Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 06:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,278 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone-

My wife and I are moving from the suburbs of Boston to PA at the end of June for my new job. I will be working in Newark, DE and she will be working in Malvern, PA. We are looking for recommendations for safe and affordable towns/areas/complexes that would allow us to be somewhat in the middle of our commutes. We are looking to rent right now. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot,

JM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 09:39 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,205,915 times
Concord Township,Glen Mills,Chadds Ford,Concordville, West Chester,West Goshen is pretty equidistant, little closer to Malvern. Nice areas.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:29 PM

434 posts, read 1,312,086 times
You have a lot of options. Is there a town in MA you're trying to replicate in PA? What is important to you in a community?

You might want to try answering the sticky questions here:
Questions For Future and Potential Residents and general information.

Old 05-27-2015, 10:20 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,180,330 times
What rainrock said. Both you and your wife would be able to easily hop on Route 202 for work (she'd go north, you'd go south).

Old 05-27-2015, 11:24 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,166,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
What rainrock said. Both you and your wife would be able to easily hop on Route 202 for work (she'd go north, you'd go south).
202 is single lane in some sections and traffic is a nightmare during rush hours and when he finally gets to I-95, he'll really be in the soup. I might suggest a commuter rail commute to both Malvern and Newark. SEPTA R2 goes to the end of the line in Newark and R5 passes through Malvern. Darby, Prospect Park or Glenolden would be good choices for rail commuting. But the OP should really think about staying in the Boston burbs. The Philly burbs will be a letdown.

Old 05-27-2015, 11:41 AM

7,268 posts, read 10,579,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
202 is single lane in some sections and traffic is a nightmare during rush hours and when he finally gets to I-95, he'll really be in the soup. I might suggest a commuter rail commute to both Malvern and Newark. SEPTA R2 goes to the end of the line in Newark and R5 passes through Malvern. Darby, Prospect Park or Glenolden would be good choices for rail commuting. But the OP should really think about staying in the Boston burbs. The Philly burbs will be a letdown.
The Philadelphia suburbs are easily among the most desirable in the US. Boston has many fantastic suburban towns for sure, but there many similarly great towns are Philly that I'm sure the OP will find desirable and honestly not that dissimilar.

I'd look into Media/Newtown Square/Chadds Ford for something relatively equidistant. Just a note--much of that area feels more remote/bucolic, which is pleasant to many people, but not everyone appreciates that sort of environment for day-to-day living. The Media area would be closer to the urban side of things, with more concentrated amenities. Good luck!

Old 05-27-2015, 12:53 PM

1,119 posts, read 1,462,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
The Philadelphia suburbs are easily among the most desirable in the US. Boston has many fantastic suburban towns for sure, but there many similarly great towns are Philly that I'm sure the OP will find desirable and honestly not that dissimilar.
Yeah, I don't know why anyone would dis the Philly suburbs, given their variety and generally decent access to Center City. The only thing that'll likely put a damper on the OP's experience here is the collective household commuting time. Maybe it'll be the same as their experience in Boston, but wow, what a lot of time in the car (variable time at that - you could cruise to work or get mired in traffic).

Just noticed this: OP's moving in a month and is only ramping up location searching now?? Define optimist.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:25 PM

90 posts, read 130,162 times
202 is a nightmare. I'd suggest something like Havertown. I worked in Newark DE for 3 yrs, it's 40 miles one way using the blue route to I95-S but very little traffic most days. Getting to Malvern will be more tricky since 76 is a nightmare, when I worked there I drove up West Chester Pike to Goshen Street area (or whatever it's called) and drove through the residential area to my corporate complex from there.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:48 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,088,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
202 is at least two lanes anywhere and everywhere from south of Norristown all the way down to the I95 interchange in DE. Funny that someone who hates SEPTA would recommend a town with a regional rail stop. Wells usually posts something negative and then leaves a thread. I doubt you would be let down if you moved here from suburban Boston. Any of Rainrock's suggestions are good, location-wise, and school district-wise, but they are exurban areas.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:53 PM

1,524 posts, read 1,180,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyTightWad View Post
202 is a nightmare. I'd suggest something like Havertown. I worked in Newark DE for 3 yrs, it's 40 miles one way using the blue route to I95-S but very little traffic most days. Getting to Malvern will be more tricky since 76 is a nightmare, when I worked there I drove up West Chester Pike to Goshen Street area (or whatever it's called) and drove through the residential area to my corporate complex from there.
I live in Havertown and work in Malvern. No need to get on any highway. In fact, no good way to get on a highway between the two towns. Darby Road to 320 to Goshen Road to 252 to Lancaster Avenue in Paoli/Malvern area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia