Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 04:10 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,213,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Do you think that there wa
s an airport there 100 years ago?
What was nearby 100 years ago? Society Hill,Old City, Independence Hall, Liberty Bell,Old City,Fairmount Park, Ben Franklin Parkway,Art Museum.

For Philadelphias long term health they should have told the early oil barons to take a hike. We need to do better with our city and riverfront.

Instead of smokestacks lets build an accompanying neighborhood like Chestnut Hill on the lower Schuylkill. So maybe in 2015 maybe Philadlephia is one of the richest big cities in the country instead of one of the poorest. And you know what in 2115 Philadlephia is still going to be one of the poorest big cities in large part to that awful toxic infrastructure in SW Philly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 06:49 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,279,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Planners,entrepreneurs, city officials, state officials. Somebody 100 years ago should have had the common sense not to turn 5,000 acres of SW Philly into a toxic wasteland. A couple miles away you had Independence Hall,Liberty Bell,Art Museum and amazing architecture.

Why didnt someone in City Hall say hey these refineries are going to be a black eye on Philadelphia forever.Lets use that land and river for better long term success. Let Palmyra, Marcus Hook and other out of the way , non essential towns monopolize that toxic industry.
Yes too bad it wasn't at least outside the city limits of Philly. At least Chicago had its sulfur stinking Steel Mills and huge petroleum storage Tanks in Northern Indiana. I remember times in the 80s yet. You saw the fiery smokestacks billowing for miles, driving the Interstate on my way to Chicago when I lived there. From PA my hometown, and once near the Mills, it stunk of Sulfur for a few miles to Illinois. Them days are no more. But the city once had the Stock Yards, all gone too.

As for the Delaware River Front of Philly. The past city planners and Industrialist. Could have done a MUCH better job. Preserving much more Riverfront? For Parks and recreation. Even Harbors?

Chicago did not preserve the Chicago River from Industry. But past Industrialist like Montgomery Ward and Marshall Field. FOUGHT to keep the Lakefront from being spoiled by industry and keep the Burnham Lakefront plan of Parks, Harbors and Beaches as PUBLIC LAND. ever since. The cities AWESOME Lakefront is the result. All 26 miles of it, with much of it fill.... to create Parks and have to add the Harbors and Beaches.
PHILLY STILL CAN DO MORE WITH ITS RIVERFRONT ON THE DELAWARE? It should have more Parkland around the Ben Franklin Bridge? That looks so much like the Golden Gate to admire better.

But anyway I can't resist showing some of Chicago's Lakefront. That a Couple Men with a vision and influence FOUGHT TO MAKE A REALITY.

Couple pictures from Airliner Jet

North of Downtown .Chicago Downtown
Chicago Shoreline ..Parkland and Harbor
Attached Thumbnails
Tourism in Philly-chicago-jet-flyover___.jpg   Tourism in Philly-jet-over-chicago_.jpg  

Old 05-07-2015, 07:41 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:
Camden is 8 Sq miles.Has a population of 50,000.

Fort Worth is 350 sq miles. Population of 800,000.

What is a better South Jersey comparison to the secondary city peers such as Fort Worth,Anaheim,Oakland etc?

Camden or South Jersey?
I don't care if you like it or not. I don't like that Camden is used. Cherry Hill can't take the name slot from Camden. It's not a city, it's a township. In most states townships are not even municipalities. In most states townships are unincorporated land. Most states don't have boroughs either. It's cities period.

This thread is about tourism & metro names are not used for tourism purposes. I won't discuss this further.

Old 05-07-2015, 08:14 PM

9,379 posts, read 9,331,923 times
Wasn't a large chunk of refinery land in south philly slated for re-development or at least a feasibility study to see if any type of activity can take place there?

Old 05-08-2015, 06:46 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,756,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
My grandparents also heated with coal.
OT. I remember their coal bin and the coal ashes that got picked up like a trash collection. I also remember real, honest to God, ice boxes. And, wait for it.... gas street lights in W. Philly in the very early 1950s.

Old 05-08-2015, 07:07 AM

Quote:
What was nearby 100 years ago? Society Hill,Old City, Independence Hall, Liberty Bell,Old City,Fairmount Park, Ben Franklin Parkway,Art Museum.

For Philadelphias long term health they should have told the early oil barons to take a hike. We need to do better with our city and riverfront.

Instead of smokestacks lets build an accompanying neighborhood like Chestnut Hill on the lower Schuylkill. So maybe in 2015 maybe Philadlephia is one of the richest big cities in the country instead of one of the poorest. And you know what in 2115 Philadlephia is still going to be one of the poorest big cities in large part to that awful toxic infrastructure in SW Philly.

You have an ASTOUNDING ignorance of when certain things happened in the city.

Neither the Parkway or the Art Museum or the Swann Fountain existed 100 years ago. They all were completed during the 1920s.

What was there? And back further ? Housing for the working, lower-middle classes and factories. Want to know what that housing looked like? Go to 19th St(next to Hallahan HS), between Callowhill and Vine, and you will see one block of it remaining.

Given that big chunks of the city may be under water in 2115, your view of its population then will, likely, be moot.

Old 05-08-2015, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Wasn't a large chunk of refinery land in south philly slated for re-development or at least a feasibility study to see if any type of activity can take place there?
Yes. Penn already owns parts of that land nearby. Particularly off of Grays Ferry Ave.

Old 05-08-2015, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
Yes too bad it wasn't at least outside the city limits of Philly. At least Chicago had its sulfur stinking Steel Mills and huge petroleum storage Tanks in Northern Indiana. I remember times in the 80s yet. You saw the fiery smokestacks billowing for miles, driving the Interstate on my way to Chicago when I lived there. From PA my hometown, and once near the Mills, it stunk of Sulfur for a few miles to Illinois. Them days are no more. But the city once had the Stock Yards, all gone too.

As for the Delaware River Front of Philly. The past city planners and Industrialist. Could have done a MUCH better job. Preserving much more Riverfront? For Parks and recreation. Even Harbors?

Chicago did not preserve the Chicago River from Industry. But past Industrialist like Montgomery Ward and Marshall Field. FOUGHT to keep the Lakefront from being spoiled by industry and keep the Burnham Lakefront plan of Parks, Harbors and Beaches as PUBLIC LAND. ever since. The cities AWESOME Lakefront is the result. All 26 miles of it, with much of it fill.... to create Parks and have to add the Harbors and Beaches.
PHILLY STILL CAN DO MORE WITH ITS RIVERFRONT ON THE DELAWARE? It should have more Parkland around the Ben Franklin Bridge? That looks so much like the Golden Gate to admire better.

But anyway I can't resist showing some of Chicago's Lakefront. That a Couple Men with a vision and influence FOUGHT TO MAKE A REALITY.

Couple pictures from Airliner Jet

North of Downtown .Chicago Downtown
Chicago Shoreline ..Parkland and Harbor
Why do you continue to inject Chigago oriented information in threads ABOUT PHILADELPHIA? WHY? Stop offering your, truly, unwanted "help".

And there was PLENTY of industry OUTSIDE of the Phila. city limits. Chester was a huge industrial center.

Old 05-08-2015, 07:29 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
OT. I remember their coal bin and the coal ashes that got picked up like a trash collection. I also remember real, honest to God, ice boxes. And, wait for it.... gas street lights in W. Philly in the very early 1950s.
I remember the coal bin & watching the coal dust rising when the truck came with the delivery. No icebox memory for me but one set of grandparents had a 1st generation refrigerator that looked like an icebox & both sets of grandparents called the refrigerator the ice box.

No gas light memory for me, but one set of grandparents had one of those candlestick phones with no dial. When you picked up the phone you gave the phone number to the operator who made the connection for you. When the phone company phased out those phones back when you rented the phone from Bell Telephone, my grandmother was excited to get a modern dial phone, but concerned for the welfare of the phone operators.

Old 05-08-2015, 07:48 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,213,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
You have an ASTOUNDING ignorance of when certain things happened in the city.

Neither the Parkway or the Art Museum or the Swann Fountain existed 100 years ago. They all were completed during the 1920s.
Planned over 100 years ago.

Answer the question. Why would anyone develop a toxic industry in their city? A mile or 2, Oh wait I better get this absolutely correct LOL mapquest says 1.26 miles from Univ of Pennsylvania and 2.8 miles from City Hall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01
Given that big chunks of the city may be under water in 2115, your view of its population then will, likely, be moot.
LOL. You dont know what geology changes will happen so stop acting like you do.Stop acting like you are some prognosticator of the future. 100 year passing is microscopic in the grand scheme of time that I doubt you will notice any change in the landscape of Philadelphia. But sadly in 100 years you probably will notice those smokestacks billowing poison onto Philadelphia and nearby SW Philly real estate values continue to be worthless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia