U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-22-2015, 01:02 PM
 
Location: New York City
8,731 posts, read 8,009,093 times
Reputation: 5553

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodachrome919 View Post
@10xleverage

As far as nightlife is concerned, is there any significant difference between getting to the young bar areas from either Rittenhouse Square or Old City? I really like the housing/architecture style in Old City, but I also wouldn't want to trade that for having less access to areas where similar people to myself would be hanging out/going out. In other words, is it a hassle to get from Old City to the Rittenhouse Square area? Is it walkable? Thanks!
Anyone who lives in Philly can answer this. No... not by any means
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-22-2015, 07:09 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
12 posts, read 13,895 times
Reputation: 49
I'm not a fan of the Old City to Rittenhouse walk. Can be anywhere from 20-30+ minutes depending on where you're going to /from. For example, Google Maps puts it at about 28 minutes to walk from 2nd/chestnut to Howl at the Moon (15th between Spruce/Locust): https://www.google.com/maps/dir/250+...d39.947777!3e2

It is a very quick/cheap cab or uberX though, especially if you're splitting it with one or more friends. You can also take the subway (the "el" or "MFL"), which stops at both 2nd st and 5th st in Old City and get off at City Hall but I prefer cabs/uber.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2015, 07:12 PM
 
Location: East Aurora, NY
727 posts, read 681,794 times
Reputation: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodachrome919 View Post
@10xleverage

As far as nightlife is concerned, is there any significant difference between getting to the young bar areas from either Rittenhouse Square or Old City? I really like the housing/architecture style in Old City, but I also wouldn't want to trade that for having less access to areas where similar people to myself would be hanging out/going out. In other words, is it a hassle to get from Old City to the Rittenhouse Square area? Is it walkable? Thanks!
There are many younger people out in old city as well. Yes it is easy to get between old city and Rittenhouse ; you can walk, take a short ride on the subway or bus, or take a cheap cab ride. From old city it will also be easy to get to northern liberties which is another popular area for nightlife.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2015, 08:49 PM
 
279 posts, read 165,196 times
Reputation: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Anyone who lives in Philly can answer this. No... not by any means
Huh? You must not be young because it's certainly walkable, probably about 30 minutes or so. You can get a quick uber x or cab too as other posters said. I wouldn't be too concerned about living in a particular neighborhood in Center City, because everything is so close together. Rittenhouse skews a little older/more "high class" whereas Old City is more early 20's, get very drunk type of place. Either is great to live in.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2015, 08:54 PM
 
Location: Capitol Hill - Washington, DC
3,168 posts, read 5,276,894 times
Reputation: 3420
Quote:
Originally Posted by mphilly View Post
Huh? You must not be young because it's certainly walkable, probably about 30 minutes or so. You can get a quick uber x or cab too as other posters said. I wouldn't be too concerned about living in a particular neighborhood in Center City, because everything is so close together. Rittenhouse skews a little older/more "high class" whereas Old City is more early 20's, get very drunk type of place. Either is great to live in.
Derp. OP asked it it was a hassle, cpomp said no.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2015, 01:05 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia (East Falls)
71 posts, read 111,537 times
Reputation: 69
I would compare Manayunk to Adams Morgan in DC. Its certainly young and 'fun' but it can also be rowdy and a little immature (no judgement...just observation). I lived in DC in 2006/07 in both Adams Morgan and DuPont. I liked both areas but preferred living in DuPont and venturing to Adams Morgan if/when I wanted to...which was not every night. Not sure what your budget is but given you're in consulting I suspect you could afford to try out Rittenhouse, which would be my top pick. It is a bit trendier and will give you many more options for bars, restaurants, shops, etc. than in Manayunk. You will also be closer to other fun neighborhoods in and around CC.

Can you ask to be connected to some younger associates at your new job? Perhaps if they all live in one area or another it would help you pick. If its at all an option you should visit. You could come up for a day from DC and walk around both areas. Since I lived in both cities I am happy to answer questions!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2015, 03:46 PM
 
60 posts, read 66,979 times
Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKE8244 View Post
I would compare Manayunk to Adams Morgan in DC. Its certainly young and 'fun' but it can also be rowdy and a little immature (no judgement...just observation). I lived in DC in 2006/07 in both Adams Morgan and DuPont. I liked both areas but preferred living in DuPont and venturing to Adams Morgan if/when I wanted to...which was not every night. Not sure what your budget is but given you're in consulting I suspect you could afford to try out Rittenhouse, which would be my top pick. It is a bit trendier and will give you many more options for bars, restaurants, shops, etc. than in Manayunk. You will also be closer to other fun neighborhoods in and around CC.

Can you ask to be connected to some younger associates at your new job? Perhaps if they all live in one area or another it would help you pick. If its at all an option you should visit. You could come up for a day from DC and walk around both areas. Since I lived in both cities I am happy to answer questions!
Thanks for the info! I really love the whole Dupont area in DC at night/weekends. For me, the proximity of all the bars and the definitely younger skewing crowd are perfect. What areas in Philly would you say are most comparable to the Dupont Area in DC, as this is ultimately what I'm looking for. Unfortunately I've never been to Adam's Morgan so I can't really make the comparison. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2015, 05:25 PM
 
Location: University City, Philadelphia
22,634 posts, read 14,272,171 times
Reputation: 15882
University City.

Manayunk has good restaurants, pubs, bars and shops ... University City's are better (Jose Garces' Distrito, Marigold Kitchen, Penne, Shake Shack, Bobby Flay's Bobby's Burger Palace, Harvest Grill, White Dog Cafe, Doc Magrogan's, Baby Blues Barbecue, Zavino, Chili Szechuan, Dock Street Brewery, etc.) ... however Manayunk's Chabaa Thai restaurant is even better than UC's Pattaya Grill or Thai Singha House.

Manayunk has a lot of 19th Century charm, but University City - a registered historic district - has examples of every type of Victorian architecture from 1850 thru 1900. In 1890 Manayunk was an industrial blue collar working class neighborhood of mostly rowhouses but what is now University City was an affluent fashionable residential district with mansions by such architects as Samuel Sloan, Frank Furness, the Hewitt brothers, and Horace Trumbauer.

Parking is easier in University City.

More parks and tree lined streets in University City.

Easier to get into Center City from University City (you can walk to Rittenhouse Square depending on where in UC you live).

Better supermarkets in University City.

More cultural amenities in University City ... the Irvine Auditorium, the Annenberg Center, the Rotunda, foreign films at International House, the Institute of Contemporary Art, the Penn Museum, Calvary Center, Curio Theater Company, Shakespeare in Clark Park, "A Space" - the Anarchist Center , etc.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2015, 08:39 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
233 posts, read 308,735 times
Reputation: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
University City.

Manayunk has good restaurants, pubs, bars and shops ... University City's are better (Jose Garces' Distrito, Marigold Kitchen, Penne, Shake Shack, Bobby Flay's Bobby's Burger Palace, Harvest Grill, White Dog Cafe, Doc Magrogan's, Baby Blues Barbecue, Zavino, Chili Szechuan, Dock Street Brewery, etc.) ... however Manayunk's Chabaa Thai restaurant is even better than UC's Pattaya Grill or Thai Singha House.

Manayunk has a lot of 19th Century charm, but University City - a registered historic district - has examples of every type of Victorian architecture from 1850 thru 1900. In 1890 Manayunk was an industrial blue collar working class neighborhood of mostly rowhouses but what is now University City was an affluent fashionable residential district with mansions by such architects as Samuel Sloan, Frank Furness, the Hewitt brothers, and Horace Trumbauer.

Parking is easier in University City.

More parks and tree lined streets in University City.

Easier to get into Center City from University City (you can walk to Rittenhouse Square depending on where in UC you live).

Better supermarkets in University City.

More cultural amenities in University City ... the Irvine Auditorium, the Annenberg Center, the Rotunda, foreign films at International House, the Institute of Contemporary Art, the Penn Museum, Calvary Center, Curio Theater Company, Shakespeare in Clark Park, "A Space" - the Anarchist Center , etc.
I like West Philly more than Manayunk, but in my experience the young people who choose to live in West Philly (especially those who aren't current students) tend to be a very lefty/progressive/hippie-ish type. If OP describes himself as preppy it might not be quite his scene.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:35 PM.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top