Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2015, 12:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,408 times

Advertisements

Help!!!!
My family is moving to PA this summer and I am trying to figure out the personalities of the Phili Suburbs around Berwyn. We are moving from a newer planned community that has a neighborhood pool and is bike and walking friendly. We are looking for good public schools, but ones where the kids are having fun and learning vs. feeling like the world will end if they don't get into Harvard because their mom went there My kids are both honor students and I would like to find a school that will challenge them but without the drama of class rank competition.
I keep reading threads about the money and snobby attitudes. Is that reality - is it keeping up with Jones' or just attitudes of I deserve more and cliques- or is it just that people have an excess of money which intimidates or annoys some people? And people have made subtle remarks about how different Randor township is from Lower Merion township but noone will say how they are different. We are looking at Radnor, Harriton (because of the IB program), Lower Merion, and Great Valley high schools. I have read some things about the competitive culture at Conestoga High School that turned me off of that school initially.

Does anyone have kids in these high schools and associated middle schools who could give some real feedback about the community cultures and local 'knowledge' about the schools.

We have moved many times when our kids were little and have lived in NY, Boston MA, the burbs outside of Dallas and Houston, and FL. And every move taught us you can't know a place until you live there. But this is the first move with a middle and high schooler and we don't have time to rent and then buy a house - we'd like to be able to jump right in.

Any opinions or thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 12:42 PM

9,335 posts, read 13,004,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyo
Help!!!!
Is on its way .

Quote:
My family is moving to PA this summer and I am trying to figure out the personalities of the Phili Suburbs around Berwyn.
Philly.

Quote:
We are moving from a newer planned community that has a neighborhood pool and is bike and walking friendly.
You can easily get one or the other, but both seldom come together around here.

Quote:
We are looking for good public schools, but ones where the kids are having fun and learning vs. feeling like the world will end if they don't get into Harvard because their mom went there
It isn't a question of one or the other. While some high schools are more competitive than others, the degree to which your kids get caught in the rat race is up to them. Suffice to say, the median student at these schools will be going to somewhere like Penn State, not Harvard.

Quote:
My kids are both honor students and I would like to find a school that will challenge them but without the drama of class rank competition.
Schools that are capable of preparing competitive students for competitive universities are invariably going to have a competitive undercurrent, which isn't a bad thing (IMO) because life is competitive. Obviously there are healthy and unhealthy ways of approaching competition, but once again, the degree to which your children engage in this culture is up to them.

Quote:
I keep reading threads about the money and snobby attitudes. Is that reality - is it keeping up with Jones' or just attitudes of I deserve more and cliques- or is it just that people have an excess of money which intimidates or annoys some people?
A bit of both, I suppose? While there's definitely a "keeping up with the Joneses" set on the Main Line, they're a fairly small (and for the most part easily avoidable) minority.

Quote:
And people have made subtle remarks about how different Randor township is from Lower Merion township but noone will say how they are different.
Not sure who says that, because they're far more alike than different. The biggest difference I can think of is that LM has a perennially large Jewish population (25-30%), and Radnor has a moderate, more newly established Jewish population (~10%). I'm guessing this makes no difference to you.

Quote:
We are looking at Radnor, Harriton (because of the IB program), Lower Merion, and Great Valley high schools. I have read some things about the competitive culture at Conestoga High School that turned me off of that school initially.
I went to Harriton, and if you want to talk easily avoidable pressure cooker culture, look no further than IB. The honors/AP kids, like myself, tended to be much happier/less caught up in the competition. Except for val/sal (and a confidential list kept on-hand for colleges that would otherwise penalize prospective students), Harriton and LM don't rank, by the way.

Quote:
Does anyone have kids in these high schools and associated middle schools who could give some real feedback about the community cultures and local 'knowledge' about the schools.
I went to Welsh Valley and Harriton. Ask me more specific questions and I'll give you answers.

Old 01-02-2016, 07:55 AM

1 posts, read 1,176 times
Hi there! Not sure if you have moved already, but I live in Berwyn and it is great. My kids are middle school ages. Just like anywhere, there will be a mix of cliques, snobs and also great people. You can't go wrong here. : )

Old 01-02-2016, 06:11 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,215,138 times
Based on competitiveness from highest to lowest I would rank Lower Merion, Radnor gap Great Valley.

Another very high achieving schol district is Unionville-Chadds Ford which is about 30 minutes swest from Berwyn. Much more laid back environment imo at least it used to be. Unionville -Chadds Ford is always ranked near the top of Pa public school along with LM,Radnor,GV. U-CF may be worth looking into if you are looking for a less stressful district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia