Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 02:41 PM

23 posts, read 37,938 times

Advertisements

Anyone who doesn't want to live where I want to live is an idiot!

...both sides of this argument are really stupid
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 03:07 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,939,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon2014 View Post
I have been to many cities in this country and in other countries. I have never seen anyone keep their house plants on a chain. That is the definition of a ghetto. Anything that is not bolted down gets stolen.
You are wrong.

I'm originally from New York City. Things like plants, urns, outdoor ornaments get stolen ALL THE TIME even in the best neighborhoods such as midtown Manhattan, Greenwich Village, Park Slope, Cobble Hill, Brooklyn Heights, Forest Hills, Fresh Meadows, Jamaica Estates, etc.

Your post is just a gratuitous attack on Philly.

As far as being "stupid" for buying a property here in West Philly's Spruce Hill neighborhood I will tell you that in the dozen years since I owned this 6 bedroom, three story, three fireplace 120 year old Victorian "Twin" the market value of my home jumped from $175,000 to half a million dollars (that's right -- it tripled in value -- believe it!) . My friends and relatives congratulate me on my wise investment ... but to you it was an act of stupidity.

Old 09-05-2014, 03:18 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,651,760 times
leave NYC out of it - I have rural/suburban acquanintances who used to get a kick out of stealing lawn jockeys and smashing mailboxes from their cars!

Old 09-05-2014, 10:34 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,392,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon2014 View Post
But you still live in the ghetto where your plants have to be chained up, and you bicycle will be cannibalized once the sun sets.....
Look up the definition of what a ghetto is. 1/2M properties don't quite fit the definition. It's a city. Not right, not wrong, just is. Lock your bike up inside preferably or chain the tires to the lock.

Also, don't leave iPads, ipods, backpacks in the front seat of your car...

Don't leave your door unlocked.

More house for your money? Go far enough and you get more farm for your money, seriously, acreage. But then you're living on a farm and Starbuck's is so, so far away.

Old 09-06-2014, 04:29 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
Cool. How's your subway access over there?
Don't need it, I own a car and through a odd set circumstances there is now 5 of them in the driveway. but I hear nothing but birds in the morning and mostly silence throughout the day.

Quote:
Can ya walk to work?
Sure can because I work at home, if I had to travel to work it would start around 10 minute drive. My commute was 25 minutes but it was a nice drive over less traveled roads.

Quote:
World class restaurants on your block? Got a lot of concert halls and theaters nearby?
I prefer to cook at home simply because I enjoy cooking and do it very well but there is a nice country restaurant and bar right down the road. I wouldn't call them world class but better restaurants start around 10 miles away. There is 10K seat arena about 25 minutes away and if I want to see something bigger I'll head to Philly or somewhere else for a day trip. We usually make a trip out of it, see some sites etc. and if it's further destination even stay overnight.

Quote:
Can you not comprehend that other people have different priorities than you?
I'm not in the suburbs, the woods go for miles behind my house but there is plenty of friendly neighbors along the road I live on. I can understand that people want different things but frankly I can't see paying that much for housing. If the house I live in was located in one of these areas close to the city it's a million+ dollar home and it cost about $200K here.

Old 09-06-2014, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post

Again, plenty of people experience theft/property crime -- everywhere.
That's accurate to some degree but honestly you could leave a bike laying out in the front yard where I live and the chances of it being gone in the morning are nil. Even when I lived in town crime was minimal. I wouldn't leave a bike laying around there now but when I was kid you could.

Old 09-06-2014, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
.... and smashing mailboxes from their cars!
LOL... yes mailbox destruction is a high profile crime here. That's why ours has a steel pole going through the box. If someone hits it with a bat they are going to get a big surprise.

Old 09-06-2014, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
Starbuck's is so, so far away.
My coffee tastes better, is far cheaper and only take me a few minutes to make. If there was a starbucks across the street I wouldn't use it anyway.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:40 AM

2,471 posts, read 4,017,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Don't need it, I own a car and through a odd set circumstances there is now 5 of them in the driveway. but I hear nothing but birds in the morning and mostly silence throughout the day.

Sure can because I work at home, if I had to travel to work it would start around 10 minute drive. My commute was 25 minutes but it was a nice drive over less traveled roads.

I prefer to cook at home simply because I enjoy cooking and do it very well but there is a nice country restaurant and bar right down the road. I wouldn't call them world class but better restaurants start around 10 miles away. There is 10K seat arena about 25 minutes away and if I want to see something bigger I'll head to Philly or somewhere else for a day trip. We usually make a trip out of it, see some sites etc. and if it's further destination even stay overnight.

I'm not in the suburbs, the woods go for miles behind my house but there is plenty of friendly neighbors along the road I live on. I can understand that people want different things but frankly I can't see paying that much for housing. If the house I live in was located in one of these areas close to the city it's a million+ dollar home and it cost about $200K here.
Living in the woods with 5 cars and without any type of excitement within miles is my personal nightmare. I couldn't imagine living somewhere so boring and isolated. We lived in NE Philly for a year while my wife worked in Princeton and I've never felt so isolated and cut off from the world. Living in actual woods? I couldn't even imagine.

You say your house would be worth a million dollars if you lived closed to the city? Well you don't. Haven't you ever heard "location, Location, Location? " My house was dilapidated when I purchased it. If it wasn't in the middle of a desirable Philadelphian neighborhood it would have been worth nothing. People pay a premium to live in the city, if they can afford it why do you care what they do?

Old 09-06-2014, 09:28 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,756,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
You are wrong.

I'm originally from New York City. Things like plants, urns, outdoor ornaments get stolen ALL THE TIME even in the best neighborhoods such as midtown Manhattan, Greenwich Village, Park Slope, Cobble Hill, Brooklyn Heights, Forest Hills, Fresh Meadows, Jamaica Estates, etc.

Your post is just a gratuitous attack on Philly.

As far as being "stupid" for buying a property here in West Philly's Spruce Hill neighborhood I will tell you that in the dozen years since I owned this 6 bedroom, three story, three fireplace 120 year old Victorian "Twin" the market value of my home jumped from $175,000 to half a million dollars (that's right -- it tripled in value -- believe it!) . My friends and relatives congratulate me on my wise investment ... but to you it was an act of stupidity.
Clark P, folks like the OP never "hear" what folks like us say over and over about the positive aspects of city living. It's just not a point of view they share. And you will never change their minds although he/she claims to live in CC.

I grew up in Haverford, a pretty swank area in many minds. But nothing will ever get me to live there again.
For me it was beyond boring and the people were two dimensional and insular.

And speaking of property type crimes? My car was broken into sitting in my mother's driveway in.... Haverford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia