Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 07:11 AM

6 posts, read 5,010 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be a freshman at Temple in the fall. I live in bowie md right now and I've never been to philadelphia so I know nothing about the place. I paid my deposit on the very last day (I know, stupid) so I had to wait a while before I could register for housing. Unfortunately, there's only one spot available and its for a male roommate so I've got nothing. I don't really trust that there will be spots opening up in the coming weeks so I'm looking elsewhere.

Apparently the areas where the off campus apartments are is horrible, so I'm thinking about other areas. I know people say center city's the best but I can't afford that. What would be a good area to live in for someone like me? I'd like to be close to a subway or something so i can get to school but that might not be necessary if I get a car. Some background on my "sketchy threshold": I've lived in NE DC. That's really not the nicest area of DC but it isn't the worst either. It's a little sketchy, but I've always felt comfortable. I've been to baltimore at night and I hated it. Worst place ever if you ask me.

Last edited by ellaigwe; 05-22-2015 at 08:01 AM.. Reason: Typos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 08:14 AM

233 posts, read 334,028 times
I have friends who live off campus (around like 17th and berks). I wouldn't call it horrible. The sketchiness does increase the further west you go from broad, and I would say the area near Susquehanna-Dauphin station seems worse off than around Cecil b. Moore. I would suggest visiting the area near campus before you rule it out entirely, if possible.

That being said, south philly might fit your needs. I know temple students who live there as well and if you live by a subway station it's a super easy commute. There are some parts of south philly considered sketchy but they are relatively limited. Someone who lives down there could probably advise you about specific blocks.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thwanko View Post
That being said, south philly might fit your needs. I know temple students who live there as well and if you live by a subway station it's a super easy commute. There are some parts of south philly considered sketchy but they are relatively limited. Someone who lives down there could probably advise you about specific blocks.
How safe is that area?

Old 05-22-2015, 08:46 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,155,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellaigwe View Post
I've been to baltimore at night and I hated it. Worst place ever if you ask me.
I'm sorry you got that impression. I spent 4 years in Baltimore as a student and had nothing bad happen to me (this was in a nice city neighborhood closely bordered by poorer neighborhoods). I think Baltimore is a beautiful town and I still visit frequently.

I think Philly is also a beautiful town, but you should be prepared for the fact that it does have more in common with Baltimore than not (to be sure: it is in better shape right now). I hope you give Philly more of a chance, even if you see some rough areas at first.

You'll be okay. And chances might be better than you think that a spot will open up. Sometimes incoming students decide against college at the last minute, or drop out after the first week. You should talk to the student affairs office about what your chances are of getting a room. Or maybe you already have and they're telling you to look elsewhere. A lot could happen between now and August.

I wish for you that something opens up, because dorm life, while often not ideal, makes for an easier start to college. You shouldn't have to worry about things like paying an electricity bill and finding your own furniture at your age. (But if that's the only choice, you can do it). Good luck. I really have a feeling you won't need to find off campus housing, but it's smart of you to research the neighborhoods now.

Last edited by Mimidae; 05-22-2015 at 08:55 AM..

Old 05-22-2015, 08:48 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
What is wrong with a male roommate? If that is the only available spot that you can afford I see no reason to pass it up.

Even "safe" gated communities have crime hence the latest news story about a family who was murdered in their home in a "safe" neighborhood.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:49 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,155,750 times
As a college freshman, in a dormitory? It's probably not even allowed.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
What is wrong with a male roommate? If that is the only available spot that you can afford I see no reason to pass it up.

Even "safe" gated communities have crime hence the latest news story about a family who was murdered in their home in a "safe" neighborhood.
I don't mean I'd have to have a male roommate. I mean I'd need to be male to get the room.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallouise View Post
I'm sorry you got that impression. I spent 4 years in Baltimore as a student and had nothing bad happen to me (this was in a nice city neighborhood closely bordered by poorer neighborhoods). I think Baltimore is a beautiful town and I still visit frequently.

I think Philly is also a beautiful town, but you should be prepared for the fact that it does have more in common with Baltimore than not (to be sure: it is in better shape right now). I hope you give Philly more of a chance, even if you see some rough areas at first.

You'll be okay. And chances might be better than you think that a spot will open up. Sometimes incoming students decide against college at the last minute, or drop out after the first week. You should talk to the student affairs office about what your chances are of getting a room. Or maybe you already have and they're telling you to look elsewhere. A lot could happen between now and August.

I wish for you that something opens up, because dorm life, while often not ideal, makes for an easier start to college. You shouldn't have to worry about things like paying an electricity bill and finding your own furniture at your age. (But if that's the only choice, you can do it). Good luck. I really have a feeling you won't need to find off campus housing, but it's smart of you to research the neighborhoods now.
I think you might be right. Apparently I can still sign up to be put in a living learning community. I don't know what will come of that though. Baltimore's alright during the day I guess, but idk I've always gotten a bad feeling about that place.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:35 AM

90 posts, read 130,392 times
The area around Temple is somewhat like SE DC or Capital Heights MD
Honestly I don't think it's so bad that you can't live around there.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:50 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,514,664 times
I lived around temple for years. I personally never had anything bad happen to me. However, if you are a freshman without zero knowledge of the city I highly recommend living on campus. If a dorm really isn't an option than I would check the apartment towers adjacent to campus. The Edge, University Village, The View at Montgomery, Kardon Atlantic, Oxford Village, etc. All these places are secure and well maintained and less than a few blocks away from campus. To dive right into a rowhouse in north philly when your only 18 is a task not many are mature enough to handle.

Tips on living around Temple: Avoid walking after 10pm as much as possible(especially by yourself after you have had a few drinks). Always take the main streets while walking, avoid the little alley streets that aren't well lit. Eat at the food trucks because their great. Get involved in a club or something, meet your neighbors, take the subway to center city/south philly, walk to university city feel apart of philly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia