Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 01:19 PM

2 posts, read 2,131 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
Due to my religion and mental pressure, I really can not live this apt ( there is a large cemetery beside it). And before I move in, no one informed me about this. Now I want to discuss with the landlord to end our lease and move out earlier, but he says I should live until the next tenant come. But I really can not live here. And this apt is not popular. What should I do now?
Here is the story.
I am new to my current living place. I look for my current apt online. When I want to learn more about this apt, they asked me to have a tour. However, due to my schedule, I can not visit here. Instead, they send me a several pictures. But from their home pictures and description, I can not see there is a cemetery nearby. I notice this until I moved in. I did not have a good sleep from the day I moved in. And I contacted the landlord at the 3rd day. He says he will contact the agent and seek the next tenant. But I really can not wait for the next tenant come. So I suggest I can move out right now, pay this month rent and cover the agent cost. Agent agrees my suggestion. But the landlord still insists I need to wait. And now he does not response my text.
According to the contract, I need to give him at least 90 days written notice (I message him by cellphone) and pay rent until the next tenant. But I think he has obligation to tell me the environment nearby before I sign the contract. And the landlord has fault on this issue.
So what should I do?
Hope I can have your suggestions.
Best,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 01:35 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
Do what the landlord recommends. You signed a lease without physically seeing the apartment. You have no one to blame but yourself.

Old 09-06-2014, 01:49 PM

2 posts, read 2,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Do what the landlord recommends. You signed a lease without physically seeing the apartment. You have no one to blame but yourself.
But it is a big issue. And according to the relative law, they should provide residential apt. To me, it is not.

Old 09-06-2014, 03:56 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,715,057 times
You've got to be kidding. If this was such a big deal, you could have looked at a map. You need to meet the obligations of your lease.

Old 09-06-2014, 06:36 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,929,395 times
Let's get one thing clear.

1. By laws. Landlord did nothing wrong and you currently have a lease contract with the landlord. Not the agent so forget what the agent tells you. Landlord has no obligation to tell you that there is a cemetery next to the rental unless you asked. You not wanting to live next to one is you personal choice.

2. It very simple to solve your problem. Break the lease and pay whatever penalty that you and the landlord can come to term on for breaking a signed lease.

3. You made the mistake. You pay the penalty.

Old 09-06-2014, 06:54 PM

1,567 posts, read 3,116,791 times
You need to honor the contract you signed. The landlord is not at fault in any way. You should have done your research before moving in. This is totally your fault.

Old 09-06-2014, 07:45 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenHandUser View Post
But it is a big issue. And according to the relative law, they should provide residential apt. To me, it is not.
Read what you wrote. "To me it's not." That is why you should physically see any place you move into.

Old 09-06-2014, 09:39 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,055,033 times
You can leave anytime you wish. Find someplace else to live and leave. However, you are still responsible for this contract. It is your responsibility to do due diligence in choosing a place to live based on your religious beliefs and no one else's. If the landlord says you must pay rent until they find another tenant then that is what you must do or the court will make you pay.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:07 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Do you think you could have a priest or religious person come bless your apartment, and that would make you feel less afraid? At least until you can move. I have to agree with the others, you should have visited in person first. You are obligated to your lease.

But, if you are so frightened that you cannot sleep, move and face the consequences, it is only money and your mental health is worth more. Good luck on this.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:14 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenHandUser View Post
Hi there,
Due to my religion and mental pressure, I really can not live this apt ( there is a large cemetery beside it). And before I move in, no one informed me about this. Now I want to discuss with the landlord to end our lease and move out earlier, but he says I should live until the next tenant come. But I really can not live here. And this apt is not popular. What should I do now?
Here is the story.
I am new to my current living place. I look for my current apt online. When I want to learn more about this apt, they asked me to have a tour. However, due to my schedule, I can not visit here. Instead, they send me a several pictures. But from their home pictures and description, I can not see there is a cemetery nearby. I notice this until I moved in. I did not have a good sleep from the day I moved in. And I contacted the landlord at the 3rd day. He says he will contact the agent and seek the next tenant. But I really can not wait for the next tenant come. So I suggest I can move out right now, pay this month rent and cover the agent cost. Agent agrees my suggestion. But the landlord still insists I need to wait. And now he does not response my text.
According to the contract, I need to give him at least 90 days written notice (I message him by cellphone) and pay rent until the next tenant. But I think he has obligation to tell me the environment nearby before I sign the contract. And the landlord has fault on this issue.
So what should I do?
Hope I can have your suggestions.
Best,

What religion says you cannot live by a Grave Yard?

You signed a lease without looking at the home, you are legally required to uphold your part of the lease you signed or pay a penalty.
One generally makes the time to physically see a home before they pay someone and sign a lease to move into the place.

The landlord's obligation is to tell you about the property you are going to be renting, he is under no legal or moral obligation to tell you about the surrounding area.
This is the reason why YOU make the time to go and see a place before you sign the lease.

I never minded living next to a grave yard, no noise from the neighbors and they didn't mind if you walked through their lawn, respectfully of course and not across them just up and down the rows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia