Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2015, 07:49 PM

1 posts, read 2,061 times

Advertisements

We're relocating to the Philly area. Originally we focused our search in Media, Devon, Wayne area and realized that we could not find what we wanted. Our budget for a house is roughly $650K, and we want the following: decent sized yard (big enough for kids to run around in the backyard and not be forced to play on the street), minimum of 2700 sq ft, 4 bedrooms and newer construction (20 years old'ish). We were drawn to the areas above for commute purposes as they seemed a bit central to where we are working (KOP, Radnor) and good school districts. After looking at 15+ houses, we're starting to rule these areas out and are going further out. We're starting to look at West Chester Henderson West, Great Valley and Garnet Valley. Could anyone speak to the quality of these school districts? Any other suburb options for good school district/ 'decent' commute time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 11:34 PM

283 posts, read 463,320 times
All those school districts are fine for a motivated student. Based on their purported "reputations" however, people would probably order it Great Valley, Henderson, then Garnet Valley, but again like I said, they're all just fine. In terms of commute time to KOP and Radnor, I'm not 100% sure but based on what I know, I'd say it's probably be the same order, Great Valley, West Chester, then Garnet Valley. Not sure where you'd get the biggest bang for your buck though.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:12 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,419,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalobrat View Post
We're starting to look at West Chester Henderson West, Great Valley and Garnet Valley. Could anyone speak to the quality of these school districts? Any other suburb options for good school district/ 'decent' commute time?
West Chester Henderson West is not a school district. The West Chester Area School District is comprised of three high schools... B. Reed Henderson is one of those schools.

http://home.wcasd.net/pages/West_Chester_Area_SD

Old 04-03-2015, 11:07 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
All areas are similarly priced, and very desirable and great schools.

I would say Great Valley and Garnet Valley schools are ranked slightly higher than West Chester Schools.

You may also want to check out the Newtown Square and Media areas due to their proximity to your job locations.

Last edited by cpomp; 04-03-2015 at 11:20 AM..

Old 06-13-2015, 09:55 AM

13 posts, read 12,090 times
I've been looking in similar areas, basically the same price range, and for me taxes were a big factor along with the schools. The two go hand-in-hand. WCASD has the lowest millage rate in Chester County, maybe DelCo also, but still has good schools. Garnet Valley has great schools, but the taxes are crazy...I bypassed houses I really liked for that reason only. Same goes for Downingtown...good schools, but a significantly higher millage rate.

I've been renting a really nice home in the West Chester Borough for the past year, and finally found a house with the right combination of what I was looking for - great lot, character, size, neighborhood, etc., and while it's a few minutes outside of the borough, my kids will be going to the same schools.

One thing to keep in mind is that you can always appeal your home's assessment. When you buy a home, the HUD statement basically establishes its value, and there are two thresholds to keep in mind - 57.7% in ChesCo, ~68% in DelCo. If the assessed value is higher as a percentage of the purchase price than those thresholds, you should be able to successfully appeal the assessed value and lower the taxes.

These tables are really interesting to check out:

Chester County Tax Rates for 2014: http://www.chesco.org/DocumentCenter/View/18829
Delaware County Tax Rates for 2015: http://www.co.delaware.pa.us/treasurer/TaxRate2015.pdf

There'a quite a bit of variation, especially in DelCo...check out the total millage in Thornbury township. A nice house there won't stay on the market more than a week. Something to consider when you're house shopping...(relatively) reasonable taxes make a house much more appealing for everyone.

Old 06-14-2015, 01:41 PM

126 posts, read 203,542 times
In terms of reputation I would say the schools probably rank Great Valley> Garnet Valley>Henderson. But, they are all great school districts. In terms of personal preference, i'd go with Great Valley>Henderson> Garnet Valley. They're all upper middle to upper class areas, so you shouldn't have to worry. It seems like you are more fixated on the house than the area, so if that is the case I understand looking further out to find exactly what you want. But, if you're willing to compromise on the age of the house, I would highly recommend radnor township, Zip codes fall within (19087, 19010, and a small portion of 19073). It's a lot of older homes and the new construction would most likely be out of your budget. But, it is an amazing area and it's expensive for a reason. Great schools and great community. Plus, if you're already working there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia