Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 12:07 PM

233 posts, read 333,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post

If by "integrated" you mean there's interaction between (among) the various groups, quite probably, but I can think of some parts of Germantown that would give Mt. Airy a run for its money. And as far as socioeconomic diversity is concerned, I think Germantown takes the prize here. It has census tracts ranging from 80+ percent below the poverty line (mostly in its southerly reaches and in East Germantown) to those with incomes up there with the better-off parts of Mt. Airy and Chestnut Hill (in particular the Tulpehocken Historic District at Germantown's northwest corner).
I live in the Tulpehocken historic district, and funnily enough the building I live in bills itself as being in "West Mount Airy," presumably because they think it sounds nicer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 07:30 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,753,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwanko View Post
I live in the Tulpehocken historic district, and funnily enough the building I live in bills itself as being in "West Mount Airy," presumably because they think it sounds nicer.
Once upon a time Germantown was THE place for professional and middle class blacks to move to from, say, W. Philly. And Tulpehocken was one those neighborhoods. It was either Germantown or Yeadon in DelCo.

Old 05-09-2015, 08:46 AM

14,155 posts, read 9,043,710 times
Quote:
By the way, I just learned (by virtue of being placed in its neighborhood when I joined Nextdoor) that there's a National Register and city historic district near me in East Germantown:

The Awbury Historic District.

It includes the grounds of the Awbury Arboretum and a few surrounding streets, including some blocks that were developed as suburban row homes in the 1920s. It does not include my block of Chelten Avenue.

Old 05-09-2015, 08:50 AM

Quote:
I don't know the exact boundaries of the Tulpehocken district, but if it crosses Johnson Street, part of it is in West Mt. Airy.

Old 05-09-2015, 12:39 PM

712 posts, read 701,151 times
Quote:
I don't know the exact boundaries of the Tulpehocken district, but if it crosses Johnson Street, part of it is in West Mt. Airy.
The streets designated by the National Register are:

6000 and 6100 unit blocks of McCallum, Greene and Wayne
100 and 200 unit blocks of Tulpehocken and Walnut

Old 05-09-2015, 03:39 PM

233 posts, read 333,900 times
Quote:
By the way, I just learned (by virtue of being placed in its neighborhood when I joined Nextdoor) that there's a National Register and city historic district near me in East Germantown:

The Awbury Historic District.

It includes the grounds of the Awbury Arboretum and a few surrounding streets, including some blocks that were developed as suburban row homes in the 1920s. It does not include my block of Chelten Avenue.
There are like 4 historic NRHP districts in Germantown. They tend to have very small and specific boundries, although I believe one consists of all of Germantown ave from Wayne Junction to somewhere in Mt Airy.

Old 05-09-2015, 06:19 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,926,582 times
Quote:
There are like 4 historic NRHP districts in Germantown. They tend to have very small and specific boundries, although I believe one consists of all of Germantown ave from Wayne Junction to somewhere in Mt Airy.
Yep-and although the Penn-Knox district has several homes on the national historic register it is not a designated district...yet.

Great news recently for the area: This 11 bedroom house is finally being fixed up.

After years of neglect, new owners have big plans for blighted house in Penn-Knox

Old 05-10-2015, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR Valentine View Post
The streets designated by the National Register are:

6000 and 6100 unit blocks of McCallum, Greene and Wayne
100 and 200 unit blocks of Tulpehocken and Walnut
Minor fix:

"unit block" = the block with addresses from 1 to 99

So this would be:

6000 and 6100 blocks of McCallum and Green streets and Wayne Avenue
Unit, 100 and 200 blocks of West Tulpehocken Street and West Walnut Lane

(Germantown Avenue being the starting point [1] for addresses East and West once the street crosses from Nicetown into Germantown at Wayne Junction)

Thanks for the info, and none of the district is in Mount Airy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia