U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 12:45 PM

11 posts, read 72,042 times

Advertisements

I interviewed for a job yesterday in Willow Grove and will be very tempted to accept if an offer is made. It would be an excellent career move.

What is holding me back is the housing market. I was able to purchase a home a few years ago thanks to wonderful incentives being offered to first time home buyers and a nice FHA loan. The idea of going back to renting is very very hard to swallow.

I currently live in a blue collar neighborhood in Baltimore. I am a single woman, and while others may think my neighborhood is "sketchy" by appearances, I have never felt unsafe (partly thanks to two very large very mean sounding dogs).

I have been looking at housing options. I'm not sure I will be able to buy again immediately, but have seem some possibilities on craigs list in the roxborough/manayunk area. I'm just looking for feedback on these neighborhoods.

I did a lot of renovation in my current house, including completely gutting and redoing the kitchen. I did most the work myself and i'm comfortable around both plumbing and electricity. I'm willing to consider a house that needs cosmetic improvements, as long as it has good bones! I'm not so good at construction do to an irrational fear of power saws!

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 12:52 PM

3,160 posts, read 8,219,556 times
Good safe neighborhoods. Manayunk has a nice Main St. If you can do a "sketchy" Baltimore neighborhood, you should have no trouble in Manayunk or Roxborough. They're as un-sketchy as it gets.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:55 PM

Default followup then..

are there any uh, "sketchy" neighborhoods i should be considering to get a better deal on a house?

i've grown to love my ghettoburbia neighbhood! though i do love the idea of living somewhere where i could walk to a store. not that i wouldnt' feel safe walking where i am now, but there's nothing to walk too!

are there any neighborhoods that are known to be extra dog friendly?

i'm currently researching fishtown and i'm intrigued....

Old 01-10-2008, 02:03 PM

299 posts, read 792,111 times
Fishtown to Willow Grove is a potentially LOOONg commute.

but i have friends who live in fishtown. they love it. Fishtown and Northern Liberties has changed drastically since i went to high school in the area in the late 80's/early 90's. it's still a shock to me to see caucasian young female model types walking their dogs at midnight...alone... I think, "wow, things really have changed around here!!!"

if you really want a sketchy neighborhood that's in the middle of being gentrified, try Brewerytown.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:07 PM

YEs, i just looked at google maps and was shocked that it is estimating 40 minutes for the 14 mile drive!

so, i'm back at looking a bit more north and a bit more west i think!

Old 01-10-2008, 05:07 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,798,715 times
If you live in Roxborough of Manayunk you will have to pay the Philadelphia city wage tax even though you won't be working in the city. Why not look in Willow Grove itself or some of the surrounding areas.

Old 01-10-2008, 05:28 PM

Default i'm now basically looking anywere between manayunk and...

willow grove.

the closer you get to willow grove the more spendy the houses get. i can probably afford 200K max.

Old 02-12-2015, 05:46 AM

3 posts, read 6,485 times
Germantown. Nice. Fixer uppers.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:34 AM

1,076 posts, read 1,090,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annodomina View Post
Germantown. Nice. Fixer uppers.
Another "yes" for Germantown. Add East Mt Airy to your list - like Germantown, closer to Willow Grove than M'unk or Roxborough. And it has a good variety of housing stock (lots of "good bones"). You should be able to find something (maybe not even a fixer upper) at the top of your price range.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:40 AM

68 posts, read 71,230 times
Maybe consider Point Breeze.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or