Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 09:39 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,747,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
I was pretty disappointed. From all I read about the redesign, I thought it was going to be a space where people would want to linger. Like Becca said on the previous page, somewhere I had also gotten the impression that it was going to be softened with lots of grass and greenery. Based on what I saw on Thursday, it struck me as a park I would simply pass through rather than a place I would want to hang out in. I also have a concern about the fountains. Yes, it was great to see the children playing and having fun, but so many times it seems water features are not maintained and simply break. And they do comprise a fairly large component of the park. Hopefully, however, I'm being unnecessarily pessimistic about their reliability.

All this said, it is a considerable improvement over the old space. I think it's going to be a particularly appealing when they set up the ice skating around the holidays. And I think they did a great job with the SEPTA entrances. Finally, I realize I'm judging an incomplete picture. There's a major part of the park, perhaps one third, that is yet to be completed. My gut tells me that when the whole space is finished, it's going to be a much more cohesive and inviting park than what we have available to us right now.
The spray park/water features at Roberto Clemente and Sister Cities Parks(two parks I'm around almost daily) survived the harsh winter. So hopefully the same care will be provided at Dilworth P.

Additionally I wondered why the chairs, tables and umbrellas were so few. The University City District did a much better job of utilizing them at The Porch at 30th St Station.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 09:47 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,885,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
I was pretty disappointed. From all I read about the redesign, I thought it was going to be a space where people would want to linger. Like Becca said on the previous page, somewhere I had also gotten the impression that it was going to be softened with lots of grass and greenery. Based on what I saw on Thursday, it struck me as a park I would simply pass through rather than a place I would want to hang out in. I also have a concern about the fountains. Yes, it was great to see the children playing and having fun, but so many times it seems water features are not maintained and simply break. And they do comprise a fairly large component of the park. Hopefully, however, I'm being unnecessarily pessimistic about their reliability.

All this said, it is a considerable improvement over the old space. I think it's going to be a particularly appealing when they set up the ice skating around the holidays. And I think they did a great job with the SEPTA entrances. Finally, I realize I'm judging an incomplete picture. There's a major part of the park, perhaps one third, that is yet to be completed. My gut tells me that when the whole space is finished, it's going to be a much more cohesive and inviting park than what we have available to us right now.
walked through for the first time last evening and agree on all account

Also I was disappointed with the size of the cafe (1/3rd of the structure).

Using Union Sq in SF as a comparator is much softer, a larger cafe and bar space. Hope this gets better and am curious to see the skating aspect and whether I can get an irish coffee while watching skaters

Old 09-09-2014, 10:55 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,524,065 times
Don't know how that movie night tonight will work with no grass...

A Guide To Upcoming Programming At Dilworth Park: Movie Nights, Oktoberfest, Pop-Up Shops, Concerts And More | Uwishunu - Philadelphia Blog About Things to Do, Events, Restaurants, Food, Nightlife and More

Old 09-10-2014, 10:20 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,524,065 times
Is this LOVE?

Old 09-10-2014, 02:51 PM

1,567 posts, read 3,115,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
Don't forget to read the comments that follow. Most of those people are negative to the point of being toxic. They are Old Philly (in a bad way) and this city will be better when they all die off.

Old 09-10-2014, 07:53 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,989,104 times
It looks very nice but 15th and Market has never been one of my favorite areas of center city due to the congestion but the Plaza is nice to look at in passing. I am interested in seeing how the ice skating rink will look once the winter season starts.

Old 09-10-2014, 07:54 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,989,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
It's a big improvement over what it was before. Not enough trees, though. I have a HUGE concern about how it will be maintained and whether it will become a sleeping/toilet facility for the homeless. The city has a tendency to be less than vigilant with maintenance.
Is it just me or does the front of city hall kind of kill the newness of the Dilworth Plaza?

Old 09-11-2014, 06:20 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,317,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
It looks very nice but 15th and Market has never been one of my favorite areas of center city due to the congestion but the Plaza is nice to look at in passing. I am interested in seeing how the ice skating rink will look once the winter season starts.
I hope that the city puts some effort into the Christmas Tree this year. If the ice rink looks like the renders accompanied by a smaller version of the Rockefeller Tree that would be a huge improvement over the usual tree the city gets. The Rittenhouse Square Association has always had a much larger and better decorated tree in the past.

Old 09-11-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
Don't forget to read the comments that follow. Most of those people are negative to the point of being toxic. They are Old Philly (in a bad way) and this city will be better when they all die off.
There was one pretty persistent troll commenting with a bunch of runaway negativity. You simply never know if they are just trying to bait people. My reaction to most of it was he/she/it wasn't around in the 70s when Center City really was dirty.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I hope that the city puts some effort into the Christmas Tree this year. If the ice rink looks like the renders accompanied by a smaller version of the Rockefeller Tree that would be a huge improvement over the usual tree the city gets. The Rittenhouse Square Association has always had a much larger and better decorated tree in the past.
Dunno if this is still true but the City Hall tree has, traditionally, been donated by a city resident. That is it was growing on their property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia