Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 09:14 AM

2,429 posts, read 4,022,104 times

Advertisements

I'm from Philly and sorry but I have to say I think this is the dumbest conversation.
The "Philly accent" that people constantly throw out as a stereotype, is nothing like an Australian accent, period.

And I don't think there's a "Philly"accent. Any accent might be because of, dare I say, a person neighborhood or original ethic group. Just like any other place a person might be from. My south Philly friends may not sound like someone from Mt Airy or the Northeast. So, to me, talking about a "Phiily" accent at all is just general ignorance (not as is stupid as in unaware) of the entire issue.

Every once in a while over the years someone would say to me, "you don't sound like you're from Philly.' I knew right away the person was just going off of what they THOUGHT a Philly accent was. And had no real idea of what they were talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 09:26 AM

286 posts, read 150,161 times
I grew up in Philly with family still living there. Philly accent sure is unique but I don't think it sounds Australian at all. Doesn't sound like a NY accent either, it's its own unique accent.

I've been away from Philly so long that when I go back it sounds so weird to hear may family say things like wooder for water and youse. And I'm an Italian so it's still quite often at family gatherings that the old discussion will break out whether the correct word is 'sauce or 'gravy', lol.

When I hear different commercials I can always pick out right away if someone is from Philly/Delaware/Jersey etc.

My husband is a New Yorker and when I frst met his family many moons ago they all liked to comment on my Philly accent, I would say what accent I don't have an accent, lol.

We've lived all over the country and I think the only place we've lived that didn't have such unique accent was California.

Old 02-22-2015, 09:39 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,596,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
I lived in Oz for two years and non-australians who heard my daughter talk over there would say "oh, she's picking up a bit of the Aussie accent, eh?" To which I would usually say, "nope. that's philly all the way."

There are a lot of phonemes in the Philly accent that sound Australian to non-australians. When I was in north London (about 8 years ago) these guys at a pub were chatting up a lady friend of mine (with a thick South Jersey accent from Camden Co.) and 2 of them asked her if she was Australian. After hearing her say "no" twice the 3rd guys guess was Irish.

People pick up the strongest phonetic differences right away and will quickly associate it with another accent that they're familiar with that has similar phonemes. It's why you get actors playing a Philly native always wind up sounding like New Yorkers. It's easy to identify similarities and play up on those, especially if the accent is different from your own, but much harder to pin down the differences and idiosyncrasies.
Very interesting about your daughter and your friend!

The title of this thread immediately made me think of a time when a few friends of my wife were visiting from the Boston area, and we had gone out to a restaurant in Philly. We had a waitress with a typical Philly accent. After the meal, one of her friends noted that the waitress had a very unique way of pronouncing words, and it "sounded Australian!"

I think it really is a matter of how each person processes these things based on what they're familiar with.

Old 02-22-2015, 09:44 AM

286 posts, read 150,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
I'm from Philly and sorry but I have to say I think this is the dumbest conversation.
The "Philly accent" that people constantly throw out as a stereotype, is nothing like an Australian accent, period.

And I don't think there's a "Philly"accent. Any accent might be because of, dare I say, a person neighborhood or original ethic group. Just like any other place a person might be from. My south Philly friends may not sound like someone from Mt Airy or the Northeast. So, to me, talking about a "Phiily" accent at all is just general ignorance (not as is stupid as in unaware) of the entire issue.

Every once in a while over the years someone would say to me, "you don't sound like you're from Philly.' I knew right away the person was just going off of what they THOUGHT a Philly accent was. And had no real idea of what they were talking about.
No one in Philly thinks they have an accent. But be away from Philly for any length of time and the accent is clear.

Old 02-22-2015, 09:45 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,596,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prolific View Post
No one in Philly thinks they have an accent. But be away from Philly for any length of time and the accent is clear.
Absolutely. The University of Pennsylvania has actually done extensive research on the accent:

Penn: The Philly Accent is Steadily Changing

Old 02-22-2015, 10:03 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,934,015 times
Relevant to the thread, an Australian actress attempting a Philly accent:

I was trying to find a better scene though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qqVQcZxpqA

Old 02-22-2015, 10:05 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,156,102 times
I would think, if there are certain similarities, it's because the East coast accents (Baltimore through NJ) have British cockney as their ancestor, as does the Australian accent. These different accents have morphed over the centuries, but have their basis in "non-posh" British accents.

Old 02-22-2015, 11:22 AM

2,429 posts, read 4,022,104 times
Quote:
I don't think I said or even implied that there weren't accents in Philly, or accents that a person might not associate with Philly. My point is that there's no ONE Philly accent., which is clear...if someone from South Philly doesn't sound like someone from the northeast, or West Oak Lane.

Old 02-22-2015, 05:11 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,004,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prolific View Post
The same goes everywhere else. But even if you know you have an accent (and most educated people do these days), certain linguistic differences can still come as a shock. When I went to school in Pittsburgh, my upstate NY roommates marveled over how I said Dorothy (Dahrathy, as opposed to Dorthy). I had no idea most Americans pronounced it differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
I don't think I said or even implied that there weren't accents in Philly, or accents that a person might not associate with Philly. My point is that there's no ONE Philly accent., which is clear...if someone from South Philly doesn't sound like someone from the northeast, or West Oak Lane.
There are definitely some sub-accents, but most aren't readily visible to outsiders. Those accents also seem to be dying off in general. Once you correct for socioeconomic class (and in some cases ethnicity), the accent is pretty similar across the region.

Last edited by ElijahAstin; 02-22-2015 at 05:22 PM..

Old 02-22-2015, 08:55 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,403,838 times
Yes, the generic Philly accent is very identifiable across the entire area, out towards Harrisburg, up towards the Lehigh Valley, down to Baltimore. I am now in Florida and can spot it right away -- for example, the sheriff of Pasco County who's always on the news -- I knew he was a Philly guy as soon as I heard him say "HALSE" for "house". Met a lady at our pool, heard the accent right away -- she's from Sellersville. I love hearing the familiar accent of home. Or should I say, he-ome.

The Australian actress who played Bradley Cooper's mother in "Silver Linings Playbook" tried to pull it off but there were definitely some things she got wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia