Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 03:18 PM

10 posts, read 10,995 times

Advertisements

Hi, my husband and I live in Cleveland OH and DH is being relocated by his pharmaceutical company in Collegeville Pa. His co-workers are boasting about downtown Phoenixville and how awesome it is there with all the dining, shops and weekly festivals in the summer. I also like the idea of it being so convienent to everything like Philadelphia, New York and Washington DC and shopping malls near there. I heard there are some really nice developments just outside the Phoenixville borough and am interested in checking them out. I would love to hear from some realtors and set up some showings. My price range is between $500,000 to $600,000. Actually maybe more since they just increased the JUMBO loan and I have excellent credit. I prefer a private subdivision and looking for about an acre lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 05:08 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,208,904 times
I cant help you with specific developments but you should like the Collegeville area. I'm pulling for Phoenixville, its an old town that has seen better days but its making a very nice comeback and the surrounding hills are full of new housing developments. There are some great amenities and towns nearby Valley Forge National Park,French Creek State park,Evansburg State Park,King of Prussia Mall,Shops at Limerick,Skippack,Doylestown,New Hope,West Chester,Marsh Creek Lake. Great area

Some nice communities include Kimberton,Valley Forge,East Vincent,East Coventry,Trappe, Skippack, East Norriton.

Good luck.Here is a photo taken from what looks Central to northern montgomery County maybe the Collegeville/Lansdale area looking SE towards Philadlephia.

Last edited by rainrock; 01-27-2008 at 05:45 PM..

Old 01-27-2008, 05:42 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,090,351 times
Wow, I have to tell you, though, that does not at all look like Collegeville or Lansdale. There'd be much more suburban sprawl around. That almost looks like a state park. Maybe it's somewhere in Skippack that borders Evansburg State Park? I'd love to know where that was taken.

In your price range, you might be able to afford something in Toll Brothers' Rivercrest Country Club development. It's gated, has a golf course, and is about 4 minutes from downtown P'Ville. It's also about 2 minutes from 422, as well as the the new Wegman's and other stores going into the "Collegeville Town Center." By the way, it's also about 2 minutes from Wyeth and GlaxoSmithKline.

There's tons of other developments in the area. Try phillyforsale.com.

Old 01-27-2008, 06:18 PM

Yeah that might even be up in Berks County. There is no signs of sprawl in any direction in that photo.

Speaking of Flying high this is one of the best photos Ive ever seen. Courtesy of Ratt at Flickr. From a hot air balloon in Chester County.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:43 AM

10 posts, read 10,995 times
Thanks so much but I do prefer Phoenixville properties just outside the borough instead. We visited both areas this weekend, (finally after 3 hour delay airport delay in Cleveland) . And although Collegeville was nice, I really like Phoenixville (outside the borough) much better. In fact DH set up an appointment today with a Realtor to see a home in Rivers Bend. He loves that subdivision. We also saw they're building a really nice shopping center called
Providence center or something but we saw a WEGMANS !! And wow what a treat, DH and the kids love that place. This place was only a 2.5 mile drive from RiversBend. We had lunch in Phoenixville town on Bridge street. What a quaint litte town !! I absolutely love that place ! The Molly Mcquires restuarant was awesome and we saw alot of nice antique shops too !! It sort of reminds me of town by us called Perry but much better and more places to shop and eat. We'll just see how it goes. THanks for the info though. We haven't signed a buyers agreement yet. OVerall we we're extremely impressed with Phoenixville and it's surronding suburban enviroment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
I cant help you with specific developments but you should like the Collegeville area. I'm pulling for Phoenixville, its an old town that has seen better days but its making a very nice comeback and the surrounding hills are full of new housing developments. There are some great amenities and towns nearby Valley Forge National Park,French Creek State park,Evansburg State Park,King of Prussia Mall,Shops at Limerick,Skippack,Doylestown,New Hope,West Chester,Marsh Creek Lake. Great area

Some nice communities include Kimberton,Valley Forge,East Vincent,East Coventry,Trappe, Skippack, East Norriton.

Good luck.Here is a photo taken from what looks Central to northern montgomery County maybe the Collegeville/Lansdale area looking SE towards Philadlephia.

Old 01-28-2008, 02:47 PM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post

This is such a gorgeous photo. It's relieving to know that we do have some great countryside left around Philly that hasn't been turned into subdivisions. Let's hope we can preserve it in the years to come.

Old 01-28-2008, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARelo View Post
Thanks so much but I do prefer Phoenixville properties just outside the borough instead. We visited both areas this weekend, (finally after 3 hour delay airport delay in Cleveland) . And although Collegeville was nice, I really like Phoenixville (outside the borough) much better. In fact DH set up an appointment today with a Realtor to see a home in Rivers Bend. He loves that subdivision. We also saw they're building a really nice shopping center called
Providence center or something but we saw a WEGMANS !! And wow what a treat, DH and the kids love that place. This place was only a 2.5 mile drive from RiversBend. We had lunch in Phoenixville town on Bridge street. What a quaint litte town !! I absolutely love that place ! The Molly Mcquires restuarant was awesome and we saw alot of nice antique shops too !! It sort of reminds me of town by us called Perry but much better and more places to shop and eat. We'll just see how it goes. THanks for the info though. We haven't signed a buyers agreement yet. OVerall we we're extremely impressed with Phoenixville and it's surronding suburban enviroment.
Phoenixville gets a little better every year. It had been a forgotten town heading downhill but theres been alot of development in the town itself the past 10 years. The surrounding area is very nice.

A couple of must see towns in the area once you get settled are Doylestown,New Hope,Newtown,and West Chester. Hopefully one day Phoenixville can join this elite group. Skippack is real quaint small village not too far from Phoenixville.Center City Philly is very underrated, extremely historic, and the Museum district is fabulous.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:39 PM

3,488 posts, read 8,218,986 times
CC isn't that underrated - we just lost out on the second house we wanted to buy. I guess the high end of the market is alive and kicking. Hopefully we'll find something we can afford and like enough to offer on soon!

Good luck to the OP!

Old 01-29-2008, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
CC isn't that underrated - we just lost out on the second house we wanted to buy. I guess the high end of the market is alive and kicking. Hopefully we'll find something we can afford and like enough to offer on soon!

Good luck to the OP!
Sorry to hear that although thats great news that CC real estate market is still humming along..

I was speaking of a more national perspective, perhaps I'm wrong but I think the first instinct from someone from Cleveland or NC isnt how vibrant Center City is but rather the crime of the surrounding hoods.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:43 AM

1,623 posts, read 6,525,465 times
For that kind of money I'd be looking to West Chester or Wayne or Media for down towns or other main line towns/Chester Springs/Downingtown for more upscale homes...just my opinion but while I think Phoenixville has come a ways, paying for the hype isnt the way to go...I'd even look at Conshohoken/Manayunk for the same vibe but in more established areas that you are paying a premium for amenities, not just bc of the spike in demand caused by all the pharmcos relocating...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia