Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 03:24 PM

3 posts, read 3,858 times

Advertisements

When are you moving? three weeks!
Where are you coming from? Morgantown, WV (but that doesn't mean I like places like that, haha)
Why are you moving? relocating; just got master's in comm; boyfriend's family in plymouth meeting
Where will you be working? possibly the navy yard, not quite sure.
Have you been here yet? once

Will you buy or rent? rent
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? any; up to $1600
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? walk up, but anything dog friendly, really

Do you have a preference of living in a NJ or PA suburb? PA

Are you married or single? Do you have children? In a relationship - I'm 23, and he is 27 (not really the bar scene type 20 year olds, so maybe think of us as in our 40's, haha)
Do you have pets? yes, a boxer
Do you want or need a yard? preferable, but as long as there are parks around, that would be great
Are you keeping a car? We have two, yes.
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? This part is most important. I have been looking around at places like West Chester and Media, because we want to be close to the city, but want a safe area where we can walk around to different restaurants and shops. Something clean and relatively calm, but still quirky, would be ideal.

What do you want to be closest to?

Shopping
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
Restaurants
(definitely not bars and such)

So essentially, we are 20-somethings that do not like the bar scene, have a dog, and are planning to acquire jobs in the Philly area. I know it is important to know where we will be working, but his job is quite flexible in that sense, and I am still working on flexing my Master's degree muscles. We really like walking around, shopping, and eating, just like the stereotypical American. We want to live in a safe, modernized but relatively quiet area that we can walk our dog. We will be renting an apartment. I have scoured these forums, and just want a more personalized opinion! Places we have in mind: Conshohocken (seems a little run down in some areas? overall nice, but want options to walk to things/stores), Manayunk (maybe a little too bustling for our taste. The main street has cute things, but otherwise the apartments are too on top of each other), Chestnut Hill (great, but expensive), West Chester (exactly what we want, but a little far out), Media (great but having issues finding apartments), and King of Prussia (also a little far and commercial, but nice). Would living closer to the city be too busy for us, such as Fairmount? I realize my list of wants is hefty, but I'm just trying to weigh my options and pick the best one. Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 04:07 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethonce View Post
When are you moving? three weeks!
Where are you coming from? Morgantown, WV (but that doesn't mean I like places like that, haha)
Why are you moving? relocating; just got master's in comm; boyfriend's family in plymouth meeting
Where will you be working? possibly the navy yard, not quite sure.
Have you been here yet? once

Will you buy or rent? rent
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? any; up to $1600
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? walk up, but anything dog friendly, really

Do you have a preference of living in a NJ or PA suburb? PA

Are you married or single? Do you have children? In a relationship - I'm 23, and he is 27 (not really the bar scene type 20 year olds, so maybe think of us as in our 40's, haha)
Do you have pets? yes, a boxer
Do you want or need a yard? preferable, but as long as there are parks around, that would be great
Are you keeping a car? We have two, yes.
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? This part is most important. I have been looking around at places like West Chester and Media, because we want to be close to the city, but want a safe area where we can walk around to different restaurants and shops. Something clean and relatively calm, but still quirky, would be ideal.

What do you want to be closest to?

Shopping
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
Restaurants
(definitely not bars and such)

So essentially, we are 20-somethings that do not like the bar scene, have a dog, and are planning to acquire jobs in the Philly area. I know it is important to know where we will be working, but his job is quite flexible in that sense, and I am still working on flexing my Master's degree muscles. We really like walking around, shopping, and eating, just like the stereotypical American. We want to live in a safe, modernized but relatively quiet area that we can walk our dog. We will be renting an apartment. I have scoured these forums, and just want a more personalized opinion! Places we have in mind: Conshohocken (seems a little run down in some areas? overall nice, but want options to walk to things/stores), Manayunk (maybe a little too bustling for our taste. The main street has cute things, but otherwise the apartments are too on top of each other), Chestnut Hill (great, but expensive), West Chester (exactly what we want, but a little far out), Media (great but having issues finding apartments), and King of Prussia (also a little far and commercial, but nice). Would living closer to the city be too busy for us, such as Fairmount? I realize my list of wants is hefty, but I'm just trying to weigh my options and pick the best one. Thanks in advance
Firstly, Manayunk, Chestnut Hill and Fairmount are neighborhoods within the city limits of Philadelphia.

I live near Fairmount. It has what you seem to want wrt amenities, has people your age, is close enough to Center City that you can walk there but is quieter, overall.

Old 07-13-2015, 04:13 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,524,481 times
What about Roxborough? More suburby than Manayunk and just up the hill so you'd still be close to have access to Manayunk if you want. I'd also look at Fishtown for the quirky aspect as it definitely leans that direction and if you're not on the main drags it's fairly calm.

Old 07-13-2015, 04:25 PM

Oh, showing my newbie stripes. Thank you for clarifying, kyb01. I will definitely consider Fairmount, now. And Becca8377, thanks for the suggestion of Fishtown! Are Fishtown and Roxborough relatively safe? I remember driving through some areas near Roxborough that seemed sketchy, but maybe my memory is off.

Old 07-13-2015, 05:27 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,230,755 times
Fishtown and Roxborough are both relatively safe from what I hear. I would also recommend East Falls, which is in Northwest Philly. It has some of the same characteristics of Roxborough and Manayunk, but it is a little more intimate. Plus, if you do feel like heading to Manayunk, Conshy, or Center City for a night of fun and/or dining, East Falls has a station on the Manayunk/Norristown Line that will take you in either direction.

In Delaware County, Media is probably the best option for your price range. Wayne and other Main Line towns are very walkable and have excellent downtown areas, but the Main Line is as expensive (and in some cases, beyond as expensive) as Chestnut Hill. Media is considered to be the only true American downtown since the Route 101 trolley runs along Orange Street. Media also has a stop on the Media/Elwyn Regional Rail line. Finding a rental here can be difficult, but it's so worth it. You can keep your cars, have a yard, there's easy access to Center City via car (I-476 to I-76 or I-95, or Baltimore Pike to Baltimore Avenue in University City) or public transit (Route 101 (trolley) or 110 (bus) to the Market-Frankrord Line or the Media/Elwyn Line), and there are parks nearby. I have been living in Delaware County for about 12 of my 19 years of life, so I have been to Media quite a few times. I just stopped by today, in fact.

Old 07-13-2015, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
Fishtown and Roxborough are both relatively safe from what I hear. I would also recommend East Falls, which is in Northwest Philly. It has some of the same characteristics of Roxborough and Manayunk, but it is a little more intimate. Plus, if you do feel like heading to Manayunk, Conshy, or Center City for a night of fun and/or dining, East Falls has a station on the Manayunk/Norristown Line that will take you in either direction.

In Delaware County, Media is probably the best option for your price range. Wayne and other Main Line towns are very walkable and have excellent downtown areas, but the Main Line is as expensive (and in some cases, beyond as expensive) as Chestnut Hill. Media is considered to be the only true American downtown since the Route 101 trolley runs along Orange Street. Media also has a stop on the Media/Elwyn Regional Rail line. Finding a rental here can be difficult, but it's so worth it. You can keep your cars, have a yard, there's easy access to Center City via car (I-476 to I-76 or I-95, or Baltimore Pike to Baltimore Avenue in University City) or public transit (Route 101 (trolley) or 110 (bus) to the Market-Frankrord Line or the Media/Elwyn Line), and there are parks nearby. I have been living in Delaware County for about 12 of my 19 years of life, so I have been to Media quite a few times. I just stopped by today, in fact.
This comment was awesome, thank you. I've just been attempting to search for Main Line apartments, and I see what you mean! Narberth sounds perfect, though, if I could find something. I am also having trouble finding places in Media. I guess that's a hint that they are worth searching for, though? My top choices as of now are Media and Narberth, I suppose. If anyone has tips or tricks for finding apartments in those areas, I am all ears..eyes...!

Old 07-13-2015, 05:55 PM

Oh yeah, Roxborough and Fishtown are both generally safe. Fishtown tends to be a little more block-by-block but nothing horrible. And yes, agree with PP on East Falls as well which is also on the Manayunk/Norristown regional rail line. Roxborough isn't served by the rail, but the bus goes down Ridge Ave and you can always catch the train at Wissahickon if needed.

I'd also add Ardmore to your Main Line towns list

Old 07-13-2015, 07:45 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,230,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethonce View Post
This comment was awesome, thank you. I've just been attempting to search for Main Line apartments, and I see what you mean! Narberth sounds perfect, though, if I could find something. I am also having trouble finding places in Media. I guess that's a hint that they are worth searching for, though? My top choices as of now are Media and Narberth, I suppose. If anyone has tips or tricks for finding apartments in those areas, I am all ears..eyes...!
No problem!

I don't know why I forgot to mention Narbeth. It is very beautiful, has a traditional downtown, and is accessible by car (Lancaster Pike (U.S. 30) to Lancaster Avenue in Overbrook/West Philly/University City) or by the Paoli/Thorndale Line. I also believe that the Route 103 bus heads this way, but I'm not exactly sure. Regardless, Narbeth is very accessible and walkable.

Becca8377's suggestion of Ardmore is also a great one. Generally, when looking for walkable communities in Delaware County (Delco to locals like me), I generally advise that you stay north of Baltimore Pike. Southwest Delco (Chester, Marcus Hook, Eddystone, etc.) generally won't have what you are looking for. The only exception to this is Swarthmore. Swarthmore has an excellent downtown by Southwest Delco standards due to the presence of Swarthmore College. It is also accessible via the Media/Elwyn Line.

I wish that I could give you apartment finding tips, but I have never searched for an apartment in my life! I'm still in college and lived with my mom before

Old 07-14-2015, 06:42 AM

My favorite site to use for apartments is Hotpads. It pulls from all the listing sites and puts it on a map for you. It's especially helpful if you're trying to find a place near certain things. I found my rowhome on there. Main Line towns will be more on the expensive side, but $1600 should get you something. I had been looking at Ardmore in addition to Manayunk, but it was much more out of my pricerange than Manayunk was.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 07-14-2015 at 07:40 AM.. Reason: removed real estate link

Old 07-14-2015, 07:02 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,154,462 times
Fishtown is very urban. I just don't know that someone who holds Media and West Chester as their ideal is going to want to live in Fishtown. I like city living more than a West Chester kind of scene, but even I have reservations about Fishtown's lack of trees and greenery.

Roxborough was a good suggestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia