U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-29-2015, 03:46 PM
 
Location: Philly
10,001 posts, read 14,349,667 times
Reputation: 2754

Advertisements

Haters gonna hate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-30-2015, 07:07 AM
 
10,077 posts, read 5,757,822 times
Reputation: 3554
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyTightWad View Post
Had no idea 69th St was dangerous. I usually just drive through there on the way to Carib Grill across from the Pathmark. It definitely has a low budget look to it now days with the typical City Blues and wig stores. Here's to hoping that the movie theater will spur some more interesting development on the strip.
It's not dangerous. It just looks terrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2015, 11:52 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
233 posts, read 257,963 times
Reputation: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
It's not dangerous. It just looks terrible.
I wouldn't even say it looks terrible, compared to some other areas. It has very little actual abandonment. I think it looks better than 52nd street, and definitely better than broad and erie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2015, 05:00 PM
 
Location: North Jackson
2,051 posts, read 3,289,036 times
Reputation: 2738
Sheesh! The overreaction about 69th street is amazing. I just did a Google street view, expecting to see abandoned buildings, broken glass, and gang members hanging out. Instead I see a well maintained street of open and viable businesses. Sure those businesses cater to a lower middle class segment, but so what? 69th street was never upscale. I don't understand all the fuss in this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2015, 05:54 PM
 
Location: Midwest
1,277 posts, read 1,862,062 times
Reputation: 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Sheesh! The overreaction about 69th street is amazing. I just did a Google street view, expecting to see abandoned buildings, broken glass, and gang members hanging out. Instead I see a well maintained street of open and viable businesses. Sure those businesses cater to a lower middle class segment, but so what? 69th street was never upscale. I don't understand all the fuss in this thread.
No kidding. Plus you go like a block off of 69th street and there are some really awesome immigrant oriented businesses, more interesting than a great deal of commercial districts within the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2015, 09:50 AM
 
10,077 posts, read 5,757,822 times
Reputation: 3554
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwanko View Post
I wouldn't even say it looks terrible, compared to some other areas. It has very little actual abandonment. I think it looks better than 52nd street, and definitely better than broad and erie.
Hmm... well, there's an old timer, like me, who posted something about how it used to look. I remember those days. Nothing like it now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2015, 10:49 AM
 
90 posts, read 95,328 times
Reputation: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Sheesh! The overreaction about 69th street is amazing. I just did a Google street view, expecting to see abandoned buildings, broken glass, and gang members hanging out. Instead I see a well maintained street of open and viable businesses. Sure those businesses cater to a lower middle class segment, but so what? 69th street was never upscale. I don't understand all the fuss in this thread.
Yea I had no idea that area was "dangerous".

It seems like the majority of threads on this site are about safety and how dangerous neighborhood xyz is. IMO Philadelphia only has a handful of dangerous areas, I think people are either overly caution or suffering from media induced paranoia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2015, 11:12 AM
 
10,077 posts, read 5,757,822 times
Reputation: 3554
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyTightWad View Post
Yea I had no idea that area was "dangerous".

It seems like the majority of threads on this site are about safety and how dangerous neighborhood xyz is. IMO Philadelphia only has a handful of dangerous areas, I think people are either overly caution or suffering from media induced paranoia.
That's right. People watch local TV news and think that the city, or parts of it anyhow, are contantly under seige.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2015, 11:22 AM
 
Location: North Jackson
2,051 posts, read 3,289,036 times
Reputation: 2738
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Hmm... well, there's an old timer, like me, who posted something about how it used to look. I remember those days. Nothing like it now.
I don't know how old of an old timer you are. I was born in the 60s and shopped there with my parents into the early 80s. My memory of how it looked then is faded, but it likely looks better now than it did then. The only part that is worse now is that the department store on the top of the hill is closed. The rest of the street is clean, well maintained, and has decent stores, including Ross and The Children's Place. The terminal is fixed up, and the movie theater that was in the terminal is gone.

I'm not seeing the issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2015, 09:14 AM
 
10,077 posts, read 5,757,822 times
Reputation: 3554
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
I don't know how old of an old timer you are. I was born in the 60s and shopped there with my parents into the early 80s. My memory of how it looked then is faded, but it likely looks better now than it did then. The only part that is worse now is that the department store on the top of the hill is closed. The rest of the street is clean, well maintained, and has decent stores, including Ross and The Children's Place. The terminal is fixed up, and the movie theater that was in the terminal is gone.

I'm not seeing the issue.
I was a teenager in the 60s; I graduated from Haverford High in 1967.

Shopping on 69th St was comparable to shopping in CC in the 50s/60s with real department stores(not Ross!):Lits and, later Gimbels and Penneys).

As far as movie theaters go ,before multi screen theaters, there were three back then: the 69th St(where 7000 bldg is now), the Terminal(inside the current transportation center) with an entrance facing Market St, and the Tower(yes, it used to be a movie theater).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top