Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 04:11 PM

11 posts, read 12,524 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I'm planning to make the jump from New York with my wife to Philly next year and we're planning to settle down shortly thereafter. Costs in New York are just too high and right now Philadelphia has a lot to offer in the way of financial flexibility.

A lot has been made public about how bad the school system is in parts of the city, but could anyone clue me in to whether this is truth or media exaggeration. Are the schools dangerous or do they suffer from other problems like being overcrowded or poor teachers?

From what I've learned so far, it would seem that neighborhoods we have taken a liking to fall into the Bache-Martin, Moffet John, and Greenfield catchment.

We've heard great things about the Penn-Alexander catchment, but the homes, while affordable, are just too large for a young couple. I don't really need 7 bedrooms.

Any information would help.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2015, 06:53 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
If you are planning on having children and schools are a top priority then you should move to the suburbs.

Old 07-17-2015, 07:00 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,923,904 times
If you want your kids to attend public school, find a place in the suburb and pay the higher taxes. You can move into the city and send them to private school. Even though the taxes in the city are rising and continue to rises. The problem is not enough of the increases are getting into the public school.

Old 07-17-2015, 07:21 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
If you are planning on having children and schools are a top priority then you should move to the suburbs.
And then there's more: you have to pick the right suburb.

Old 07-17-2015, 07:22 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
That's the easy route but by no means the only route.

Penn Alexander has name recognition and is a good school. Typically the way parents play the philly school system is to find a decent elementary and get their kids into a magnet. A secondary approach is private or charter until you get into a magnet. Having met kids who grew up that way they ended up just as well off as their suburban counterparts. Bache martin is a good pick if you want to live in a walkable neighborhood school. Be careful with the catchment which is west francisville, fairmount, and parts of spring garden. The schools in the neighboring catchment are much worse.

Old 07-17-2015, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
If you want your kids to attend public school, find a place in the suburb and pay the higher taxes. You can move into the city and send them to private school. Even though the taxes in the city are rising and continue to rises. The problem is not enough of the increases are getting into the public school.
Are you remembering the city 10 year tax abatement on new construction and improvements on existing housing?

Yes, there was a re-assessment of residences a couple of years ago which increased some real estate taxes for some and lowered them for others and there may be a tax increase next year.

A big problem is trying to collect taxes from deadbeat and/or absentee property owners.

Old 07-17-2015, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb1754 View Post
Hi All,

I'm planning to make the jump from New York with my wife to Philly next year and we're planning to settle down shortly thereafter. Costs in New York are just too high and right now Philadelphia has a lot to offer in the way of financial flexibility.

A lot has been made public about how bad the school system is in parts of the city, but could anyone clue me in to whether this is truth or media exaggeration. Are the schools dangerous or do they suffer from other problems like being overcrowded or poor teachers?

From what I've learned so far, it would seem that neighborhoods we have taken a liking to fall into the Bache-Martin, Moffet John, and Greenfield catchment.

We've heard great things about the Penn-Alexander catchment, but the homes, while affordable, are just too large for a young couple. I don't really need 7 bedrooms.

Thanks
FWIW there are terrific city magnet schools: Masterman(middle/HS), Central(HS), HS for the Performing Arts. But those would be years away for you.

Old 07-17-2015, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
That's the easy route but by no means the only route.

Penn Alexander has name recognition and is a good school. Typically the way parents play the philly school system is to find a decent elementary and get their kids into a magnet. A secondary approach is private or charter until you get into a magnet. Having met kids who grew up that way they ended up just as well off as their suburban counterparts. Bache martin is a good pick if you want to live in a walkable neighborhood school. Be careful with the catchment which is west francisville, fairmount, and parts of spring garden. The schools in the neighboring catchment are much worse.
I think Penn Alexander has a waiting list even if you are in its catchment.

It looks like Drexel Univ. is going to build a new school in the area they are developing where the, torn down, University HS used to be.

There is also a good school in S. Philly. Meredith? I forget the exact neighborhood.

As I understand it some charters are no better than public schools.

Catholics schools used to be an option even for non Catholics. Given all the school closings I don't know if that's a viable choice anymore.

Old 07-17-2015, 08:11 AM

633 posts, read 640,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb1754 View Post
Hi All,

Thanks
It's abysmal and the city schools are in a complete state of crisis right now as they struggle for funding. This is not a media exaggeration, its very difficult to see how it could get worse.

CPOMP is correct- if education is a concern for you the city is not an option.

Old 07-17-2015, 08:22 AM

233 posts, read 333,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
I think Penn Alexander has a waiting list even if you are in its catchment.

It looks like Drexel Univ. is going to build a new school in the area they are developing where the, torn down, University HS used to be.

There is also a good school in S. Philly. Meredith? I forget the exact neighborhood.

As I understand it some charters are no better than public schools.

Catholics schools used to be an option even for non Catholics. Given all the school closings I don't know if that's a viable choice anymore.
Meredith's catchment is mostly Queen Village, although it is drawn to exclude the projects.

OP, if you are interested in any specific school, you can find it's catchment area here
https://webapps.philasd.org/school_finder/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia