U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 11:01 PM

35 posts, read 154,036 times
Wink Walkable and Safe Philadelphia Suburb

I have lived all over the U.S. and I am looking to go back to my roots on the East Coast. I have family in Scranton, PA but I am looking for a nice area that is either in a city or near a decent city. I just can't seem to find that in NEPA and NYC is way too expensive (even though I LOVE Brooklyn) so I'm looking into the Philadelphia area. I don't think that I want to live IN the city of Philly. I can't really say much about it because I haven't spent much time there but I grew up with people that were originally from there and moved because of the really bad crime. If anyone can tell me different, please let me know.

ANYWAY, this is what I am looking for in a town near Philly. If anyone can help me find a good spot that fits this criteria, please let me know

1. Walkable neighborhood. This is very important. I want to be able to walk to the GROCERY store, shopping, restaurants, post office, schools, etc.

2. SAFE and family friendly but isn't so boring that I'll curl up and die from boredom. I am still in my late 20's but I have a daughter too so if it's a fun place and is safe/family friendly that would be awesome.

3. Good public transportation that is within walking distance from most housing. Again, I want to be able to walk to most places but public transportation is good too. I'm tired of living in places where you have to drive everywhere.

4. Good schools.

5. Has to have at least SOME charm. Also, I don't want to be walking on the highway. I want there to be sidewalks and actual downtown-like traits where people feel comfortable walking. Not randomly placed strip malls with no character.

6. Walking distance (again) to parks/recreation.

7. Friendly people. If a place is beautiful but the people are just mean or stuck up....it ruins the whole thing.

You guys get the point. I do have a car but I'm tired of using it to get everywhere. I'm pretty environmentally conscious so it would be better to walk or take mass transit. Also, I lived in Europe for a while and I'm a pretty fond of the whole idea of having everything available within a small mile radius. Not that I expect PA to be anything like Europe but if it happens to have the things mentioned above I'd be happy to be there. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 06:30 AM

1,406 posts, read 2,268,253 times
Media, Swarthmore, West Chester (a little further out from the city), Ambler, Doylestown (further out from the city), to name a few.

Old 01-02-2008, 06:56 AM

679 posts, read 1,780,100 times
Also take a look at Collingswood, NJ. Walkable downtown with tons of restaurants and cafes. Only 15min train ride to downtown Philly.

Old 01-02-2008, 08:23 AM

3,898 posts, read 8,047,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
Media, Swarthmore, West Chester (a little further out from the city), Ambler, Doylestown (further out from the city), to name a few.

I second BPP choices. Media has the best location as its a little more centrally located to Philly and the suburban office parks. West Chester and Doylestown are my personal favorites but both are a challenge from a commute standpoint. Swarthmore is charming but has a rather small downtown. I will also add Ridley Park and Wayne which are very livable communities.

I wouldn't rule out a few neighborhoods in the city. Fabulous Chestnut Hill which is in NW Philly feels like a seperate suburb but is actually a neighborhood of Philadelphia. Center City although not without occassional crime is very stable and a very safe area. You could combine media,doylestown,West Chester,Swarthmore and they still wouldnt come close to offering the European lifestyle that Center City does. It really is a shame the surrounding hoods act as a big deterrent because CC is one of the best neighborhoods in the country.The hoods really tarnish the image of center city.

Old 01-02-2008, 08:38 AM

35 posts, read 154,036 times
I've heard good things about Wayne from some members of my family. Is that area anything like what I'm looking for? Also, Conshohocken? Can anyone tell me if those places fit that criteria? Thanks so much for all the replies

Old 01-02-2008, 09:10 AM

3,898 posts, read 8,047,481 times
Wayne is one of the "Mainline" towns. A continuos string of very small towns that stretch for 20 miles from Philadelphia all the way to Paoli/Malvern Pa. along Route 30. Wayne is on the western edge approx 10-15 miles from Philly. Great schools, smaller town-less amenities-less european style setup compared to Media,West Chester and Doylestown. It has a slightly more suburban feel about it in my opinion.

Bryn Mawr,Narberth,Ardmore,Haverford are mainline towns which are closer to Philly and probably more what you are looking for. Planned close knit communities with excellent public transportation where you can skip from one town to the other.

Conshohocken is an old mill town that is in the gentrifying stage. Its not bad but it still has some gritty areas. Of the other towns mentioned Conshohocken would be the most economically diverse.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:39 AM

1,406 posts, read 2,268,253 times
Both Wayne and Conshohocken (Conshy) are "kind of" what you are looking for. Wayne, which is a great area but pricey, does not really have a supermarket that you can walk to. Neither does Conshy, though there is a CVS in Conshy that sells some food items. There may be a small mom-and-pop market in Wayne, but I don't know. Be aware, though, that there are supermarkets within approximately 1 mile of both Wayne and Conshy. Near Conshy is Genuardi's and Super Fresh, near Wayne is ACME.

I agree with rainrock that Wayne is a little more suburban in feel. Conshy may be even more suburban than Wayne. There's more of a downtown in Wayne than Conshy.

By the way, for the record, all of these suburban communities mentioned have good or excellent school districts.

Old 01-02-2008, 06:18 PM

3,714 posts, read 5,176,873 times
Jenkintown - easy commute to CC Philly, walkable shopping, restaurants, movie theater (though it needs some sprucing up), and a small school district - they don't even have busing because everybody lives close enough to walk.

Old 01-02-2008, 08:30 PM

7,652 posts, read 11,023,252 times
I second Jenkintown as a viable option... although it might be a bit tough to walk to the supermarket depending on where you live in town. The downtown area still retains a lot of "quaintness". And the bus route and two train stations are definitely convenient. I'm sure that the other towns mentioned are great in their own way but I know Jenkintown from growing up in the general area.

Kudos to you for wanting to live in a walkable suburb!

Old 01-03-2008, 03:54 PM

3 posts, read 13,497 times
I would say Ambler is good. I would also suggest Horsham where I live, it was voted the 15th best town to live in, in the whole US by money Magazine and their is a train station right near it in Hatboro which is an awesome place. I used to Live in glenside which sounds best for what your looking for all around though. My top three- Glenside 2. Ambler 3. Hatboro-Horsham area which also has a great school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia