U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2014, 02:21 PM

1 posts, read 912 times

Advertisements

We're looking at options for our move back to the Philadelphia area this coming spring. Media is on our radar as well as a handful of other areas. I'm trying to get an idea of the commute time from Media to Bryn Mawr on 476. Google says approx 20 minutes, but that doesn't count for traffic and I know it can get bad sometimes. Any idea how long it would really take in rush hour?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 11:35 AM

123 posts, read 142,159 times
I don't do this commute but I am familiar with both areas and since noone else has answered. I can't see it taking longer than a half hour with traffic unless a major accident or something. 476 isn't usually too bad either.

Old 01-04-2015, 08:24 PM

6,027 posts, read 5,438,958 times
As a Delaware County native, the commute is hit or miss. In the morning going from Media to Bryn Mawr should be a breeze, afternoon may be a different story. Southbound 476 can get very bad in the afternoon for pretty much the entire length. But even with heavy traffic it should not take more than 45 minutes, definitely a doable commute.

Old 01-06-2015, 07:28 AM

34 posts, read 60,909 times
Could take 476 in the morning, and come back via 320 to Baltimore Pike, maybe? 320 probably has better scenery anyway, heh.

My wife and I have taken 320 from Villanova a couple times down to that general area, and it wasn't a bad drive at all. Granted, it was a Saturday early afternoon going into Springfield, or down to the Verlo Mattress Factory in Broomall. Don't know if 320 is bad during the weekdays. But yeah, definitely felt it took us less than 20 to get down to Baltimore Pike.

Lancaster during rush hour will probably be pretty busy too what with the colleges around Bryn Mawr, particularly around Villanova.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:39 AM

6,027 posts, read 5,438,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBot View Post
Could take 476 in the morning, and come back via 320 to Baltimore Pike, maybe? 320 probably has better scenery anyway, heh.

My wife and I have taken 320 from Villanova a couple times down to that general area, and it wasn't a bad drive at all. Granted, it was a Saturday early afternoon going into Springfield, or down to the Verlo Mattress Factory in Broomall. Don't know if 320 is bad during the weekdays. But yeah, definitely felt it took us less than 20 to get down to Baltimore Pike.

Lancaster during rush hour will probably be pretty busy too what with the colleges around Bryn Mawr, particularly around Villanova.
Aside from the scenery or if there is an accident on 476 that would be a disaster. Endless traffic lights and heavy congestion especially toward Broomall. I would not recommend it. A lot of times people think back roads are quicker, but I have tried almost every combo several times and taking the large roads are always quicker, unless there is an accident.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:11 PM

701 posts, read 1,382,257 times
You'll learn the back roads. My first job in PA was in Haverford, right next to Bryn Mawr, and I'd found a place to live in Media. The Blue Route travel was thoroughly unpleasant unless driving at off times, and even then it could still be back (there was a lot of construction at the time). But a combo of 252/1/320/Darby Rd. made the drive more bearable. Count on 30 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia