Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 08:35 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,155,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
The mummers are racist. The examples are too many to note.
Haha - classic. I just lost all interest in your argument.

Since you're the one making this bold claim that everyone else is puzzled over and asking for clarification over, isn't the onus on YOU to explain? Even one or two examples?

Like I said, I no longer care, so do what you want. The impression I've gotten is that the Mummers are changing, and are way more inclusive. I know a man who was involved in a very racially-mixed group that put on a satirical number about Comcast. The irony is that they believe a part of it (where Comcast is represented by an ogre of some sort) was blacked out in the broadcast.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:46 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,279,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Nope. Show was called Cold Case. ION TV still shows it or at least they did.
You may be talking about a show called Cold Case, but I am talking about a different show altogether. The point of my post was that they referred to East Philadelphia and 14th Street.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:53 AM

221 posts, read 400,202 times
Quote:
The mummers are racist.
That's a pretty big generalization from someone who calls people out constantly on here for the most minute perceived inaccuracies of their posts.

Old 01-30-2015, 10:10 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,756,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallouise View Post
Haha - classic. I just lost all interest in your argument.

Since you're the one making this bold claim that everyone else is puzzled over and asking for clarification over, isn't the onus on YOU to explain? Even one or two examples?

Like I said, I no longer care, so do what you want. The impression I've gotten is that the Mummers are changing, and are way more inclusive. I know a man who was involved in a very racially-mixed group that put on a satirical number about Comcast. The irony is that they believe a part of it (where Comcast is represented by an ogre of some sort) was blacked out in the broadcast.
I don't know what happened this year because I didn't hang around long enough to find out, but recently, one fancy club had transgendered people.

Also this year one of the comic groups had an all black music group with them.

Old 01-30-2015, 10:21 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
Quote:

- The mummers are dumb - The list mentions not "getting" the mummers. I "get" them alright. An excuse for old white people to get drunk and be racist. I'm not on board. Sorry fellow Philadelphians.
Have you been to 2 Street? The Mummers bring in nearly all black musicians to play for about a $15,000 bonus (I guess so the Mummers can get even drunker) for the after-party. It's a great time and everyone's enjoying themselves. It's true that many blue collar white Philadelphians have racist tendancies but I truly believe that it is changing over time and it's not fair to say the Mummers Parade is steeped in racism or whatever. It's simply not true. It really is a unique thing and could be more IMO especially if it becomes more diverse. It's Philly's Mardi Gras.

There certainly have been issues, but I think it is more a problem with individual people and possibly some groups as a whole, but not the entire tradition.

Yes, it seems to be a mostly white thing, but I brought my AA friend this year to 2 Street and although he was sometimes the only black guy around we were invited into people's homes, drank, ate and had a great time like every other year. I love bringing people not from Philly to 2 Street-if you can't have fun there, you simply HATE fun.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 01-30-2015 at 10:34 AM..

Old 01-30-2015, 10:55 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times
Since the original link was removed and this topic has moved on to "What's racist?". I've closed the thread.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia