is "okay"; it's towards the end of a string of generally solid working-to-middle-class towns on or near Route 13 with more prosperous areas to its north and mostly more struggling neighborhoods to its (south)west.

The following two threads may serve as a bit of a primer of what neighborhoods and towns tend to be most popular with Asian Indians.

Indian community in Philly area

Indian community near downtown Philadelphia

If those are an accurate reflection, it may be worth looking into Secane, Morton and Springfield for housing values in a similar range. If want to be immersed in a "United Nations"-type feel, Millbourne may be ideal.

Old 09-01-2014, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Findlay is a Cincinnati suburb, yes? I've been through Cincy a few times and I recall its Ohio suburbs being very, very white. Still, I wouldn't have expected the reaction you received at Buffalo Wild Wings.

Brookhaven is "okay"; it's towards the end of a string of generally solid working-to-middle-class towns on or near Route 13 with more prosperous areas to its north and mostly more struggling neighborhoods to its (south)west.

The following two threads may serve as a bit of a primer of what neighborhoods and towns tend to be most popular with Asian Indians.

Indian community in Philly area

Indian community near downtown Philadelphia

If those are an accurate reflection, it may be worth looking into Secane, Morton and Springfield for housing values in a similar range. If want to be immersed in a "United Nations"-type feel, Millbourne may be ideal.
Thank you for your input. Being predominately in white community does not bother me at all,its the ignorance that hurts.
Anyways, I went and checked it out and I have to admit Brookhaven was a nice little town. This property was close to the new Coeburn elementary school with Giant ,Wawa and pathmark within a mile. Brookhaven gets a bad rep just because its proximity to chester county but the town itself seem quiet and good to raise a family. On some blocks, I saw newer properties with pools and well maintained backyard. That area looked just like Broomall, I think its completely unfair to the residents there to call it ghetto. Diversity seem thin but definitely did not feel like an outcast. Affordable properties with decent taxes and schools is a plus, we are considering making an offer soon.

Old 09-01-2014, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysbleedgreen View Post
Thank you for your input. Being predominately in white community does not bother me at all,its the ignorance that hurts.
Anyways, I went and checked it out and I have to admit Brookhaven was a nice little town. This property was close to the new Coeburn elementary school with Giant ,Wawa and pathmark within a mile. Brookhaven gets a bad rep just because its proximity to chester county but the town itself seem quiet and good to raise a family. On some blocks, I saw newer properties with pools and well maintained backyard. That area looked just like Broomall, I think its completely unfair to the residents there to call it ghetto. Diversity seem thin but definitely did not feel like an outcast. Affordable properties with decent taxes and schools is a plus, we are considering making an offer soon.
I think you mean the City of Chester rather than Chester County but I understand what you mean. Again, Brookhaven itself is okay; it's just close to some communities that are less than desirable.

I understand that you may not feel a need to live near a particular large Indian population; I just wanted to point out areas where you're the least likely to receive a double take.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:14 PM

Quote:
I think you mean the City of Chester rather than Chester County but I understand what you mean. Again, Brookhaven itself is okay; it's just close to some communities that are less than desirable.

I understand that you may not feel a need to live near a particular large Indian population; I just wanted to point out areas where you're the least likely to receive a double take.
Just like drexel hill is surrounded by Upper Darby?

Old 09-02-2014, 05:50 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
If good public schools are necessary, Brookhaven is a better choice over Drexel Hill.

I would suggest Aston because it is nicer town than Brookhaven with more options in the housing stock, however, Aston is whiter and more conservative than Brookhaven, not that you would be exiled from the community, just a factor to know about.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:03 AM

Quote:
I lived in Upper Darby from the mid-90s to early-00's and admittedly moved out when my apartment complex appeared to be declining. While there may be more desirable towns in Delaware County, I wouldn't put in in the same league as, say, Chester. Your point is well taken, though.

Old 09-02-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
I lived in Upper Darby from the mid-90s to early-00's and admittedly moved out when my apartment complex appeared to be declining. While there may be more desirable towns in Delaware County, I wouldn't put in in the same league as, say, Chester. Your point is well taken, though.

Which is worse upper darby or chester? What do people mean by influx of ppl from Chester into Brookhaven? Do they mean in housing, but stats show only 9% minority presence while 91% are white.

Is the term "influx" referring to ppl trying to get into Penn Delco school,just like west philly did to Upper Darby?

[LEFT]

[/LEFT]

Old 09-03-2014, 05:31 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
Which is worse upper darby or chester? What do people mean by influx of ppl from Chester into Brookhaven? Do they mean in housing, but stats show only 9% minority presence while 91% are white.

Is the term "influx" referring to ppl trying to get into Penn Delco school,just like west philly did to Upper Darby?

[LEFT]

[/LEFT]

The Penn Delco School District is made up of Parkside and Brookhaven boroughs, and Aston Township, and a small portion of the Media zipcode is also in Penn Delco.

The "influx" is referring to people from Chester either moving to or frequenting the area. It is mostly Parkside. Parkside is very small and surrounded by Chester and has majorly gone down hill, Brookhaven is larger therefore has more of a barrier and a larger more expensive housing stock hindering the influx from Chester, the only thing that makes Brookhaven look a little crummy are some of the shopping centers on Edgemont ave, they need some major updating. There are however plans in the works to demolish and redevelop at least one of them.

Aston Township has really no influx from Chester because it is further away and significantly more expensive housing stock. Aston can vary from small cape cods to large 4000sqft homes. Out of all 3 towns Aston is by far the best bet as it is a typical middle/upper middle class family suburban town. Brookhaven is okay, it is just more working class.

And in general there is nothing wrong with the Penn Delco school district. Chester is not large enough to cause a significant problem to the neighboring school districts and there is a much higher concentration of wealth surrounding Chester unlike Upper Darby and West Philly. Penn Delco is not as prestigious as Rose Tree Media School, or Garnet Valley Schools, but leaps and bounds ahead of Chester and Upper Darby, and I would not have any hesitations sending my children there if I had children.

Old 09-03-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
The Penn Delco School District is made up of Parkside and Brookhaven boroughs, and Aston Township, and a small portion of the Media zipcode is also in Penn Delco.

The "influx" is referring to people from Chester either moving to or frequenting the area. It is mostly Parkside. Parkside is very small and surrounded by Chester and has majorly gone down hill, Brookhaven is larger therefore has more of a barrier and a larger more expensive housing stock hindering the influx from Chester, the only thing that makes Brookhaven look a little crummy are some of the shopping centers on Edgemont ave, they need some major updating. There are however plans in the works to demolish and redevelop at least one of them.

Aston Township has really no influx from Chester because it is further away and significantly more expensive housing stock. Aston can vary from small cape cods to large 4000sqft homes. Out of all 3 towns Aston is by far the best bet as it is a typical middle/upper middle class family suburban town. Brookhaven is okay, it is just more working class.

And in general there is nothing wrong with the Penn Delco school district. Chester is not large enough to cause a significant problem to the neighboring school districts and there is a much higher concentration of wealth surrounding Chester unlike Upper Darby and West Philly. Penn Delco is not as prestigious as Rose Tree Media School, or Garnet Valley Schools, but leaps and bounds ahead of Chester and Upper Darby, and I would not have any hesitations sending my children there if I had children.

Thanks for your input, majority ppl at work told me not to consider just because of Chester. Although we liked the area, doing some more research on real estate sales before we put in an offer.
Again,thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia