Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 09:02 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,393,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
Jenkintown is a former reading suburb
WHAT?!

Yeah, how about I walk from the Outback in Jenkintown to the Berkshire Mall in Wyomissing, or BMW dealership in Shillington?

Anyway, my use of "Main Line" has nothing to do with railroads. I was using it to mean "status".

Someone please answer another question for me: why is the Paoli-Thorndale Line not called the Philadelphia-Thorndale line? Or the Overbrook-Thorndale Line?

Anyway, since we're on the subject of 611 being the road to NYC, believe it or not there are two totally different places called "Abington" that 611 runs through. One is next to Jenkintown but the other is next to Clarks Summit, a suburb of Scranton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 10:07 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,063,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motownewave View Post
WHAT?!
He meant Reading Railroad.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:12 PM

12,000 posts, read 12,853,256 times
No, it's not Main Line at heart. If you are talking about affluence-no, Jenkintown always struck me as a relatively working class suburb.

Old 07-15-2015, 06:58 AM

9,340 posts, read 9,204,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwanko View Post
I would add Bala Cynwyd and Gladwyne, which are technically not on the Main Line.
I think Gladwyne would be considered the heart of the Main Line. Bala is on the edge, but still on the Main Line.

Old 07-15-2015, 07:23 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,664,916 times
You seem to have a lot of questions.

Quote:
WHAT?!

Yeah, how about I walk from the Outback in Jenkintown to the Berkshire Mall in Wyomissing, or BMW dealership in Shillington?

See obvious answer above

Anyway, my use of "Main Line" has nothing to do with railroads. I was using it to mean "status".

The term itself is directly related to the railroad, so it is natural to make that connection

Someone please answer another question for me: why is the Paoli-Thorndale Line not called the Philadelphia-Thorndale line? Or the Overbrook-Thorndale Line?

For the same reason there isn't a Philadelphia-West Trenton line or Philadelphia-Norristown line - the name of the line refers to the destination, not the origin, and since all the lines originate in the same place it would get pretty repetitive; Paoli and Thorndale are two different destinations - some trains terminate at Paoli, some at Thorndale - same thing on the Lansdale-Doylestown line

Anyway, since we're on the subject of 611 being the road to NYC, believe it or not there are two totally different places called "Abington" that 611 runs through. One is next to Jenkintown but the other is next to Clarks Summit, a suburb of Scranton.

Old 07-15-2015, 06:20 PM

I apologize for being kind of an ignoramus about the Reading Railroad. As for Bala Cynwyd, I have quite the story for you folks: I had breakfast at the brand new Perkins there this past Monday (they have free pie on Monday!) and ran into a panhandler in the parking lot. Over many years of eating at the IHOP that used to be in this building, I never had such trouble before. Unfortunately, I highly suspect the beggar was planning to spend donations on booze at the PLCB store upstairs from Perkins.

Seems like most IHOP/Perkins customers at this site are city residents from across the street, but the restaurant is most certainly in Bala Cynwyd/Lower Merion Township.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:03 PM

233 posts, read 331,676 times
Quote:
I apologize for being kind of an ignoramus about the Reading Railroad. As for Bala Cynwyd, I have quite the story for you folks: I had breakfast at the brand new Perkins there this past Monday (they have free pie on Monday!) and ran into a panhandler in the parking lot. Over many years of eating at the IHOP that used to be in this building, I never had such trouble before. Unfortunately, I highly suspect the beggar was planning to spend donations on booze at the PLCB store upstairs from Perkins.

Seems like most IHOP/Perkins customers at this site are city residents from across the street, but the restaurant is most certainly in Bala Cynwyd/Lower Merion Township.
I've been panhandled plenty of times on City Line, mostly in the parking lot of Bala Cynwyd shopping center.

Quote:
I don't think this is a good way of looking at it, imo the Main Line refers to a specific geographic area, that has those connotations of affluence and prestige. However, being affluent and prestigious does not mean that a town is on the Main Line, and not being affluent/prestigious does not mean a town isn't (historically, Narberth was less affluent than its neighbors, but it was always on the Main Line).

It is the same way that while Camden may be synonymous with poverty, and Nicetown may be a poor neighborhood, Nicetown is not part of Camden.

Last edited by thwanko; 07-15-2015 at 08:16 PM..

Old 07-15-2015, 09:49 PM

Does the panhandling stop as soon as you go further west into the Main Line?

Also, what neighbors were more desirable than Narberth? I can't imagine Ardmore being richer because there definitely is a yucky section of Ardmore.

Old 07-16-2015, 07:30 AM

9,340 posts, read 9,204,589 times
Quote:

Also, what neighbors were more desirable than Narberth? I can't imagine Ardmore being richer because there definitely is a yucky section of Ardmore.
Didn't you used to live in Gladwyne? You should be familiar enough with the area to know that..

Old 07-16-2015, 08:18 AM

233 posts, read 331,676 times
Quote:
Yes, I don't think I've ever been panhandled further into Lower Merion.

Quote:
Check out these maps: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...ml?ref=us&_r=0

In 1970, Narberth was clearly visible as a (relatively) lower income donut hole in the main line, comparable to South Ardmore (I assume this is the "yucky" part you're talking about, although I think that is an overstatement). This difference had disappeared by 2007.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia