Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 07:58 PM

7 posts, read 24,841 times

Advertisements

I have two ill children who has a progressive disease and get hospitalized for 2 weeks at a time and have multiple doctor visits.
My family (husband & wife with 4 kids age 8,10,12,14) want to live about 30 minutes away from CHOP in PA. We came up for a second opinion in March for two weeks and stayed at CHOP. Then decided we need to be there for better healthcare for them.
We are moving June 4th and will arrive June 6th. We will be living in our 31ft travel trailer at campgrounds all around till my husband finds a job. He has been a 4th grade teacher for 6 years. Before that was a carpet installer for 19 years (does not want to install, to old) He knows its going to be hard to get a teaching position and is told not to teach in Philadelphia because its rough.
So, does anyone have any leads on jobs around 30 minutes away from CHOP. My husband also went through the police academy. Although his heart is into teaching he is willing to take anything that has decent pay to support our large family. I myself am college educated too but have MS and Crohns Disease and do not work but, care for the kids and myself.
We would like to know what cities we should look into so we can commute 30 minutes to CHOP, safe, affordable, and family friendly. What to stay away from.
Our hobbies are camping, beach, theme parks, fishing, dirt biking, target practice.
We are moving from Melbourne Florida.
Thank you for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 11:25 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthenoles View Post
I have two ill children who has a progressive disease and get hospitalized for 2 weeks at a time and have multiple doctor visits.
My family (husband & wife with 4 kids age 8,10,12,14) want to live about 30 minutes away from CHOP in PA. We came up for a second opinion in March for two weeks and stayed at CHOP. Then decided we need to be there for better healthcare for them.
We are moving June 4th and will arrive June 6th. We will be living in our 31ft travel trailer at campgrounds all around till my husband finds a job. He has been a 4th grade teacher for 6 years. Before that was a carpet installer for 19 years (does not want to install, to old) He knows its going to be hard to get a teaching position and is told not to teach in Philadelphia because its rough.
So, does anyone have any leads on jobs around 30 minutes away from CHOP. My husband also went through the police academy. Although his heart is into teaching he is willing to take anything that has decent pay to support our large family. I myself am college educated too but have MS and Crohns Disease and do not work but, care for the kids and myself.
We would like to know what cities we should look into so we can commute 30 minutes to CHOP, safe, affordable, and family friendly. What to stay away from.
Our hobbies are camping, beach, theme parks, fishing, dirt biking, target practice.
We are moving from Melbourne Florida.
Thank you for your help.
Moving with kids & no job is risky at best. Throw out the 30 minutes from CHOP. Your husband should look in Delaware, South Jersey & SE Pennsylvania.

Old 05-13-2015, 03:53 AM

Yes we know but the doctors here say our kid is their sickest kid they have and dont know if he is going to get better. We have to get better healthcare and CHOP is the best for what her has. We have to stay in PA for the kids insurance reasons to go to CHOP.

Old 05-13-2015, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Yes we know but the doctors here say our kid is their sickest kid they have and dont know if he is going to get better. We have to get better healthcare and CHOP is the best for what her has. We have to stay in PA for the kids insurance reasons to go to CHOP.
Let's see, you say you're in Florida. 2 years ago you were looking to be 45 minutes from a hospital in Winston-Salem. Now you want to be 30 minutes from CHOP in an area where 30 minutes gets you less distance. You also want to dictate where a job is? I told you that your husband needs to look in the whole tristate area. You are saying no to that because of insurance?!?

I'm sorry but this isn't adding up. If your husband has been teaching, he would know to apply to every district in the area in April. That's when contracts go out & when the maximum openings exist before colleges pop out new graduates.

You are saying that you can only live & work in Pennsylvania for insurance purposes. I'm not buying that. My sister & her husband taught in South Jersey & their insurance covered taking their kids to CHOP. Now, granted, Southern states pay terrible wages & give worse benefits. If your children are covered by Florida's CHIP, apparently they still covered a visit to CHOP. That is, if you aren't in Winston-Salem using NC CHIP.

This doesn't add up.

Old 05-13-2015, 04:52 PM

Yes two years ago we were going to move there but decided against it. The social worker at CHOP and other CF parents told me that if you live in PA there is a loop hole that every CF get gets Medicaid no matter what the parents income is. So she said its best to live in PA.

Now we drive 1.5 minutes to Orlando for our CF center. I know there is a lot more traffic in Philly area then when we were looking to go to NC. Thats why I said 30 min.

We actually close on our house on Tuesday (sold it)and have everything all set to leave in June when school is out.

I said my husband will do anything just not teaching. But when we were there for a second opinion in March we were told by a few teachers and a principal my husband meet in the airport its way tougher there unless he has a in.

I dont even know why I post on this board because of people like you that are not there to really help but just troll to pick apart every post. Good grief!

Old 05-13-2015, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Yes two years ago we were going to move there but decided against it. The social worker at CHOP and other CF parents told me that if you live in PA there is a loop hole that every CF get gets Medicaid no matter what the parents income is. So she said its best to live in PA.

Now we drive 1.5 minutes to Orlando for our CF center. I know there is a lot more traffic in Philly area then when we were looking to go to NC. Thats why I said 30 min.

We actually close on our house on Tuesday (sold it)and have everything all set to leave in June when school is out.

I said my husband will do anything just not teaching. But when we were there for a second opinion in March we were told by a few teachers and a principal my husband meet in the airport its way tougher there unless he has a in.

I dont even know why I post on this board because of people like you that are not there to really help but just troll to pick apart every post. Good grief!
Ma'am getting a job is rough all over this country except North Dakota. The nearest place that I'm aware of to park a vehicle like what you plan to live in is in Lancaster County. Why wouldn't I think that your post seemed a bit fishy? Whether you plan to live in PA or not doesn't negate my advice that your husband should be looking for work in every district (mostly by town) in South Jersey, Delaware, & SE PA. You shot that down. I didn't. Don't try to say that I didn't try to help you. If you want to call people trolls for trying to help you, I think that you should look in a mirror.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:53 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,156,539 times
Southbound, I was skeptical at first too, but it's entirely possible this is real. And if it is, you are being pretty harsh.

She didn't "shoot you down" when you "tried to help". She just answered that she's been informed that she needs to live in PA. I don't know the rules, but that sounds pretty plausible to me.

OP, on the chance that your husband was able to find a job more easily in Delaware, have you looked into the AI DuPont Hospital for Children in northern Delaware? It's one of the best children's hospitals in the country. There's also a Ronald McDonald House on site to house family for stretches of time.

And your interests jibe more with people in Kent and Sussex Counties in Delaware (more farm country that has a lot of what you list, also closer to the beaches). If PA doesn't work out and the DuPont hospital also has what you need, I would look into Kent County. There are some rapidly growing communities there - I would think it would be easier to find a teaching job there.

But you didn't ask about DE, you asked about PA. I'm not sure what to tell you - I'm sure there are places to park an RV until you get settled, outside of the city. Delaware County (in PA), maybe. You probably aren't going to be able to line up a job without coming here first, plus I think your husband would have to get PA certification to teach (it might just be a matter of a couple of extra courses and a PRAXIS exam, though). If it's really urgent... you might need to just come up here and have husband take any job he can find at first. He might qualify to substitute teach off the bat, but I'm not sure if that's steady enough to support a family. I wish you luck.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallouise View Post
Southbound, I was skeptical at first too, but it's entirely possible this is real. And if it is, you are being pretty harsh.

She didn't "shoot you down" when you "tried to help". She just answered that she's been informed that she needs to live in PA. I don't know the rules, but that sounds pretty plausible to me.

OP, on the chance that your husband was able to find a job more easily in Delaware, have you looked into the AI DuPont Hospital for Children in northern Delaware? It's one of the best children's hospitals in the country. There's also a Ronald McDonald House on site to house family for stretches of time.

And your interests jibe more with people in Kent and Sussex Counties in Delaware (more farm country that has a lot of what you list, also closer to the beaches). If PA doesn't work out and the DuPont hospital also has what you need, I would look into Kent County. There are some rapidly growing communities there - I would think it would be easier to find a teaching job there.

But you didn't ask about DE, you asked about PA. I'm not sure what to tell you - I'm sure there are places to park an RV until you get settled, outside of the city. Delaware County (in PA), maybe. You probably aren't going to be able to line up a job without coming here first, plus I think your husband would have to get PA certification to teach (it might just be a matter of a couple of extra courses and a PRAXIS exam, though). If it's really urgent... you might need to just come up here and have husband take any job he can find at first. He might qualify to substitute teach off the bat, but I'm not sure if that's steady enough to support a family. I wish you luck.
If her husband got a job in any of the 3 states & they lived in Pennsylvania, it wouldn't effect medical care at CHOP. Read the OP's exchange concerning Winston-Salem. Just look at her post history. It takes no effort.

She asked where her husband should look for a job within 30 minutes of CHOP as well as wanting to live in the same distance. Her husband needs to look for a job without a time constraint, unless she doesn't drive & didn't say it. If she doesn't drive they should live near public transportation. She was told in NC to find the job first & she didn't like that one bit so far be it from me to tell her again. There's only 3 places that I know of to park RVs etc that I know of in PA & South Jersey. There must be someplace in Delaware. The closest to CHOP that is set up for families is in Lancaster County.

Last edited by southbound_295; 05-14-2015 at 09:30 AM..

Old 05-14-2015, 08:10 PM

I didnt even ask for a place to park our camper. I have Rv parks lined up that we can go too. They are all over and there is even one in Philadelphia! My husband was laid off years ago and tried to get a job not living in the state and in both job interviews where he was brought back for a second interview was told afterwards that they hired someone local. So this time we are just taking a leap of faith and going to get a job when we are up there.
He applied for the PA teaching certificate. We only want to go to CHOP. It is the #1 children's pulmonary hospital. He is willing to sub but thats not that much money. He is willing to work for the city, security at a hospital, etc just thought maybe someone would be more help then just applying like the 100's of others.
We have been wanting to move for years hence the other post. Now since our son is really ill we are now going for it.
I will have to drive sometimes twice a week to CHOP for doctor appointments so thats why I dont want to live far away. Years ago my child was not as sick so the appointments were not as much. I dont even know why I have to explain and defend myself. I actually and not coming back to this post or post again since people like you have nothing other to do in your life than live on this board and read everyone's back post then post and you can tell by your history thats what you probably do. Good riddance!

Old 05-14-2015, 10:01 PM

2,048 posts, read 2,156,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Read the OP's exchange concerning Winston-Salem. Just look at her post history. It takes no effort.
I did read it, before I ever chimed in. You're right, it took no effort. And...I find it entirely believable that she was interested in moving to one town two years ago, and that things have changed and they now have their sights set on Philly. Every thing else she said 2 years ago fits with what she's saying now. If anything, it made me less skeptical.

In case OP changes her mind and comes back: sorry it went down this way, and I hope things work out for you and your family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia