Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2014, 05:02 PM

8 posts, read 14,160 times

Advertisements

I am looking for personal opinions of the Lansdowne area!
The place I am looking at is in the neighborhood between 69th Street, Garrett Road and south of Walnut Street.

I have been reading thread after thread, as well as crime reports and statistics. I understand that this is not the BEST part of Lansdowne/Upper Darby, but how bad is bad? Statistically it is much safer than part of West Philly (Overbrook etc), but what is the vibe?

If it matters, we are two 20-somethings; white female, black male. We will be moving for work. He has lived in West and North Philly before, so it is a familiar environment for him, but I never have.

Any and all info appreciated! Thank you Philadelphians!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2014, 06:37 PM

2 posts, read 2,407 times
havent seen any crime here in 8yrs.

Old 12-06-2014, 06:37 AM

3 posts, read 3,324 times
It's a relatively safe environment. I have lived in the area for a few years and my parents own a property around walnut street in Upper Darby. Never had any issues and honestly there was one incident with my neighbor however it was very personal because it was her ex-boyfriend. It is very safe compared to West and North Philly. I feel safe waking in the neighborhood. The cops do frequent the neighborhood a lot. It may look very shady in the area and as a female who's been in the area for less than 5 years I can tell you that I am comfortable being in the neighborhood. Although I am moving outside the county because of my husband job and starting a family, the cost of living is very reasonable for a young couple.And I will tell you from experience that they know who live in the area and who doesn't.

Old 12-06-2014, 08:57 AM

301 posts, read 921,638 times
the further west, the better....try getting west of Lansdowne Ave...

I live on Owen and Garrett and I love it here

Old 05-20-2015, 06:25 AM

761 posts, read 832,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annieeb View Post
I am looking for personal opinions of the Lansdowne area!
The place I am looking at is in the neighborhood between 69th Street, Garrett Road and south of Walnut Street.

I have been reading thread after thread, as well as crime reports and statistics. I understand that this is not the BEST part of Lansdowne/Upper Darby, but how bad is bad? Statistically it is much safer than part of West Philly (Overbrook etc), but what is the vibe?

If it matters, we are two 20-somethings; white female, black male. We will be moving for work. He has lived in West and North Philly before, so it is a familiar environment for him, but I never have.

Any and all info appreciated! Thank you Philadelphians!
Here is a website for you.
Not sure that it details crime statistics, but a good read anyway: Lansdowne Borough, Pennsylvania: Home

Old 05-20-2015, 06:32 AM

761 posts, read 832,314 times
Here is something on crime stats that also compares neighboring towns: http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...nsylvania.html

Looks like more robberies, break-ins, etc. than violent crime.

Borders on parts of Philly, Darby, Yeadon, etc.

Check the stats on Darby!
Stay out of Darby!

Old 05-20-2015, 12:33 PM

90 posts, read 130,273 times
It's safe, the biggest issue in Lansdowne is dropping property value and property taxes.

Old 05-27-2015, 11:01 AM

633 posts, read 640,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyTightWad View Post
It's safe, the biggest issue in Lansdowne is dropping property value and property taxes.
If either the Governor's or the PA House's proposal for property tax reduction and increased school funding is passed in June, I can see prices there going through the roof.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:21 PM

90 posts, read 130,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burger Fan View Post
If either the Governor's or the PA House's proposal for property tax reduction and increased school funding is passed in June, I can see prices there going through the roof.
Maybe, but I doubt it. Unfortunately the issue isn't completely about property tax. Lansdowne and Drexel Hill aren't hot any more.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:41 PM

633 posts, read 640,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyTightWad View Post
Maybe, but I doubt it. Unfortunately the issue isn't completely about property tax. Lansdowne and Drexel Hill aren't hot any more.
Lansdowne is undervalued, mostly because of absurdly high property taxes within the WPSD, and also because the school district is horrendous- easily among the state's worst. (edit: William Penn School District was ranked 488th out of 498 Pennsylvania school districts, in 2012, by the Pittsburgh Business Times. To get any worse you'd have to go to Chester Upland). Fix either of these two issues let alone both, and you'll see a rise in property values.

It has just about everything else going for it- close proximity to the city with reasonable commute times and robust public transportation options (the R3 media elwyn runs directly through it), and fairly low crime- noticeably lower than Darby, Yeadon, and Upper Darby which act as a "buffer" between lansdowne and some of the seedier parts of west Philadelphia. There's no shortage of parks and green space, and there are some VERY large, well kept homes on decent sized lots for much cheaper than you would expect.

I'd say Drexel Hill is in the same boat- sorta. High taxes plus upper darby school district not being great (though admittedly nowhere near as bad as WPSD) mean it's not a "hot" place to live anymore, though IIRC the homes in the Drexel Park section (which send their kids to the haverford SD) command a premium over the rest of DH.

Last edited by Burger Fan; 05-27-2015 at 02:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia