Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2008, 04:32 PM

1 posts, read 5,678 times

Advertisements

Hi - My husband & I are looking to move to Chester County. We just saw a beautiful home in Landenberg, but it's next to some type of mushroom processing center. It didn't smell today, but I know they can be bad. Can someone please explain exactly HOW bad it is? Does the smell last 24/7, or is it like someone else said - that it can last for an hour or so, but then goes away? I wouldn't want to smell it all the time, but sometimes would be ok I guess. My husband would be commuting to Newark DE every day... we're open to other areas but aren't sure where to look. We're hoping for a 3-4 bedroom home, about an acre of land, for about $300K. We don't have kids yet but hope to start a family soon, so schools are important. Oh, and we do not want "new construction." Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 12:58 PM

40 posts, read 141,377 times
We used to live in Montgomery County, they have some beautiful homes, and I think the crime rate was better there than Chester. I know the mushroom places can smell pretty bad, but I don't know if it is contant or only some times. Good luck!

Old 01-24-2008, 02:10 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times
We lived about two miles from a mushroom farm in Delaware county and it would smell quite often in the summer and I was always glad that we didn't live any closer. I don't know what made some days worse than others, maybe when they turn over the soil? I would not want to live next to it and I do think it would hurt re-sale value.

Since mushroom soil is primarily horse manure, you know it's got to smell pretty bad. That said, I understand that many operations really do work to control the smell so I would investigate carefully and maybe it would be okay. Just do a google search with the keywords, Pennsylvania mushroom farm smells and you'll see some interesting articles - not all bad!

Old 02-17-2008, 08:09 AM

22 posts, read 122,178 times
Default Landenberg

Lived there for 13 years on South Bank Rd far from the mushroom STENCH.
You do NOT want to be anywhere near any mushroom operation. You will regret it most days. Depending on wind conditions, some days you might not smell it, but MOST of the time you KNOW it's there. Even driving through the area can be disgusting in concentrated zones like Toughkenamon along Newark Rd, Elllicott Rd, Starr Rd and Penn Green Rd north of Egypt Run.

Avon Grove School District is pretty good BUT, taxes are HIGH due to lack of industry. You can check out the tax tables at "http://dsf.chesco.org" , the Official Chester County website.

Good Luck!

Old 07-10-2012, 07:47 PM

1 posts, read 3,338 times
We are looking to move into the landenberg area as well. What are the real differences between Kennett High and Avon Grove?

Old 07-10-2012, 08:41 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times
You may want to start a new thread. This one is over four years old.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia