Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 10:05 PM

233 posts, read 333,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Of the big cities of the North-east and Mid-Atlantic region - Boston, NYC, Washington, Baltimore - Philly is certainly the most affordable one to live in.
I would have figured that Baltimore would be relatively affordable as well, am I mistaken?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 08:35 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,869,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwanko View Post
I would have figured that Baltimore would be relatively affordable as well, am I mistaken?
Our move to Philly took about five years from end-to-end. Within that time, we had an offer that would have brought us to Baltimore. COL was roughly similar considering our incomes, living preferences, etc. And while Baltimore is a cool city in its own right, I feel you get more for your money in Philly. Both cities have a good number of gentrifying areas to choose from, with Philly probably having more. I assume highbrow living probably goes higher in Philly.

Old 11-12-2014, 12:32 PM

318 posts, read 609,238 times
And here's a related article I found:

Cost of Living: How Expensive is Philadelphia?

Old 11-12-2014, 03:51 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,666,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
Naturally you'd say that,because you're biased to Philly. Ever been to Atlanta or even Jacksonville or Houston,which are actually larger than Philly area-wise...
If you're speaking of the cities & not the metros you should substitute Charlotte for Atlanta. the city of Atlanta is closer to the size of Raleigh.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:20 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,509,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Our move to Philly took about five years from end-to-end. Within that time, we had an offer that would have brought us to Baltimore. COL was roughly similar considering our incomes, living preferences, etc. And while Baltimore is a cool city in its own right, I feel you get more for your money in Philly. Both cities have a good number of gentrifying areas to choose from, with Philly probably having more. I assume highbrow living probably goes higher in Philly.
As a Baltimore resident, I tend to agree that, for comparable real estate, Philly is a hair cheaper. Still home prices in Baltimore City are relatively cheap for an east coast city. The Baltimore Metro area contains a couple of counties that are influenced by DC area home prices and that drives up the Metro averages.

Also, developers are scrambling to bring new rental housing on line in the Baltimore City. At least for now, there is a shortage of quality apartment units. I wouldn't be surprised to see that going on in Philadelphia to some extent.

Old 11-13-2014, 08:54 AM

352 posts, read 550,727 times
Default Suburban cities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack2000 View Post
A suburb has to be sub to an 'urb. Saying Soutern cities like Atlanta and NOLA are overgrown suburbs makes no sense.
I'm grew up in the South, have spent plenty of time in sunbelt cities and what he said makes total sense. Cities where the "downtown" is a cluster of office buildings (so basically a corporate office park), where it becomes a ghost town after everyone gets off work and the rest of the place is single family homes, malls and chain restaurants..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia