Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 04:49 PM

75 posts, read 123,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
Thank you! Thats sincerely very helpful! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 05:28 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,093,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxFromPhilly View Post
Exactly, you made my point for me. Too diverse. I'm from the city and never lived in the burbs so can you direct me to some less diverse suburbs?
I don't know, maybe Whiteville, or Klantown.

Old 03-14-2015, 04:23 PM

134 posts, read 475,181 times
Bristol is very much a row home kind of town...and its 80+% white. Conshohocken is very nice and overwhelmingly white. I wouldn't call any of the towns on the main line "Rowhouse Suburbs" but there are small/significant numbers of row homes in Ardmore, Narberth, Wayne & Bryn Mawr. West Chester is a great town to raise a family and while it isn't as convenient to the city...it has a ton going on in the area and is a very nice college town. Otherwise you could check out parts of lower/inner Delaware county such as Ridley Park, Essington, Folcroft, Havertown...these areas have row homes and lots of them in certain neighborhoods. Honestly...you can find row homes in most of the older towns in the PA suburbs. Many of them happen to be within walking distance of a train station as well.

Old 03-14-2015, 04:27 PM

75 posts, read 123,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweendog024 View Post
Bristol is very much a row home kind of town...and its 80+% white. Conshohocken is very nice and overwhelmingly white. I wouldn't call any of the towns on the main line "Rowhouse Suburbs" but there are small/significant numbers of row homes in Ardmore, Narberth, Wayne & Bryn Mawr. West Chester is a great town to raise a family and while it isn't as convenient to the city...it has a ton going on in the area and is a very nice college town. Otherwise you could check out parts of lower/inner Delaware county such as Ridley Park, Essington, Folcroft, Havertown...these areas have row homes and lots of them in certain neighborhoods. Honestly...you can find row homes in most of the older towns in the PA suburbs. Many of them happen to be within walking distance of a train station as well.
I am originally from Kensington and then Whitman and Pennsport South Philly after white flight. For me personally I feel uncomfortable it the demographics dip below 90% because I know that once a neighborhood his 15% black it starts to go down and the schools tend to be even more diverse so an 85% white town will only have 70% white schools. I have been white flighting my entire life and I don't want that for my kids

Old 03-15-2015, 01:31 PM

I follow the changing demographics of various neighborhoods in and around Philadelphia pretty closely and since you say you are coming from Kensington I can understand your concern about white flight. However I am curious as to why you are concerned your current neighborhood is going to go downhill...In fact I live a very short distance from there and i've been paying attention to increasing home prices, schools getting better and a stable old-school white population.

Additionally I would not be concerned about any of the main line neighborhoods changing anytime in the near future, or Conshohocken for that matter. Bristol MAY change but I anticipate a change for the better...not a change for the worse...in the next decade or so. The only suburbs that are really changing dramatically for the worse in the next decade or so may be the inner ring delco suburbs like Upper Darby and surrounding towns like Yeadon, Lansdowne, etc. and Cheltenham/Bensalem may see a slight downward trend.

Old 03-15-2015, 03:10 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,406,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweendog024 View Post
Cheltenham/Bensalem
What does Bensalem have to do with Cheltenham? The two are many, many miles apart and while connected by 276, one might as well cut through Philly to get from one to the other.

Old 03-15-2015, 05:10 PM

I know where Bensalem is but I kind of lump the two in a similar category since they are "inner ring suburbs"...areas that abut the city, are well serviced by public transportation and generally have seen an increase in ethnic diversity over the course of the last 10-20 years.

Old 03-15-2015, 07:33 PM

283 posts, read 463,717 times
Phoenixville is a good option, as someone state earlier, however transit to Philly is not one of its advantages. It's about 80% white, 8% black, 8% hispanic, and the rest is asian or other. It's got great rowhouse neighborhoods, has a great school (I can attest to it, I recently graduated from there) and is a town on the upswing.

Also maybe a little diversity would do you good! Diversity is correlated with how "good" a neighborhood is, but its certainly not the cause. I truly hope you don't think that diversity is a bad thing. In most cases, racially diverse neighborhoods are "bad" because of a longstanding history of racism and disinvestment by white people. Diversity is not inherently bad.

Old 03-15-2015, 08:08 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,406,060 times
For a horrific story about white flight, read the story of Dixie Square Mall in Harvey, Illinois. I really, really can't name another building so symbolic of white flight (but also the bad element within the otherwise trustworthy minority community).

Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
Jersey id probably a good fit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia