U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 07:40 PM

7 posts, read 36,582 times

Advertisements

We are looking at job opportunities and one is in Coatesville, PA. I have a few questions that hopefully anyone that's familiar with the area can answer, such as affordable places to live, etc. Are there better/safe neighborhoods or places to avoid? Thanks in advance!

When are you moving? In the next month or so hopefully.

Where are you coming from? Alabama

Why are you moving? Relocating for a job opportunity.

Where will you be working? Coatesville, PA

Have you been here yet? No

Will you buy or rent? Rent

If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend?
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? A house or town home, something with a little more privacy than an apartment would be ideal, but we are flexible. I'm just not a fan of hauling groceries to a third floor apartment or anything. Prefer not to go over 800/mo if possible for a 2 or 3 bedroom.

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Married with two middle school children.

Do you prefer public or private schools? Public but prefer something that is safe and provides a good education.

Do you have pets? no

Do you want or need a yard? Prefer a yard but not necessary, maybe a park I could take the kids to nearby.

Are you keeping a car? yes

Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? calm and quiet

What do you want to be closest to? Shopping, even just a Walmart or grocery store, etc.

Commute to work...He would be working in Coatesville, so within an hour drive or less. How are the area's around Coatesville? Like maybe Gap or something?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 08:07 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,361,308 times
Coatesville is a HUGE zipcode area. There are all types of areas from rural to city. I would avoid the city and try not to have to use the Coatesville school district, which is a mess. Before I left PA to travel, I lived right up the hill in Sadsburyville. I got involved in the town politics and met some great people. You might want to look there? Giving an hour for a commute opens up a world of possibilities if you look off of the main routes like 340, 10 and 30. Going west on Rt. 30 is a whole different world than east, as east gets more philly/suburban and west gets Amish/rural. So, in summation, lots of stuff available, just avoid the City of Coatesville. If you see something you want info on, just ask and lots of people here can give you very concise answers. Good luck

Old 09-15-2014, 10:47 PM

1,567 posts, read 2,964,206 times
Pretty much anywhere in Chester County, with the exception of Coatesville itself, is a good place to live. So it's actually an easy decision. Avoid living in that one town and within its school district and you'll be fine.

Old 09-15-2014, 10:52 PM

Thanks for the info. I guess I could try to narrow it down a bit! In the "ideal" situation being rural wouldn't bother us a bit. We are now living in a small town and love it (about 14k population) and drive about 30 mins into "town" to do mall shopping or see movies. I just wasn't sure how specific of an area I could ask for in our price range. Everything I've seen online is apartments and town homes that are around 1400/mo. That's almost double what we were thinking about.

Having a good school is very important to us, but where we are now, we do supplement at home. (in my opinion the schools aren't great). I'm hoping we get lucky and move to a better school.

Like I said rural or small town would be great. Even a little bigger town if we had to. I'm pretty sure we aren't interested in going east or big city life. We would prefer to stay west of Coatesville, from what we are hearing from people.

Within an hour drive for commute, well that's the MAX. Of course we would prefer within 30 minutes, but again not knowing the area and what there is around there, it's hard to be too picky..

Any other questions that would help steer us in the right direction, please feel free to ask!

Old 09-15-2014, 11:09 PM

Do you know of any websites, local papers that are online, classifieds, or any way of looking at available rentals in the area? Right now we are looking to go somewhere between Lancaster and Coatesville. He would be working on the far left end of Coatesville, close to Sadsburyville. Someone told him they thought Gap was a good area? Any other ideas? I see on the map that there are a lot of small towns around the area. We would like a 2 or 3 bedroom. Most things I'm seeing online are 1 or 2 only.

Old 09-16-2014, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnprincess View Post
Do you know of any websites, local papers that are online, classifieds, or any way of looking at available rentals in the area? Right now we are looking to go somewhere between Lancaster and Coatesville. He would be working on the far left end of Coatesville, close to Sadsburyville. Someone told him they thought Gap was a good area? Any other ideas? I see on the map that there are a lot of small towns around the area. We would like a 2 or 3 bedroom. Most things I'm seeing online are 1 or 2 only.
The way I remember Gap, it is more just an intersection. I guess there is a little more to it than that, but a real nice little laid back small town might be Atglen, very close to Gap.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:59 AM

13,172 posts, read 31,878,922 times
In Pennsylvania, 14,000 is a pretty good size town. Downingtown has an excellent school district but is east of Coatesville, so as thunderkat alluded to, is going to be more expensive. I was going to suggest Octorara Area School District, which is just southwest of Coatesville, but looking on School Digger, Octorara Area Junior/Senior High School in Atglen PA - SchoolDigger.com I see it's not rated very well at all. Ratings are not the be-all, end-all but I use them as a good weeding tool and if there's a district where the HS is rated lower than the state avg, I avoid it. Gap, Atglen and Parkesburg are all in the Octorara School district.

If you are willing to look a little further west, Lampeter-Strasburg is an excellent school district. In this school digger comparison, you'll see it compares well with Downingtown: SchoolDigger.com - Compare Octorara Area Junior/Senior High School to other Pennsylvania schools

I have family whose kids all graduated from L-S High School and have done well in college. http://www.l-spioneers.org/pages/Lampeter-StrasburgSD Strasburg is a kinda touristy town, but I would think fun to live near. You would want to find the back roads to route 30 for awhile, and you will have to avoid the horse and buggy's. My relatives that lived in that area both commuted to Downingtown daily.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 09-16-2014 at 08:30 AM..

Old 09-16-2014, 08:29 AM

13,172 posts, read 31,878,922 times
Quote:
Here's a post that has some links for rentals: http://www.city-data.com/forum/12543173-post2.html

Craigslist for Lancaster county: https://lancaster.craigslist.org/apa/

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 09-17-2014, 01:50 PM

Thank you so much to all of you! You have been very helpful and I really appreciate it.

Old 10-27-2014, 04:32 PM

Quote:
We are officially moving to PA and looking for housing. Any suggestions on where to look? I've tried craigslist, hotpads, etc. Are there online classifieds/newspapers? We're looking for a 2 or 3 bedroom at $1000 or less per month plus utilities. Areas up to 30 minute drive from the west end of Coatesville, PA (by Chester County Airport). Areas we have considered an ok commute would be as far as New Holland, Leola, or the east edge of Lancaster. Also Gap, Christiana, Paradise, Quarryville, etc. Any other suggestions are welcome! Thanks!
My old stomping grounds *sNiFfLe*.
Must try the Gap Diner! But, I digress . . . moved away from PA about 8 years ago, but as mentioned, spent lots of time in the exact areas you are mentioning so I think it would still apply if I mentioned that Rt 30 is a nightmare during high-traffic times. The non-bypass part of 30 is insane with traffic. This could impact you 30 minute commute limit greatly. So, in summation, wherever you look for housing, it would be great if you could avoid having to spend too much time on Rt. 30
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia