U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 01:02 PM

10,063 posts, read 5,752,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burger Fan View Post
Oh wow.

There were a lot of issues with the previous theatre in that spot, none of which better seats or more food are going to fix. It's going to be an uphill battle convincing people to attend this one over competing theatres in the area.
That's my reaction. I can get there easily. Will I go? No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 02:22 PM

90 posts, read 95,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burger Fan View Post
Oh wow.

There were a lot of issues with the previous theatre in that spot, none of which better seats or more food are going to fix. It's going to be an uphill battle convincing people to attend this one over competing theatres in the area.
What were the issues? Me and a friend went to a show there in the late 90s with a laptop and one of the theater employees warned us to try to be inconspicuous with the laptop. As if we'd be robbed of it the moment we walked into the showing area, lol. That was the last time I was in there.

Old 05-28-2015, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
That's my reaction. I can get there easily. Will I go? No.
People had many of the same worries for the theater down 40th and Walnut. It could work if they market it right. Either way it's going to make a ton of money in the first few weeks/months.

Old 05-28-2015, 05:20 PM

123 posts, read 141,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyTightWad View Post
People had many of the same worries for the theater down 40th and Walnut. It could work if they market it right. Either way it's going to make a ton of money in the first few weeks/months.
Yeah, not worth putting yourself in danger to see a movie. Idk why if they wanted to put in Upper Darby, they had to put it in the worst part.

Old 05-28-2015, 06:08 PM

233 posts, read 257,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mls128 View Post
Yeah, not worth putting yourself in danger to see a movie. Idk why if they wanted to put in Upper Darby, they had to put it in the worst part.
Probably since 69th st is so accessible.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:03 AM

10,063 posts, read 5,752,936 times
Quote:
LOL. The theater at 40th and Walnut had the University of PA, behind it at least initially. And, yes, I remember some of the worries about it which, because of how quickly UC was gentrification at the exact same time, never materialized into anything.

Sure lots of marketing might work, but it will need a lot of that.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:09 AM

633 posts, read 483,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwanko View Post
Probably since 69th st is so accessible.
This is pretty much a blessing and a curse. That area is SO accessible (the EL terminates there, as do several trolleys and bus lines) that you get a LOT of foot traffic down there pretty much at all hours, much of it undesirable.

The area surrounding the terminal has long been known for nuisance bars and dives (Cheers immediately comes to mind) that are perpetually in the local papers for shootings, stabbings, drug trafficking, and fights. Depending on the act that's playing, the Tower theatre can also spill hundreds of drunk and rowdy people on the street at once looking for something to do.

Anyone with any alternatives or a driver's license will go elsewhere, leaving the crowd who DOES patronize the theatre to be pretty much the same as you'll find in other fine terminal area establishments- loud/talkative, rowdy, drunk, and combative.

Once or twice in that place was enough for me personally, I'd easily drive twice the distance to another theatre to avoid it- and that includes places like the riverview (which doesn't have a stellar reputation either) and the Marple 10 (which didn't upgrade a damn thing in that place for 20 years).

Old 05-29-2015, 10:48 AM

Had no idea 69th St was dangerous. I usually just drive through there on the way to Carib Grill across from the Pathmark. It definitely has a low budget look to it now days with the typical City Blues and wig stores. Here's to hoping that the movie theater will spur some more interesting development on the strip.

Old 05-29-2015, 10:59 AM

6,005 posts, read 5,418,270 times
Quote:
Had no idea 69th St was dangerous. I usually just drive through there on the way to Carib Grill across from the Pathmark. It definitely has a low budget look to it now days with the typical City Blues and wig stores. Here's to hoping that the movie theater will spur some more interesting development on the strip.
I wouldn't say dangerous, but its definitely sketchier and on the ghetto side.

Old 05-29-2015, 12:26 PM

633 posts, read 483,652 times
Quote:
Upper darby as a whole is fine- it's a VERY big area, made up of a lot of neighborhoods that no one would ever consider the least bit dangerous- Westbrook Park, Primos, Secane, Drexel Hill, Drexel Park, etc.

That terminal area though? completely different story. Worked a couple of blocks away from it after college and I have plenty of stories not fit for printing- Hi speed chases, drug activity, prostitution, fistfights, murder, and this was during daylight hours.

edit: this conversation reminded me of a hilarious "review" Philadelphia Weekly wrote about Cheers bar in their "best dive bars" article a few years back:

Quote:
The most interesting thing about Cheers in Upper Darby isn’t the bar itself, but it’s owner, 70-year-old Robert Herdelin. He’s been called a slumlord by Upper Darby Police Superintendent Michael Chitwood, and his bar a “nuisance,” “the worst in the area,” a “pit” and a “shoot ’em up joint for drugs and weapons.” It was raided by police in March of last year, and they walked away with arrests of two known drug dealers and a few underaged drinkers. A week before the raid, a shoot-out between two other drug dealers took place in the restroom of Cheers, leaving one dead from four gunshots, one of which was taken in the back.

Herdelin is nonplussed about this. What’s he supposed to do, check everyone’s pockets for drugs and guns when they walk through the door? He estimates he throws out a drug dealer a week on average already. It’s not his fault the neighborhood has fallen to ****. He lives just above the bar in a tiny, cramped one-bedroom apartment, and has for mostly all of the 27 years he’s owned the bar below it. He’s seen the neighborhood crumble first-hand.

Now here’s the kicker: Herdelin is a millionaire. He owns several big-deal hoity-toity rental properties in various spots on the Jersey Shore, one of which he’s even rented to Oprah for a cool $16,000 a week. That he chooses to live where he does, picking fistfights with drug dealers in a neighborhood he’s already written off and says he’ll soon leave, speaks to his peculiar nature and also the fact that he’s an unabashed spendthrift. It’s why Cheers looks like it might fall down at any moment and why the door to the bathroom stall doesn’t get fixed right away. He would rather hold onto the cash.

Cheers is located, as you may know, just up the street from the Tower Theatre, a venerable venue that’s seen acts as diverse as Willie Nelson, Erykah Badu, David Bowie and Radiohead on its stage. Cheers’ clientele on any given night will generally reflect the crowd that made the trek out to see whoever’s name is on the marquee a half-block up. Not only is it one of the only bars within walking distance of the venue, it’s the only one that has pictures behind the bar of its 70-year-old owner wearing a Speedo flexing his pecks.

Herdelin is one crazy loon—a crazy loon who just slapped Chitwood with a $1.7 million libel lawsuit. If he wins, you best believe he’ll keep the money in a shoebox under his mattress.
Philadelphia's Best Dive Bars | Cover Story | News and Opinion | Philadelphia Weekly

Cheers as a reminder is less than a five minute walk from the front door of where this movie theatre is. Ask yourself again if this is where you'd like to be at 10:00 on a Friday night.

Odds aren't good for the movie theatre spurring development though, since there already WAS one there for over a decade. Not only did it fail to spur development, it did nothing to halt the rapid downward slide of the 69th street corridor and went out of business years ago. I can't imagine what putting another one there would do- I can only imagine it's being entertained at all because the building is already constructed and cheaper than putting a completely new building elsewhere.

Last edited by Burger Fan; 05-29-2015 at 12:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia