Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 12:26 PM

633 posts, read 640,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I think it is more vital for Philadelphia at this time to cap 676 and I95 through Center City.

While our subway system is not far reaching, our regional rails are, and neither are anywhere near capacity.
I believe they're going to be adding "double decker" train cars to the regional rail which will allow them to add capacity without a whole lot of extra cost. I understand this isn't feasible for the MFL/BSL though.

agree with you on doing something about 676 though. That thing is always a nightmare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 12:39 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,239,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I think it is more vital for Philadelphia at this time to cap 676 and I95 through Center City.

While our subway system is not far reaching, our regional rails are, and neither are anywhere near capacity.
IMO, SEPTA should look into creating in-fill regional rail stations in the city to address some of the transit needs in the city and region. Those stations weren't built back in the day probably because the Pennsylvania and Reading Railroads either didn't want to compete with or came to an agreement to not compete with the Philadelphia Transportation Company (and before that the Philadelphia Rapid Transit Company), but in today's SEPTA system there is a service gap between the close-in heavy rail services on the MFL, BSL, and PATCO and the longer-distance services on Regional Rail where there are very few stations within 6-7 rail miles of Center City. Now creating those stations would make existing regional rail service slower from outlying areas. In some cases those regional rail stations would also be located in areas that are less desirable and may not have extensive ridership (because potential riders will be unable or unwilling to pay the higher regional rail fares). On the other hand, it would also create higher speed transit access from parts of the city that only have (in some cases extensive) bus service.

Old 07-22-2015, 03:31 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,226,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
IMO, SEPTA should look into creating in-fill regional rail stations in the city to address some of the transit needs in the city and region. Those stations weren't built back in the day probably because the Pennsylvania and Reading Railroads either didn't want to compete with or came to an agreement to not compete with the Philadelphia Transportation Company (and before that the Philadelphia Rapid Transit Company), but in today's SEPTA system there is a service gap between the close-in heavy rail services on the MFL, BSL, and PATCO and the longer-distance services on Regional Rail where there are very few stations within 6-7 rail miles of Center City. Now creating those stations would make existing regional rail service slower from outlying areas. In some cases those regional rail stations would also be located in areas that are less desirable and may not have extensive ridership (because potential riders will be unable or unwilling to pay the higher regional rail fares). On the other hand, it would also create higher speed transit access from parts of the city that only have (in some cases extensive) bus service.
Actually, if you look at the real old railroad station maps, there used to be more railroad stations in the cities. Especially on the Reading side - used to be one around Erie Avenue, Spring Garden, I know there were more but those are the only ones I know for sure off the top of my head. A lot of them wound up closing because PTC could better serve the system.

But anyway, the Reading side runs way too close to the BSL for much of the way to make that much of an impact, and it's just not going to happen on the Amtrak side.

Back a couple of decades ago, the city used to subsidize more frequent service within the city limits. The CHW for example used to run ever 30 minutes all day, ever 15 minutes during rush hour (it's half as frequently now). That's probably true for other lines as well.

Having such a system today would do wonders for neighborhoods which in reality aren't that far from a rapid transit perspective - 3 - 8 miles, but don't have rapid transit frequency. I know SEPTA's been murmering about bringing half-hourly service to the Chestnut Hill East and Manayunk lines in the not-too-long-term future. Can't find the article now - it was a pretty obscure mention from SEPTA management and it still needs to be fully hashed out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia