Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 11:11 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,524,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ambitious View Post
Not trying to hijack the thread, just have a couple of questions as I'll be visiting in September. I'm only staying from Friday to Monday morning. Are any of the tourist attractions open on the weekends (liberty bell, museums, philly zoo, independence hall)? I really don't want to rent a car and I will be staying in center city, so is there a train going from the airport to center city? It looks like a lot my nightlife questions have been covered above. I guess I'll ask questions on restaurants when I arrive.
Yes, the attractions are all open. Visit Philly should have the specific hours posted or you can just Google - Things to Do in Philadelphia — visitphilly.com

Yes, the Airport Line goes from the airport to Center City - SEPTA | Regional Rail Schedules
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2015, 11:15 AM

574 posts, read 688,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
Yes, the attractions are all open. Visit Philly should have the specific hours posted or you can just Google - Things to Do in Philadelphia — visitphilly.com

Yes, the Airport Line goes from the airport to Center City - SEPTA | Regional Rail Schedules

Thanks Becca!

Old 07-20-2015, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ambitious View Post
Thanks Becca!
No problem! What dates are you coming? Make sure it's not the 25-28

Old 07-20-2015, 12:40 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,747,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post

I have been out to straight and gay venues all over Philly, and the Gayborhood by far is the most fun and exciting place to be on a Thursday-Saturday night if you enjoy drinking and dancing. A lot of straight people (especially women) like to frequent the Gayborhood bars and clubs just because of the livelier atmosphere.
Makes me glad that things are much, much better in Gayborhood these days.

Old 07-20-2015, 03:04 PM

574 posts, read 688,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
No problem! What dates are you coming? Make sure it's not the 25-28
The 10th or the 17th, I'm going to miss the Made in America festival but there's so much to do in Philly that it won't matter. That site was very helpful and I now have an extensive list of places to visit. Also the city pass is a great deal! Thanks again.

Old 07-20-2015, 08:16 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,230,514 times
Thank you for all the great info everyone! This has helped me so much. I might just get all dressed up and party at Rumor like I did in Paris, or I may go to a place in the Gayborhood. I have had nothing but good experiences with gay clubs as a straight male, as they seem to be places where people can be themselves and forego judging others. I will also check out the 700 Club in NoLibs. Something else that I MUST do while here is check out Spruce Street Harbor Park. I have yet to visit that place, but it looks amazing!

Old 07-21-2015, 07:17 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,317,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Makes me glad that things are much, much better in Gayborhood these days.
I don't know if your aware, but Frankie Bradleys opened in the old Sisters space.

Old 07-21-2015, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
Thank you for all the great info everyone! This has helped me so much. I might just get all dressed up and party at Rumor like I did in Paris, or I may go to a place in the Gayborhood. I have had nothing but good experiences with gay clubs as a straight male, as they seem to be places where people can be themselves and forego judging others. I will also check out the 700 Club in NoLibs. Something else that I MUST do while here is check out Spruce Street Harbor Park. I have yet to visit that place, but it looks amazing!
Have fun! SSHP is awesome, especially this year since they added so much more to it.

Old 07-21-2015, 07:52 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,747,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I don't know if your aware, but Frankie Bradleys opened in the old Sisters space.
Yes, I'm aware of it. Everything old is new again wrt Frankie Bradleys.

Old 08-01-2015, 12:58 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,230,514 times
To everyone who helped me out on this thread, thank you SO much! I actually did go out last night. I didn't stay up all night as I realized that I would be in Chester at 4 AM according to my plan to get back home. Plus, I didn't have a crew to go and party with. I did, however, stay past midnight. I learned a few things along the way:

-I took a railfanning trip to Chestnut Hill. I took the CHW to CH and the CHE back to Philly. CH along Germantown Avenue is very quaint and looks cool. I didn't have a chance to explore it fully, but I'll have to check it out at some point.

-I took the CHE to 30th Street Station to see if there was nightlife in University City. I walked along Market Street until I reached 34th Street. There wasn't much going on. Was I in the wrong area, or is the area more lively during the semester at Penn and Drexel (and to a lesser extent, USciences)?

-I took the MFL to Girard to explore Fishtown. Fishtown definitely has an exciting vibe to it! I walked along Girard Avenue to see lively bars, outdoor seating, and young people having fun. I might just consider Fishtown when I move to Philly after college.

-I then took the MFL to Spring Garden. After getting off and walking along Spring Garden, I made a right onto Columbus Boulevard. I didn't realize how exciting the nightlife is over there! Between Spring Garden and the Ben Franklin Bridge, there was so much life. Soundgarden Hall had something going on, there was something happening at Festival Pier, and Morgan's Pier and Dave and Buster's also seemed exciting.

-I walked from Race to 2nd Street. I then walked to South Street. As usual, South Street was brimming with life. I ordered from Lorenzo's and walked up 5th Street.

-There was a ton of life around 5th and Chestnut. 5th and Market had things going on too.

-My ride back to Elwyn was sort of ruined because I had to sit next to a bunch of bros who wouldn't shut up!

...I still haven't had the chance to go to SSHP. I'll either try to do it next Friday (I go back to college next Sunday), or I'll try to stay with one of my Temple friends for a weekend during the semester. The latter is a way in which I can definitely stay out all night.

Thanks again to everyone who helped me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia