U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2015, 06:41 AM

3,050 posts, read 2,956,751 times

Advertisements

Sadly, I must leave Philly at the end of either Feb or March due to family and financial reasons. It's breaking my heart but I have no choice.

Before I go, I want to put together a bucket list of things I should do before leaving. Things that are a must-see/must-do for people who live here.

No touristy stuff please. I did all that before I move here. Just stuff that I might have missed when I was living here.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 07:06 AM

5,726 posts, read 10,791,947 times
It's nicer in the spring, but a walk through Laurel Hill Cemetery is cool. If you are a history buff, check out some of the off-the-beaten path sites in Germantown/Mt. Airy.

Old 01-25-2015, 04:56 PM

22,630 posts, read 13,601,001 times
Ummm ... non-touristy stuff?

Okay, let's see ...

-- take a stroll along the Locust Walk on the campus of the University of Pennsylvania. Check out some of the architecture, sculptures, have your picture taken with the bronze Ben Franklin sitting on a park bench, and have something to eat at a student hang-out nearby.

-- have a Mojito at Mixto Restaurant on Pine Street near 12th; go during happy hour and sample some of the "small plate appetizers as well.

-- see the Thursday night Drag Show at Bob & Barbara's on South Street.

-- go shopping for some fine Italian cheeses and cured meats at DiBruno Brothers near Rittenhouse Square.

-- catch a performance at the Kimmel Center.

-- have a cocktail at the bar on the 33rd floor of the PSFS Building (Loew's Hotel).

-- take a stroll up and down Germantown Avenue in Chestnut Hill aqnd check out the shops.

Old 01-25-2015, 05:21 PM

2,431 posts, read 5,145,455 times
Take a walk on Forbidden Drive in Fairmount Park, near Valley Green Inn -- great in any season! Should be awesome with all of the snow we're expecting.

Touristy, but on my bucket list is a tour of City Hall, going up to the top of it to look out over the city.

Old 01-25-2015, 10:26 PM

252 posts, read 195,234 times
I don't really have anything to add, but I'm sorry you're heart broken about leaving. Where to next?

Old 01-26-2015, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionlyused59 View Post
I don't really have anything to add, but I'm sorry you're heart broken about leaving. Where to next?
Thank you, and thank you to everyone for their suggestions. Back to the Scranton area where my family lives, unfortunately. There are no jobs there, and it's not where I want to be at all. I hate to knock that area because I have plenty of friends and family who are happy there, but it's not my cup of tea and it's going to be a tough pill to swallow to return there.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:57 AM

1,115 posts, read 1,245,307 times
The lobby of the Curtis Building (Dream Garden — Visit Philadelphia — visitphilly.com) is spectacular (you have to be there during regular business hours).

Walk up the hill from Main St. in Manayunk - zig-zag through the streets and up the stairwells until you get to a setting where you can get a good view of the city. (Amazingly, VisitPhilly.com doesn't have any links to 'hoods in the Northwest - Philadelphia Neighborhoods — visitphilly.com).

You've already received good advice in the other replies, and I'm sure you'll be getting more (I'd second the suggestion for walking through Germantown/Mt Airy along G'town avenue).

And if you can't cross everything off the list, remember that Philly's a not-hard day trip from Scranton!

Old 01-26-2015, 12:14 PM

23,767 posts, read 30,761,123 times
Centennial Hall is the administration building for the Fairmount Park administration. It's one of the few buildings left from the 1876 Centennial. Its a beautiful building.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankInPhilly View Post
The lobby of the Curtis Building (Dream Garden — Visit Philadelphia — visitphilly.com) is spectacular (you have to be there during regular business hours).

Walk up the hill from Main St. in Manayunk - zig-zag through the streets and up the stairwells until you get to a setting where you can get a good view of the city. (Amazingly, VisitPhilly.com doesn't have any links to 'hoods in the Northwest - Philadelphia Neighborhoods — visitphilly.com).

You've already received good advice in the other replies, and I'm sure you'll be getting more (I'd second the suggestion for walking through Germantown/Mt Airy along G'town avenue).

And if you can't cross everything off the list, remember that Philly's a not-hard day trip from Scranton!
I know, and I have been coming to Philly since I was a toddler, but there are just some things you have to experience as a resident

Old 01-26-2015, 04:29 PM

677 posts, read 594,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonCountyLiving View Post
Sadly, I must leave Philly at the end of either Feb or March due to family and financial reasons. It's breaking my heart but I have no choice.

Before I go, I want to put together a bucket list of things I should do before leaving. Things that are a must-see/must-do for people who live here.

No touristy stuff please. I did all that before I move here. Just stuff that I might have missed when I was living here.
I'm not sure how much of the city you've seen or experienced, so here goes:

Take a walk across the Ben Franklin Bridge -
Take a walk on the Race Street Pier -
Explore the River Ward neighborhoods (Fishtown, Port Richmond, Bridesburg) -
Have a beer and a burger at the Green Rock Tavern on a Friday night -
Have a beer and a roast beef sandwich at Nick's Roast Beef on Cottman Ave on a Saturday night -
Check out the Delaware River from Linden Ave -
Step back to 1949 and have a cheesesteak and a black and white shake at Joe's Steaks (formerly C h i n k 's) on Torresdale Ave -
Visit Netcost, an awesome Eastern European supermarket in NE Philly -
Take a ride under the El from Front and Girard to Bridge and Pratt -
Visit the Mutter Museum -
Stock up on $5 "Philly" t-shirts from Old City Tee's -
Go to the Blasius Candy Factory in Kensington and bring home some buttercreams for the family -
Take a walk through Pennypack Park -
Go to David's in Chinatown for salt and pepper chicken wings/shrimp/pork chops, then get a foot massage. Explore the underground market -
Have a Polish meal in Port Richmond. I suggest Syrenka's or the New Wave Cafe -
Eat a pizza at Tacconelli's -
Visit Johnny's Hots for a hot combo with fried onions and mustard, aka "Fishtown Surf and Turf" -
Enjoy an indy film at one of the three Ritz theaters -
Explore NE Philly by way of Torresdale, Frankford, Bustleton and Castor Aves and State Road -
Check out the tranny freak hookers in the gayborhood after 2 a.m. on a weekend -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia