U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 12:50 PM

9,299 posts, read 5,171,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motownewave View Post
Racist, or honest and realistic?
All the Sikhs that I've seen/heard in Millburne speak English. So your rant about Millburne is just plan wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 12:56 PM

9,299 posts, read 5,171,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
If being in close proximity to non-whites and/or foreigners scares and bothers you so much, why don't you move to some small town in the middle of Utah or something where you never have to see them again? Seriously, if seeing black people on the subway bother you, Philadelphia is the wrong place to be.
It's the same racist attitude that creates the idea that crossing some arbitrary street number in W. Philly means you will be a crime victim.

Old 04-26-2015, 01:05 PM

21,858 posts, read 27,133,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweendog024 View Post
In order to see the potential in a place like Upper Darby you have to concentrate on what the area could potentially offer to those considering moving there. If we want to concentrate this conversation on young white "hipsters" then I think it is very reasonable to think this area very well may attract those individuals in the not too distant future. Take it for what it is worth but i am a late 20's white guy living in South Philadelphia but grew up in an area maybe 15 minutes away from 69th Street Terminal.

Key Points
- 24 hour access to all subway stations in Philadelphia (something no other suburb has)
- Lower income taxes than in Philadelphia
- Lower rent than in Philadelphia
- There is also a distinct international flavor to the area that DOES attract SOME people looking for that. Very few (If any) other suburbs of Philadelphia offer a similar international flavor.
- Lots of commercial space (right now much of it is empty or catering to a lower income demographic)

These are things that are necessary for future successful urban development. Look at Fishtown 30 years ago, look at Point Breeze today as opposed to 5 years ago, look at Passyunk avenue 20 years ago, look at main street manayunk in 35 years ago compared to what it is today.

What do all of those places have in common? relatively easy access to center city, large commercial corridors close at hand, and a distinct ethnic flavor to the neighborhood that made it unique and interesting for young people to move there. Not to mention cheap.

Having said that I am very familiar with how dangerous Upper Darby CAN be. But lets not lie to ourselves and say this is like Frankford, Kensington or Strawberry Mansion. It is, in fact, a very diverse township. This certainly comes with its benefits and its drawbacks but in the long run it could provide a great deal of upside for people with a low income, who want to live in a walkable area with a easy commute to center city, some urban vibes and a unique international flavor. Best suited for the more adventurous types.
The towns on the PATCO line also have 24/7 access. I think that the 2 areas will split some people. Upper Darby does have the plus that Camden isn't an obstacle between it & Philadelphia.

Old 04-26-2015, 05:44 PM

1,140 posts, read 970,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
If being in close proximity to non-whites and/or foreigners scares and bothers you so much, why don't you move to some small town in the middle of Utah or something where you never have to see them again? Seriously, if seeing black people on the subway bother you, Philadelphia is the wrong place to be.
My only concern about the "international flavor" is the major, major lack of English proficiency among some of the (usually East Asian) folks there. And once I was at the Pathmark and a (Korean?) lady almost walked INTO the OUT door and into the path of my cart.

Old 04-26-2015, 07:09 PM

9,918 posts, read 14,007,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
The access to the city, University City and Penn in my case, was a major reason I lived in Upper Darby for a long time. It was convenient and I could save money. I essentially slept there but spent the bulk of my time in the city.

It's just as you say: the 69th St area needs huge investment in money. For the heck of it, the 20somethings here who think it has potential, take a stroll through 69th St Terminal, cross Market St onto Long Lane and try to imagine any of it looking better. It simply doesn't have the architectural bones that's readily apparent in, say, Fishtown.

The fact that it's has been a transportation hub for decades still keeps it vital but only as a "pass through" for many, many people.
East passyunk isn't exactly a collection of masterpieces. There is definitely untapped potential even if it will never be chestnut hill. I do think they are wasting an asset in Cobbs creek, among other things.

Old 04-26-2015, 07:34 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,376,564 times
Quote:
My only concern about the "international flavor" is the major, major lack of English proficiency among some of the (usually East Asian) folks there. And once I was at the Pathmark and a (Korean?) lady almost walked INTO the OUT door and into the path of my cart.
People speak languages other than English. Get over it.

Old 04-26-2015, 08:38 PM

5,685 posts, read 5,065,994 times
Quote:
Montgomery and Bucks counties are both everything either Delco or Philly could and should ever be. And then Chester County is kind of a contradiction - plenty of money is there, and thus Exton and Downingtown are meccas of shopping centers, but Coatesville and Kennett Square both have lots of crime (and poverty) that seems to not get the attention it should. Also, much of eastern Chesco (Devon, Berwyn, Paoli, Malvern, Frazer, Treddyffrin, etc) gets lopped in with the Main Line, but only the Eastern Main Line (which I do have to say badly needs a facelift, and I feel should try to do more to attract the young people moving from all over the world into the new and improved, "hip" districts of Philadelphia County such as Manayunk) has a clear reputation as "rich". There's plenty of money in the horse country of the Western Main Line, but the rest of eastern Chester County (such as Frazer... yuck) isn't necessarily poor but lacks charm.
Can I just ask what town do you live in and what do you do for a living?

You are so fast to insult perfectly fine towns like Kennett Square and many towns in Delco, and even throwing shade at parts of the Main line, when you really do not know what you are talking about/are way over generalizing very large areas.

I have asked you before, but when are you going to invite us all to your gated estate in Gladywne??

Old 04-26-2015, 11:59 PM

1,140 posts, read 970,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Can I just ask what town do you live in and what do you do for a living?

You are so fast to insult perfectly fine towns like Kennett Square and many towns in Delco, and even throwing shade at parts of the Main line, when you really do not know what you are talking about/are way over generalizing very large areas.

I have asked you before, but when are you going to invite us all to your gated estate in Gladywne??
I live in Greenville DE. For a living, I sell handmade items from foreign countries. People get paid a living wage to make those items.

Old 04-27-2015, 12:02 AM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,116,507 times
Say what you want about Upper Darby but I will still rather live in that area than any of the sections below.

North Philly
Kensington
Southwest
Germantown
Northeast
Camden

Old 04-27-2015, 03:04 PM

1,148 posts, read 645,777 times
Quote:
Good lord the horror! How will you ever recover from such a terrible ordeal? She almost walked into your cart! Call the cops!

Seriously, this is the East Coast of the United States, where hundreds (if not thousands) of different languages have been spoken on a daily basis since the arrival of non-English immigrants in the early 1800s. The large majority of immigrants here speak at least basic English, and many are at least somewhat fluent, if not fluent. If you don't like hearing other languages and seeing non-white people, you are living in one of the worst spots in the world (according to your standards). Like I suggested before, just pack your bags and move to some podunk town in Utah or whatever. Philadelphia obviously isn't the place for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia