Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 02:54 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,678,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
Nothing wrong with it… but it stands out if everyone else is wearing black pants with comfy shoes (I think that combo is for commuters -- they might have heels in their bags).

A few years ago, in the summertime, I noticed a lot of women wearing pretty sun dresses and skirts to work, with heels. It was like it was finally "OK" to be feminine again in an office environment. Can't remember what they wore in winter. I know wear black pants and comfy shoes year round.
Yeah, women under 30. I'm WAY over 30 and I'm not wearing one. lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 03:18 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,448,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Me too. I haven't owned a dress in probably 30 years. Probably has to do with when dresses & skirts were mandatory.

Old 11-24-2014, 04:26 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,885,268 times
Quote:
Nothing. Heels are very common with women in Philly. It's the dresses I saw in the South that threw me. Dresses are just not as common with women here anymore.
Gotcha.

When my cousin came from LA to Philly back when we were in high school she stood out like a crayon box. (lol) She wore lot's of yellows, sky blues, turquoises, bright reds, and oranges. You could flat out TELL that she was not from Philly considering we all mostly wore dark blues, greys, browns, and black. lol
It's 80 degrees today and all the ladies are wearing shorts and flowery print skirts and dresses and even the guys are wearing brighter colors than what I'm gonna see all winter when I return to Philly next month. It's more of an East Coast culture thing. I know some people who STILL do not wear white after Labor Day. (lol)

Old 11-24-2014, 06:54 PM

7,248 posts, read 10,499,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenses & Lights. View Post
It's more of an East Coast culture thing. I know some people who STILL do not wear white after Labor Day. (lol)
Haha--I'd agree that colorful dress is definitely not a trait for Philly, or the East Coast more generally.

I think there may be a historic link with conservative, WASP-y European settlers (and I don't mean that in an offensive way--just a fact of the matter), but it has also become a classic look among the business crowd, as well.

Last edited by Duderino; 11-24-2014 at 07:04 PM..

Old 11-24-2014, 08:27 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,556,655 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Me too. I haven't owned a dress in probably 30 years. Probably has to do with when dresses & skirts were mandatory.
Too funny -- these were women working in a large corporate environment, aged 30ish to 50ish.

But I don't think I've worn a dress for at least 10 years myself, and that was to a wedding. Hate wearing pantyhose (and my legs need them), and I'll only wear flats, and that sometimes doesn't look right.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:20 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,448,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Haha--I'd agree that colorful dress is definitely not a trait for Philly, or the East Coast more generally.

I think there may be a historic link with conservative, WASP-y European settlers (and I don't mean that in an offensive way--just a fact of the matter), but it has also become a classic look among the business crowd, as well.
The Quaker City - think about it. Oddly enough, I knew a Quaker family who were quite colorful. The women always wore black, beige, brown, or navy tops & incredibly colorful skirts or pants.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:38 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,885,268 times
Quote:
Ohhhh....Okay. You're a woman.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:42 PM

16,265 posts, read 42,984,230 times
I prefer black as well. Didn't realize that was a Philly thing.

When I think of Philly, I think of people wearing either green eagles jerseys, or red phillies t-shirts. Perhaps that more of a suburban or rural eastern PA thing?

Old 11-25-2014, 06:09 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,556,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I prefer black as well. Didn't realize that was a Philly thing.

When I think of Philly, I think of people wearing either green eagles jerseys, or red phillies t-shirts. Perhaps that more of a suburban or rural eastern PA thing?
You forgot orange, white, and black Flyers' jerseys!

Old 11-25-2014, 12:01 PM

175 posts, read 286,584 times
Lols..this thread is so funny...this is why I cant wait to move to Philly from los angeles. my favorite colour is black...followed by grey...then navy....I stand out like a sore thumb here amidst the sea of blue pink and neon...
BUT, in summer I do like pretty patterned dresses
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia