Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 01:56 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
So you're saying that not saving money, not going out, AND not paying bills is better than that?
It's no great thing to have a job where you are underpaid and miserable. It maybe better than no job but the person is still broke and depressed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2014, 02:24 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,558,992 times
I got to ask why the unemployment is so high in Philly compared to Harrisburg-Carlisle area 3.9%, Lancaster 3.6%, Pittsburgh 4.2%, Altoona 4%, etc

Old 12-21-2014, 10:24 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,697,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon2014 View Post
They were poverty level jobs. Minimum wage. You can infer that by looking at median household income. It keeps falling and falling.
Mmmmm. I don't believe this is true. I'm curious as to where you got your numbers from.

As of 2011, the median household income in Philadelphia was $34,207.
In 2011, Philadelphia's median household income was $34K: visualize across the city [Interactive Map] - Technical.ly Philly

In 2013, the median household income in Philadelphia rose to $37,192.
Philadelphia County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Old 12-21-2014, 05:47 PM

178 posts, read 258,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
In 2013, the median household income in Philadelphia rose to $37,192.
Philadelphia County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
No, it doesn't say that. It says "Median household income, 2009-2013", no idea what that range implies.

http://www.pewtrusts.org/~/media/leg...tisticspdf.pdf

Quote:
Between 2006 and 2011, national median income
Quote:
growth, at 4.2 percent, was sluggish, failing to keep up with inflation. The growth rate was lower in the city of Philadelphia, 2.9 percent; the seven nearby
suburban counties in Pennsylvania and New Jersey did slightly better than the national average.
I don't see any official numbers for 2013 specifically.

Old 12-21-2014, 06:15 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,819,013 times
Quote:
They were poverty level jobs. Minimum wage. You can infer that by looking at median household income. It keeps falling and falling.
Is it better to have job loss? Job creation is still a good thing even if it's low wage work, particularly in a place known for double digit unemployment. It's not like the psd is churning out rocket scientists. Places with lots of low wage workers are going to struggle on income those with lots of people with degrees will do better.

Old 12-21-2014, 06:55 PM

Quote:
No, it doesn't say that. It says "Median household income, 2009-2013", no idea what that range implies.

http://www.pewtrusts.org/~/media/leg...tisticspdf.pdf

I don't see any official numbers for 2013 specifically.
It says growth was sluggish... but it was still growth. You said the median household income was falling and falling, which implies declining? No?

I'm a little confused why you're so against Philadelphia gaining jobs. Even if it is low wage jobs, it is better to have job growth than job decline. No?

Philadelphia has a large population of people with no college education, it's better for them to have jobs than remain unemployed. Do you think otherwise?

And Philadelphia's college educated population is growing. And I believe high wage jobs are growing too. We've seen a growth in the eds and meds sector, technology, finance, bio, etc.

Are we really implying that ALL job growth is low wage jobs? Lol.

Old 12-21-2014, 08:44 PM
FBJ

Quote:
It says growth was sluggish... but it was still growth. You said the median household income was falling and falling, which implies declining? No?

I'm a little confused why you're so against Philadelphia gaining jobs. Even if it is low wage jobs, it is better to have job growth than job decline. No?

Philadelphia has a large population of people with no college education, it's better for them to have jobs than remain unemployed. Do you think otherwise?

And Philadelphia's college educated population is growing. And I believe high wage jobs are growing too. We've seen a growth in the eds and meds sector, technology, finance, bio, etc.

Are we really implying that ALL job growth is low wage jobs? Lol.

No because I have two friends who just started a job with Septa

Old 12-21-2014, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
No because I have two friends who just started a job with Septa
Is this meant to be sarcastic?

What about the growth of Comcast? CHOP? Penn Medicine? UPenn? Drexel? Temple? Thomas Jefferson? Financial firms? Law firms? Tech companies? Bio? Pharm?

Growing presence of companies at the Navy Yard?

Tech company moves to Philly from Michigan 75 new jobs
Governor Corbett: Commuter Services Company to Relocate Headquarters to Philadelphia, Creating 75 New Jobs | PA Department of Community & Economic Development (DCED)

Consulting firm from New Jersey bringing 222 new jobs
Hill International, Inc. Relocates Corporate Headquarters To Philadelphia, Pennsylvania - Area Development

Tech company brings 100 workers
Nutter welcomes Brand.com to new HQ in Center City Philadelphia

Axalta brings 100 jobs to Center City
Axalta Coatings Moving Its Corporate Headquarters to Philadelphia « CBS Philly

The Navy Yard added 22 new companies in 2013 alone
PIDC Reports the Highest Single Year’s Growth at The Navy Yard in 2013, Building Momentum for 2014 | The Navy Yard Blog

Philadelphia third in the US for construction jobs added
Philadelphia third in U.S. in new construction jobs

Comcast adding 1,500 new jobs
Comcast Seeks to Redefine Philadelphia and Itself | NBC 10 Philadelphia

Urban Outfitters adding 2,000 jobs
Philly-Based Urban Outfitters Expanding | NBC 10 Philadelphia

I'm sure there is more, just don't have time to keep looking lol. I know Philadelphia sucks when it comes to job growth for a multitude of reasons mainly because of anti business tax policies but it can't all be doom and gloom can it?

Old 12-21-2014, 09:33 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Is this meant to be sarcastic?

What about the growth of Comcast? CHOP? Penn Medicine? UPenn? Drexel? Temple? Thomas Jefferson? Financial firms? Law firms? Tech companies? Bio? Pharm?

Growing presence of companies at the Navy Yard?

Tech company moves to Philly from Michigan 75 new jobs
Governor Corbett: Commuter Services Company to Relocate Headquarters to Philadelphia, Creating 75 New Jobs | PA Department of Community & Economic Development (DCED)

Consulting firm from New Jersey bringing 222 new jobs
Hill International, Inc. Relocates Corporate Headquarters To Philadelphia, Pennsylvania - Area Development

Tech company brings 100 workers
Nutter welcomes Brand.com to new HQ in Center City Philadelphia

Axalta brings 100 jobs to Center City
Axalta Coatings Moving Its Corporate Headquarters to Philadelphia « CBS Philly

The Navy Yard added 22 new companies in 2013 alone
PIDC Reports the Highest Single Year’s Growth at The Navy Yard in 2013, Building Momentum for 2014 | The Navy Yard Blog

Philadelphia third in the US for construction jobs added
Philadelphia third in U.S. in new construction jobs

Comcast adding 1,500 new jobs
Comcast Seeks to Redefine Philadelphia and Itself | NBC 10 Philadelphia

Urban Outfitters adding 2,000 jobs
Philly-Based Urban Outfitters Expanding | NBC 10 Philadelphia

I'm sure there is more, just don't have time to keep looking lol. I know Philadelphia sucks when it comes to job growth for a multitude of reasons mainly because of anti business tax policies but it can't all be doom and gloom can it?
No I was just pointing out that there are people who started new jobs that were not low paying.

Old 12-26-2014, 12:20 AM

16 posts, read 18,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
The poverty rate in Manhattan (~20%) is 4x the unemployment rate there, too. Just saying, this is not a weird or unusual thing.
is having the highest deep poverty rate among the biggest US city not weird or unusual ?

Phila. rates highest among top 10 cities for deep poverty - Philly.com
Unrelenting Poverty Leads To 'Desperation' In Philly Schools : NPR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia