Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 09:54 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,767,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steinish View Post
So you're against polite people who bathe, brush their teeth and don't talk to themselves? Masochist.
I personally experienced this.
I learned how to avoid taking certain bus or get off of EL before certain stations. Same with regional rails. I avoid taking certain lines after certain hours.
*shudder*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 09:56 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,767,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I've lived in other cities and been dependent on public transportation in them. I don't think SEPTA is "uniquely terrible" but they do have problems, they do seem stuck in the past, and they don't stack up well to some other cities.
I happened to ride regional 2 weeks ago and the train was so vintage that the internal panel was wooden (or faux wooden).
I could see the cast of Mad Men riding the train.

Old 10-06-2015, 11:49 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,756,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
I happened to ride regional 2 weeks ago and the train was so vintage that the internal panel was wooden (or faux wooden).
What? What line was that?! The oldest cars should all be retired by now.

Old 10-06-2015, 12:46 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,526,158 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
They still run this one on the West Trenton line for sure - the 5:14pm out of Suburban (I see it whenever I take the 5:17 on Norristown line)

Old 10-06-2015, 04:05 PM

9,331 posts, read 13,002,482 times
Quote:
That actually sounds really cool. As long as the train's still in good shape, they should keep it for posterity.

Old 10-06-2015, 05:02 PM

743 posts, read 766,292 times
Quote:
I personally experienced this.
I learned how to avoid taking certain bus or get off of EL before certain stations. Same with regional rails. I avoid taking certain lines after certain hours.
*shudder*
It's all about preference.

Old 10-06-2015, 05:16 PM

9,331 posts, read 13,002,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steinish View Post
It's all about preference.
I'm not worried about who's on the train so much as being alone/one of the only people on the train past commuting hours. So far it hasn't been an issue.

Old 10-06-2015, 06:44 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,226,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
They're push-pulls that are mostly used on peak-hour express trains (so most of us don't get to see them - I've seen them on express paoli/thorndale and wilmington lines over the years too). The reason they are used on express trains is that they take longer to accelerate - so its' best to keep them going.

The interior are faux wooden - they're also definitely not Mad Men old. If they still use the ones from the 70's (not sure if they do), they're not that much older than the Silverliner IV's that make up most of the regional rail fleet. I've never ridden any of them - not long after I moved here I took a trip on an old Silverliner though.

Philadelphia Transit Vehicles: SEPTA's Commuter Rail Fleet

Some of the comments on here are funny, because they have nothing to do with SEPTA, but just dealing with the general public of modernity. You could say the same about the DMV, the sidewalk, or Rittenhouse Square. Or places in any other American city.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
I'm not worried about who's on the train so much as being alone/one of the only people on the train past commuting hours. So far it hasn't been an issue.
Gosh... Maybe I'm a fool but I rarely am bothered by any of what you all are. I've been riding pub trans longer than many of you have been alive here in Philly, NYC(going back to when much its rolling subway stock was covered in graffiti too), and Chicago. Truthfully the worst transit moment for me was when the DC metro train I was caught on fire a couple of years ago. Nothing like that has ever happened to me on Septa.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousBlueRaincoat View Post
They're push-pulls that are mostly used on peak-hour express trains (so most of us don't get to see them - I've seen them on express paoli/thorndale and wilmington lines over the years too). The reason they are used on express trains is that they take longer to accelerate - so its' best to keep them going.

The interior are faux wooden - they're also definitely not Mad Men old. If they still use the ones from the 70's (not sure if they do), they're not that much older than the Silverliner IV's that make up most of the regional rail fleet. I've never ridden any of them - not long after I moved here I took a trip on an old Silverliner though.

Philadelphia Transit Vehicles: SEPTA's Commuter Rail Fleet

Some of the comments on here are funny, because they have nothing to do with SEPTA, but just dealing with the general public of modernity. You could say the same about the DMV, the sidewalk, or Rittenhouse Square. Or places in any other American city.
Many of you have much more experience with regional rails since I don't ride them regularly and when
I do it's either the airport or Media/Elwyn lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia