Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 04:58 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,093,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whole Milk View Post
They'd better have some damn good ice cream, because that's a lousy name!
Better not tell Al.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 06:20 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,758,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonCountyLiving View Post
I'm in the Gayborhood often at night and I'm a woman. There's nothing unsafe about it.
Thank you. I'm a woman too. I've been going there, as I said upthread, for about 35 years. Sometimes alone back then. Sometimes with one other person. I never felt unsafe and nothing ever happened to me except dancing my a$$ off at the gay clubs that existed at the time one of which was an after hours club so I was out till easily 3/4 am.

Old 03-30-2015, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Very true. Recent surveys have shown that over 60 percent of young Republicans support gay marriage. I believe the divide on gay rights is more about generation and education then ideology.
There's some truth to that.

But they are still in a party that puts up with the evangelical theocrats , Tea Party facists, and Ayn Randian nutballs.

The gay Reps, who are Log Cabin members, are delusional. I've met a bunch of them too. They keep hoping scraps from other Reps will show up. They don't give credit where it's due to progressives who actually fought for gay rights or became AIDS activists while they stayed in the closet.

Now, I'm not thrilled with Dems either. I'm a dinosaur and I really do not want to vote for another damned dinosaur, Hillary Clinton. Dems have done an AWFUL job of getting new blood(Gen-X)to run for national office.

Old 03-30-2015, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Bet you could not even get in the door. Never been in there when it was not crowded so can just imagine it on St Paddys.
Well, yeah... lol I've been going there for years. I love that place. There used to be a gay bar next to it for a short while years ago.

Old 03-30-2015, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Meh ... doesn't change the fact there's a lot of nasty stuff going on with gay drunks, drugs and prostitutes.
Then stay away and clutch your pearls while you're at as the rest of us enjoy it.

Old 03-30-2015, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Living there I do not see much of the prostitution you speak of. Gay drunks? Yea some gays know how to party and does not offend me in the least. Drugs? It is a highly populated area with a lot of night life, but dealers are a block or two away from the busy areas.

All in all what area of Center City does not have it's share of seediness? I would rather deal with it in area's with a lot of foot traffic then area's where the sidewalk traffic is not that great at night.
There was visible prostitution a long time ago. In fact I knew someone who did that, also lived in University City, and tended bar during the day time. At night he/she became "Terry" and went to "work". Terry was one of the most interesting persons I've ever met.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:59 AM

1,140 posts, read 1,405,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I am at Woodys almost every weekend, and have never once witnessed any of the sexual or trashy behavior that is being described when they let out at 2, and I am usually sober and aware of my surroundings.

Gay men are not any worse than straight men or women when it comes to drinking and crudeness.

Aside from a stretch of Chestnut st, the Gayborhood is one of the most exciting parts of Center City with so many great eateries and bars, gay and straight.
Is this the 1200 block of Chestnut you speak of? It has the Bailey Building at 1218 Chestnut which holds a Wine & Spirits SuperStore but was rumored about two years ago to be closing to make room for a luxury hotel. I highly doubt the PLCB will close that store anytime soon, as it ranks as first or second highest volume in the state. They will also probably convert it to Fine Wine & Good Spirits soon, but with the new store at 2040 Market (replacing one at 1913 Chestnut) and a new one coming soon to Society Hill, they might wait awhile.

Old 03-30-2015, 11:56 AM

1,810 posts, read 2,764,791 times
Quote:
Yeah, but there's still all kinds of nasty stuff happening after dark.
I saw two females kissing on the sidewalk there.

...and a purse snatching...

Neither seemed out of place in a big city.

Old 03-30-2015, 12:18 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Quote:
Meh ... doesn't change the fact there's a lot of nasty stuff going on with gay drunks, drugs and prostitutes.
Eh...I've been in & out of that neighborhood since about 1970, when I was in college at Broad & Pine. It used to be the Greek businesses on the eastern edge. I've seen every variety of hooker there. You'd get the stray art student, some sailors, and some drunks. When coke became popular you'd see the evidence on the ground.

It's a big city. If it offends your sensibilities, Indianapolis might be the place for you.

Old 03-30-2015, 12:30 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,405,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
It's a big city. If it offends your sensibilities, Indianapolis might be the place for you.
This is typical East Coast ignorance of the rest of our country. Indianapolis isn't far behind Detroit (and the nasty parts of Chicago) on the scale of high crime and urban decay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia