Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 11:47 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,755,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
One of our great shames lol.. That movie was not shot here. The movie "Creed" (newest rocky movie) is filming now in the city though.

Embarrassing: Why "World War Z" Wasn't Filmed in Philly | NBC 10 Philadelphia

Or the film industry is too greedy. I know nothing of the business so I can't say.
Or it's more like people in Harrisburg being myopic, while states like Louisiana, keep attracting film business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 11:34 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Anyone know if that Mcdonald's was on Broad and Arch during the time this movie was filmed?

Old 03-25-2015, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
Anyone know if that Mcdonald's was on Broad and Arch during the time this movie was filmed?
Dunno. But I doubt it.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:33 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,897,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Re Limitless? The movie was released in 2011 so probably sometime in 2010.

Yes, I think something did happen with the PA tax credit probably because upstate politicians were not seeing any benefit for their localities.

The last largest production I can think of that was shot in the area was Silver Linings Playbook. There is this new Rocky movie, Creed, but I don't think there's much interest in it really.
Atlanta jumped all over it. PA blew it again.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:36 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,897,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
I've noticed that a lot of production crews on many films being shot in NYC in recent years have been Philly area based (based on the PA plates and addresses on their trucks). Interesting and perhaps related?

Yes, many of us HAVE to seek work up there. Also FWIW. there's plenty of New Yorkers who come here (PA/SJ) for work. Just not as much as crews go up there to day play.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:40 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
Quote:
Oh, right. I forgot about that one. Except for the opening views of the skyline, I don't think much else of it was shot here.
I thought it was kind of cool that they filmed in Glasgow but set in Philly; it made me realize some similarities between the cities.

But yeah, jobs/money/investment and all that would have been nice for the city.

Has anyone ever seen the movie Cedar Rapids? For some reason they use the Philly skyline in the beginning of the movie, but it's supposed to be Cedar Rapids, Iowa. I was also watching behind the scenes stuff on The Wire a few years ago and they used the Philly skyline while talking about Baltimore. Strange...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9VspqcwtJQ

Old 03-25-2015, 01:05 PM

690 posts, read 1,007,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I thought it was kind of cool that they filmed in Glasgow but set in Philly; it made me realize some similarities between the cities.

Has anyone ever seen the movie Cedar Rapids? For some reason they use the Philly skyline in the beginning of the movie, but it's supposed to be Cedar Rapids, Iowa. I was also watching behind the scenes stuff on The Wire a few years ago and they used the Philly skyline while talking about Baltimore. Strange...
It happens all the time its just that most people would never notice unless they're familiar with skylines and geography or from that location. Directors scout many locations to get there scenes even if its outside of the initial plot setting, if they believe Cedar Rapids would look better to an audience if they gave it a quick glimpse of Philadelphia's skyline before anyone notice that its actually Philadelphia then that's what they will do. There were some shows that are actually set in Baltimore and filmed there as well like Step Up, The Wire, The Invasion, Sum of all Fears, Hairspray, Justice for All, etc. However, there are movies and television shows where Baltimore is the backdrop for many scenes that are filmed here but are set somewhere else. Head of State/House of Cards/Veep filmed in Baltimore set in DC. In The Social Network Johns Hopkins University was a double for Harvard due to its similar architecture its funny because it had everyone wanting to go to Harvard in the comment section on youtube when they seen Jesse Eisenburg who played Zuckerburg running on the Homewood campus of Hopkins. There was even a scene in Veep where Baltimore's Engineers Club and Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport were made to stand in for Helsinki, Finland. Its amazing what those production designers can do sometimes all it take is a credit at the bottom to say "you are here" and the audience will believe it.

Last edited by Northernest Southernest C; 03-25-2015 at 01:40 PM..

Old 03-25-2015, 01:36 PM

Well said^. My alma mater (Manhattan College) actually stood in for Harvard in a few scenes of A Beautiful Mind.

Old 03-25-2015, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9VspqcwtJQ
In a couple of episodes, if I'm remembering it correctly, some of the plot involved Philadelphia.

Old 03-25-2015, 03:08 PM

Quote:
In a couple of episodes, if I'm remembering it correctly, some of the plot involved Philadelphia.
Yeah, true but this was explicitly talking about Baltimore in a behind the scenes type mini-documentary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia