Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2015, 12:57 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,895,592 times

Advertisements

In my opinion this promo from channel 29 is another example of an outdated Philadelphia mindset that was not needed to create this spot. There's two version of the commercial in which the New Yorkers interviewed are asked lighthearted and silly questions, as if they're supposed to really know the answers. One even claims she doesn't even know where Philadelphia is.

Anyway, it came off like something a a group of college tv communications students would attempt. If there was a need to venture off to another town then there should've been more thought put into the pre-planning and structure of script creation. Instead, it just came off as a cheesy attempt at poking fun at another place, and all the while coming off as an afterthought of a place to visit or live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZT3Z1E1ZHI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 01:32 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,506,521 times
Agreed I hate that commercial. Those anchors should be embarrassed for even partaking in it. They are obviously taking a shot at 6ABC or NBC 10 because of their national morning shows but still... why?? This commercial is cringe worthy.

Old 01-22-2015, 01:40 PM

23 posts, read 37,872 times
just a silly promo... no biggie

Old 01-22-2015, 01:58 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,987,907 times
I don't see what the big deal is.

Old 01-22-2015, 03:23 PM

385 posts, read 400,293 times
I hate that commercial. I'm just LOST as to why it was done in New York in the middle of Times Sq.

Old 01-22-2015, 06:59 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,895,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I don't see what the big deal is.
It's not a major issue, but think about where the city has rebounded from over the past 17 years and all the positive changes we post on these pages weekly. Why on earth go an ad hoc campaign "Ala" 1986's "Philadelphia, Get to know us." routine. Even though there's still plenty of room for improvements in town, there has been plenty of voids filled and more that are filling as we type.

Philadelphia IS a great town and after 18 years on the west coast and returning here 4 weeks ago today, I can safely say that my decision to relocate was the proper choice. After living in and working in various other cities I like Philly the best, and I'm knowing it's better in many ways than quite a few of it's peers. Also the residents of some of these other towns are as arrogant as all get out, and at times I'm like "Really? Have you been to Philly in the last 20 years?" Many haven't or have never been, and their city's public trans sucks, having to drive nearly everywhere, restaurants are highly overrated, fashion sense is wack, etc.

People hear need to know that they are in a very good place that's improving each year. The media, especially one connected to a national network, needs to recognize this and lead the way in this. Wasn't it the NY Times that recently stated that Philadelphia was the # 3 place on their list that people should visit? Or how about Conde Nast Traveler naming the city as the # shopping spot in the world?

Like I previously stated, it seemed like a project by college students. When that piece was presented to the Executive Producers, there should've been ( a knowledgeable ) producer to read the script and ask "So what about the positives of our city?" Or " "Why do we need go shoot this up in New York, for what purpose and point are we trying to make?" "Go back and come up with something better than that."

I'm sure they could've incorporated the New York line into a more thought out script.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:24 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,987,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy215267 View Post
I hate that commercial. I'm just LOST as to why it was done in New York in the middle of Times Sq.
Philly news anchors taking shots at New York, what's there not to like about it?

Old 01-23-2015, 07:20 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,744,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Agreed I hate that commercial. Those anchors should be embarrassed for even partaking in it. They are obviously taking a shot at 6ABC or NBC 10 because of their national morning shows but still... why?? This commercial is cringe worthy.
It's Fox. Are you expecting anything other than cringe worthy crap?

Old 01-23-2015, 08:21 AM

301 posts, read 921,556 times
I thought that was a snipe against sheinelle jones since she joined the Today show

Old 01-23-2015, 08:39 AM

385 posts, read 400,293 times
Sheinelle went to the Today Show ?....I had no idea.. I knew she left FOX29..that was it. Well 6ABC, AND NBC10 have nothing to worry about since they are winning in ratings. I cant stand 29..i only watch for Judge Judy @4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia