Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 09:24 PM

2 posts, read 5,165 times

Advertisements

I've recently came upon deciding to move between Philadelphia or Virginia Beach and would like to get some insight on this. I know that both those cities are drastically different, but I would like to know the pros and cons of Philly. Orginally from NYC, I want to get away from the craziness and live somewhere just a tad quieter without giving up my nightlife all together. My husband is a carpenter and eventually run his own renovation company, so if there are any suggestions as to certain areas that would be in good demand for this would be great also. Reading some of the threads here, I saw that some people call Philadelphia, "Philadirtphia" because of how dirty it is. Is there any areas that aren't as bad?? I've been to Philly several times, and I have seen some areas that are definitely NOT desireable, but I hope that there are suggestions on where it IS desirable?

Because of its geographical location, I know I would not have the option of beaches and better weather as I would if I decide to go with Virginia Beach, but because Philly seems to have a better nightlife then Virginia Beach, I'm willing to compromise. Oh, I should add, my purpose for wanting a nightlife is because I plan to open a Bar/Lounge. I know everyone would tell me to go and open it right in Olde Town or South Street, but I wondered if there are any other suggestive places that are just as good too. Maybe a small city away from THE city.

Another thing that stikes me odd is, I went to i believe its called University City, where UPenn and the other colleges are, and tried to go to some bars. I was told they were either closed for the season, or maybe it was because school wasn't in session that it was closed. I then also went to this other Lounge in NE Philly, that stated that they will also be closed for the season (the winter season i presume). Is this soemthing that normally happens??

Thanks ahead of time for answering some of my silly questions, and I hope to soon be a fellow Phildelphian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 07:00 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,870,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettymak;2439288I
i saw that some people call Philadelphia, "Philadirtphia" because of how dirty it is.
That's a new one. I've heard it called "Killadelphia" because of the 390 plus murders in 07.

Old 01-07-2008, 09:17 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,487,823 times
former NYC transplant as well. i thought it was called "Philthadelphia"? ah well. the the best spots are in and around center city & univ city.

i'm a big fan of old city. it retains that historic charm but has a pretty big bar scene. its all about Jersey weekend warriors every Thurs - Sun. can't complain with that!

i know very little about univ city. as people have stated here, neighborhoods to check out are:

Fishtown, N. Liberties, Queen Village, Bella Vista, Rittenhouse, Old City, Univ City, etc..

Old 01-07-2008, 08:20 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,179,214 times
University City has alot of potential. 5000 IRS employees are scheduled to begin moving into Univ City in 2 or 3 years.Penn has a Billion dollars worth of projects underway and developers are starting to change University City away from a strictly campus environment. UC will be an extension to center city in 3-5 years. IMO Old City/Center City is already overloaded with Bars/Lounges.

For towns outside of Philly. Media,West Chester,Exton is growing very fast and of course King of Prussia is a cash cow for retail and restaurants.

Good luck

Old 01-07-2008, 10:23 PM

32,612 posts, read 77,387,558 times
I'm optimistic that Mayor Nutter Butter (sorry! I just can't stop saying it!)will help to turn your city around as well in the coming years. If you are to rid the city of its high-crime image and reduce the wage tax, folks will start pouring in again like lemmings (but in a good way for a change!)

Old 01-09-2008, 07:06 AM

2 posts, read 6,557 times
I have lived in NYC and the Philadelphia area and my husband and I are about to buy a home in University City. Compared to NYC, I don't think Philadelphia is any dirtier. It is certainly a more manageable and walkable city and far less crowded. I agree with the other posters that the University City area would be a great place to open a bar/lounge as the area is still growing and going through a renaissance. It would also be an ideal location for your husband to do his renovation work -- may of the homes are turn of the century victorians that need a little TLC.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:23 AM

2 posts, read 5,165 times
thank you all for your input, i was just speaking with the liquor licensing bureau to find out they are no longer providing anymore new liquor licenses in the city of Philadelphia and chances are in the surrounding areas as well... this would really set me back.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:24 AM

32,612 posts, read 77,387,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettymak View Post
thank you all for your input, i was just speaking with the liquor licensing bureau to find out they are no longer providing anymore new liquor licenses in the city of Philadelphia and chances are in the surrounding areas as well... this would really set me back.
You could always open an "oxygen" bar.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:57 AM

7,263 posts, read 10,531,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettymak View Post
Hmm. I guess that's an indication of all of the clamor going on in the bar/restaurant scene right now there. We don't want a city full of drunkards! Heh, kidding.

Seriously, try looking into suburban areas such as West Chester, Exton, King of Prussia if you're not dead set on the city. Phoenixville is also an option as an old steel/iron mill suburb that is also going through a significant revitalization downtown:

Main Street Phoenixville (http://www.mainstreetphoenixville.org/index.php - broken link)

Don't give up just yet -- Philly has great network of inner-suburbs that would suit a new bar/lounge business perfectly, especially with the growth of the trendy young professional crowd.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:44 AM

274 posts, read 1,397,799 times
Look into Media too. Lots of bar/restaurants there...and not too far from the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia