Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 08:31 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
It's irreverent How. WANNAMAKER'S WAS LOST? IT IS STILL OPEN AS A MACY'S or the other one. CHICAGO also lost its Big retailers on State Street OVER DECADES.

Chicago already had a NEW evolving High-End shopping Street evolve on North Michigan Ave in the 70s. State Street was the original one. It Lost it's SEAR'S Flagship store first in the early 80s maybe late 70s? WEEBOLT'S . A local Big retailer then went under. MONTGOMERY WARD'S lasted till it went under in 2000. MARSHALL FIELD'S CHICAGO'S main Retailer lasted till it went under In the late 90s I believe? But MACY'S TOOK IT OVERAND KEPT IT ORIGINAL AND RESTORED IT. CARSON PIERRE SCOTT Retailer I believe was Last to go. It is a downtown TARGET Store now retaining its exterior iron grid-work on the National Landmark list.

The City closed the street to traffic in the 80s and tried a Mall concept with only Buses. It continued to lose stores during that time and was considered a flop. It was Reopened to traffic in the 90s and began to bounce Back. Even SEAR'S BUILT a brand new store and New Typical Suburban Mall Stores now fill the Street, along with the Iconic former MARSHALL FIELD'S AS A MACY'S KEEPING ITS OLD GRANDURE INTACT and the TARGET Surprisingly. The ICONIC CHICAGO THEATER is also on the street and A Brand new Public Library built in the 90's as the biggest in the Nation. Maybe world?

So CHICAGO HAS 2 VIBRANT SHOPPING STREETS DOWNTOWN. ORIGINAL STATE STREET as our common stores and MALL and MACY'S and NORTH MICHIGAN AVE THE HIGH-END RETAILERS . Bloomingdales, Neiman Markus, Saks's, Tiffany's, Macy's again and others AND BOUTIQUE STORES AROUND IT and couple Vertical Malls on it

You have Malls and Market Place's to shop Downtown Philly to University City? Not a Classic Downtown shopping street. But PHILLY IS STILL NOT SHORT ON STORES TODAY.

PHILLY SHOPPING ALSO OVER ALL IS RATED TOPS. JUST AGAIN MALLS

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2015/01/15/magazine-ranks-philly-the-second-best-shopping-city-in-the-world/

CHICAGO LISTED # 2 AFTER NYC # 1 Shopping destination. http://travel.usnews.com/Rankings/Best_Shopping_in_the_USA/

But it's NORTH MICHIGN AVE CHICAGO AS A STREET.....IS WHAT IS COMPARED TO RODEO DRIVE LA. AND 5th AVE NYC.

Using CAPS is my style I chose. You don't like WHAT I POSTED. Again The thread says Philly a Role Model to the Nation? (question mark)Sure there are things. But seems ALL YOU WANT IS BACK PATTING PHILLY IS NOW BEST. Just not some things but ALL?
My problem? Just because I don't like old plain Rows on narrow streets. It's merely a matter of preferences by me and when comparing cities? I'd choose a loft or Apt. Building over Rows. Probably over even fancy new ones.

As for Downtowns in the nation's NEW TOWNHOUSES? They many times are glorified and encompass interior courtyards and Parks as these in Chicago for example.....

NO HATE PLEASE ...... BECAUSE I ADD OPINIONS TO THE THREAD.
Typing in caps is yelling. Not just my opinion.

You're welcome to your opinions, but you are yelling at people who post opinions that don't coincide with yours. That's pretty irritating. You are also making posts that aren't exactly up to snuff for truth like saying that Philly was late with gentrification. That's wrong. That's outright false.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 08:54 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,281,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Typing in caps is yelling. Not just my opinion.

You're welcome to your opinions, but you are yelling at people who post opinions that don't coincide with yours. That's pretty irritating. You are also making posts that aren't exactly up to snuff for truth like saying that Philly was late with gentrification. That's wrong. That's outright false.
I did not mean neighborhoods residential. I meant for downtown Philly that is neither University or a classic residential district. But Downtown Philly is what I meant. Of course I acknowledge it has NOW taken off especially the last 10-15 years. New office towers, retail moving back in. and new residences added downtown. Other cities had a decade and more head start.... what I meant. I do know the gayborhood downtown Philly? Was a early example of gentrification started also.

Not meant as a dissing? Because it surely has come. Sure Philly residents should be proud I just saw "Role model" from this new C-D maker of this Thread. He goes in threads totally on other cities and says Philly is better AND BEST at ALL THINGS. Then the thread has others " up in arms". I mean heated.... of course ....and he gets called a troll and had previous ID's .... they say what names ect.

Old 04-19-2015, 09:33 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
It's irreverent How. WANNAMAKER'S WAS LOST? IT IS STILL OPEN AS A MACY'S or the other one. CHICAGO also lost its Big retailers on State Street OVER DECADES.

Chicago already had a NEW evolving High-End shopping Street evolve on North Michigan Ave in the 70s. State Street was the original one. It Lost it's SEAR'S Flagship store first in the early 80s maybe late 70s? WEEBOLT'S . A local Big retailer then went under. MONTGOMERY WARD'S lasted till it went under in 2000. MARSHALL FIELD'S CHICAGO'S main Retailer lasted till it went under In the late 90s I believe? But MACY'S TOOK IT OVERAND KEPT IT ORIGINAL AND RESTORED IT. CARSON PIERRE SCOTT Retailer I believe was Last to go. It is a downtown TARGET Store now retaining its exterior iron grid-work on the National Landmark list.

The City closed the street to traffic in the 80s and tried a Mall concept with only Buses. It continued to lose stores during that time and was considered a flop. It was Reopened to traffic in the 90s and began to bounce Back. Even SEAR'S BUILT a brand new store and New Typical Suburban Mall Stores now fill the Street, along with the Iconic former MARSHALL FIELD'S AS A MACY'S KEEPING ITS OLD GRANDURE INTACT and the TARGET Surprisingly. The ICONIC CHICAGO THEATER is also on the street and A Brand new Public Library built in the 90's as the biggest in the Nation. Maybe world?

So CHICAGO HAS 2 VIBRANT SHOPPING STREETS DOWNTOWN. ORIGINAL STATE STREET as our common stores and MALL and MACY'S and NORTH MICHIGAN AVE THE HIGH-END RETAILERS . Bloomingdales, Neiman Markus, Saks's, Tiffany's, Macy's again and others AND BOUTIQUE STORES AROUND IT and couple Vertical Malls on it

You have Malls and Market Place's to shop Downtown Philly to University City? Not a Classic Downtown shopping street. But PHILLY IS STILL NOT SHORT ON STORES TODAY.

PHILLY SHOPPING ALSO OVER ALL IS RATED TOPS. JUST AGAIN MALLS

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2015/01/15/magazine-ranks-philly-the-second-best-shopping-city-in-the-world/

CHICAGO LISTED # 2 AFTER NYC # 1 Shopping destination. http://travel.usnews.com/Rankings/Best_Shopping_in_the_USA/

But it's NORTH MICHIGN AVE CHICAGO AS A STREET.....IS WHAT IS COMPARED TO RODEO DRIVE LA. AND 5th AVE NYC.

Using CAPS is my style I chose. You don't like WHAT I POSTED. Again The thread says Philly a Role Model to the Nation? (question mark)Sure there are things. But seems ALL YOU WANT IS BACK PATTING PHILLY IS NOW BEST. Just not some things but ALL?
My problem? Just because I don't like old plain Rows on narrow streets. It's merely a matter of preferences by me and when comparing cities? I'd choose a loft or Apt. Building over Rows. Probably over even fancy new ones.

As for Downtowns in the nation's NEW TOWNHOUSES? They many times are glorified and encompass interior courtyards and Parks as these in Chicago for example.....

NO HATE PLEASE ...... BECAUSE I ADD OPINIONS TO THE THREAD.

Why is Philly being compared to Chicago?

Old 04-19-2015, 10:53 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
I did not mean neighborhoods residential. I meant for downtown Philly that is neither University or a classic residential district. But Downtown Philly is what I meant. Of course I acknowledge it has NOW taken off especially the last 10-15 years. New office towers, retail moving back in. and new residences added downtown. Other cities had a decade and more head start.... what I meant. I do know the gayborhood downtown Philly? Was a early example of gentrification started also.

Not meant as a dissing? Because it surely has come. Sure Philly residents should be proud I just saw "Role model" from this new C-D maker of this Thread. He goes in threads totally on other cities and says Philly is better AND BEST at ALL THINGS. Then the thread has others " up in arms". I mean heated.... of course ....and he gets called a troll and had previous ID's .... they say what names ect.
Are you aware that the Gallery was the 1st inner-city mall in the country? Were you aware that Chestnut St was once a pedestrian mall? Are you aware that anyone who has lived in Philly or the suburbs for 6 months knows the contempt that most people who live between Philadelphia & Pittsburgh have for Philadelphia?

You didn't say retail you said that Philadelphia was late to gentrification when, in fact, it was first. The Gallery brought more retail to Market St & had the 1st food court.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:55 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
Why is Philly being compared to Chicago?
It's been an active thread on the city-data/forum/city-vs-city lately.

Old 04-20-2015, 01:37 PM

90 posts, read 130,438 times
Don't think you can be a model city with a corrupt local government, horrible schools, and such high levels of poverty.

Old 04-20-2015, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyTightWad View Post
Don't think you can be a model city with a corrupt local government, horrible schools, and such high levels of poverty.
Negadelphian in the house.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:25 PM

183 posts, read 220,574 times
How many other cities have made a turnaround as dramatic as Philly in the 2010's?

Old 04-21-2015, 06:51 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_curious_urbanist View Post
How many other cities have made a turnaround as dramatic as Philly in the 2010's?
DC most notably-not exclusively in a good way either, which is why it's so frustrating when posters such as yourself keep yelling about how much things have changed.

Some of us like Philly how it is, and don't want it to change so dramatically.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
DC most notably-not exclusively in a good way either, which is why it's so frustrating when posters such as yourself keep yelling about how much things have changed.

Some of us like Philly how it is, and don't want it to change so dramatically.
Hmmm, really? You want/wanted to preserve blight, decay, losing population?

Well, I don't think you mean that. But, come on, there was very little investment in even close-to-CC neighborhoods for decades. Now there is. Stop dreaming for the Rizzo era. Or what was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia