Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 02:11 PM

23 posts, read 249,836 times

Advertisements

I truly need an honest poll or testimonies from anyone who uses the Acela Express or other trains to commute each day to NYC from Philly or New Jersey. I am a healthcare provider and have received some job offers at a few hospitals and really want to hear from those who commute. Can it be done? Is it hard? How long have you commuted by train? In all honesty, I just don't want to live in NYC. I am 40, love the quietness of the suburbs. I also don't want the high cost of rent. Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2006, 08:47 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,558,929 times
I know there is a group of people that get on the Metroliner at 30th Street. They sit together and celebrate holidays. If you are in the Bucks County suburbs, you can drive (or take the R7 SEPTA train) to Trenton and take either NJ Transit, or Amtrak (but not the Metroliner or Acela).

Old 09-03-2006, 10:40 PM

1 posts, read 66,853 times
Yes, I commute regularly to NYC from Philly mainly because my job requires me to be in two locations and Philly is the primary location.

Here are your options:

Amtrak (my favorite) is the most convenient and the fastest way to go. Trains leave out of 30th St Station and there are 2 basic Amtrak options:

Acela/Metroliner: 1hr. 12min. on average, $78-$98 depending on the time
Regional: 1hr. 23-30min. $56-$62 depending on time

Trains come into Penn. Station in New York. Trains leave every 15-30 minutes during peak hours and always at least every hour. I find it very comfortable and easy to do some work on the train. The seats are nice and there are convenient tray tables. There are 1 month unlimited commuter passes that cost around $1000 and are also convenient. Amtrak offers lots of discounts (10%-15%) if you book your ticket at least 3 days in advance if you are a AAA member and others.

SEPTA/NJ Transit (a real hassle) is a cost effective way to get you to NYC. Take the R7 from 30th St. Station/Suburban/Market East to Trenton this costs around $7-$8 and takes approx. 45 minutes. You then take NJ Transit's Northeast Corridor Line (NEC) to Penn. Station, this costs $11.50 and takes around 1h 30m. The connections are friendly, but it is time consuming and not very comfortable. I do not recommend this option unless you have a tight budget.

There are also the infamous Chinatown buses that now go from Philly's Chinatown to NYC's Port Authority, a little more convenient than before. They run 1 or 2 per hour and cost $12-$15 dollars. They say they can get you there in under 2 hours. Not pleasant, to say the least.

*******If you want to live in the suburbs of Philly you have these options:
There are direct Amtrak trains to NYC from two locations in the suburbs: Paoli & Ardmore. Both are great locations and fairly expensive. The tickets also tend to be slightly cheaper ($42-$56). From Paoli the time is 2 hr. 9-30min. and from Ardmore 2h 0-15min. It's so much longer than from Philly because there is a 20-30 minute stop once you reach Philly.
If you would rather live in cheaper suburbs you can take the SEPTA line from wherever that is into the city and then chose Amtrak or SEPTA/NJT from there.

To sum things up: The only sane way in my opinion is to live in Philly and take one of the Amtrak trains. If you live in Paoli or Ardmore, the extra hour can really ware you out. If this is a daily commute, as many many do from Philly to NYC, I can only recommend living very close to Philly's 30th St. Station and taking Amtrak. By the way, Amtrak also makes stops in NJ such as: Trenton, Princeton Junction, Metropark, New Brunswick, Newark.

I hope this helps!! Good luck!

Last edited by rcguy55; 09-03-2006 at 10:49 PM..

Old 12-27-2006, 09:04 PM

1 posts, read 66,864 times
Default Starting a new job in NYC

Hi

I moved to Glen Mills last year with my wife and was just laid off. I hooked up with a nice position back in NYC (after moving from NJ to here). Now I need to commute back.

These are great posts. Anyone have any information on cheap parking at 30th street>

Any groups that travel together on a regular basis. I am interested in hearing from all.
Thanks
Mike

Old 12-28-2006, 05:23 PM

4 posts, read 95,334 times
Cool Been commuting for around 14 years.

I've been doing it on an average four times a week for the past 14 years.If your taking acela its a real breeze. Its quick and painless unlike dental work.Im an actor so thats why I do it. However I take public transportation with all the other executives from philly who do it everyday and they dont complain so.And thats New Jersey Transit out of trenton after youve taken Septa from 30th street!!!! So Acela your sittin pretty nice! NO joke.HOpe this helps. Take the gig!! Its NYC!!!!!! TG

Old 07-04-2015, 09:31 AM

1 posts, read 11,336 times
LDo you know if I am driving from Newark airport to Philadelphia midtown , how long is the drive ?
Thanks

Old 07-04-2015, 01:48 PM

52 posts, read 44,750 times
I commuted from 30th St. to NY on Amtrak for 21 years until i retired. It doesn't take long to meet a nice group of people to sit with and almost all of them are still good friends.

Old 07-04-2015, 11:33 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,212,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alohbuddy View Post
LDo you know if I am driving from Newark airport to Philadelphia midtown , how long is the drive ?
Thanks
It will probably be anywhere between 1:10-1:30 depending on the condition of the Jersey Turnpike and which bridge (Ben Franklin, Walt Whitman, Betsy Ross, or Tacony-Palmyra) you are getting off at. Assuming the Ben Franklin Bridge, probably around 1:10-1:20 depending on traffic variables.

Old 07-05-2015, 12:26 AM

3,263 posts, read 5,619,974 times
Depending on traffic, it could easily take substantially longer than that!

Old 07-05-2015, 12:29 AM

233 posts, read 331,429 times
I once new a tech theater guy who lived in new york and commuted to philadelphia a few times a week while working on a production here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia