Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 12:26 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,335,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Janszoon's post #3 is absolutely correct, Philly's traffic is NOT bad for its population.

DC and Boston have worse traffic congestion for commuters and are lower in population -- (even comparing "metro areas" Philly traffic isn't bad.)

Why does the traffic SEEM worse?......because people ignorant of how bad it REALLY is in other places, don't know what they're talking about and keep repeating a premise that isn't even true. That's why.

If people think Philly commute is bad try DC, San Francisco or LA? Then talk to me about traffic congestion.
Philly commuters need to stop whining.
Every major city has traffic issues. I have experienced just as many headaches in Philly and suburbs as I have in DC, Connecticut, Chicago, Baltimore, Boston, Miami and Atlanta. A dumb list saying you wait 10 minutes longer in Boston than Philadelphia does not matter to someone who has driven in several major cities around the country.

The worst I have experienced though was driving in NYC, and just outside of DC.

And please don't toss the worst "ignorant" around when we are comparing apples to apples.
Philly isn't Idaho.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 12:59 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,758,078 times
Quote:
Janszoon's post #3 is absolutely correct, Philly's traffic is NOT bad for its population.

DC and Boston have worse traffic congestion for commuters and are lower in population -- (even comparing "metro areas" Philly traffic isn't bad.)

Why does the traffic SEEM worse?......because people ignorant of how bad it REALLY is in other places, don't know what they're talking about and keep repeating a premise that isn't even true. That's why.

If people think Philly commute is bad try DC, San Francisco or LA? Then talk to me about traffic congestion.
Right, you are.

An old friend of mine who used to live in Falls Church, VA used to commute to the NIH-Bethesda. I was with her a couple of times. Just those two times and I was ready to kill someone, figuratively speaking, the congestion was so bad and the scary drivers(tailgaters!!!). She dealt with it every day. Not sure why she didn't use the Metro orange and red lines though.

Then there are all the times of getting stuck in traffic in NYC on 9th Ave, trying to get to the Lincoln Tunnel, or the Holland Tunnel from a day in Tribeca/soho/the bowery or there's dealing with some snafu on NJT. I've gotten "tangled" in a few of those.... power problems... or late trains and no explanation as to why. Try moving an inch on 5th Ave during evening rush hour in a bus. You're better off walking, if you can. Yes, I do use the subway in NYC. I have more "fun" stories about that... Lol(trying to inject some humor).

Old 09-15-2015, 01:06 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,126,824 times
I meant "ignorant of " as in "unaware of"...and stand by my choice.

Not arguing, just clarifying my usage. Many people who are unaware of how bad it is in other places, rant like Philly is worst than some cities they've never even been to. So, yes they are commenting out of ignorance. Not a sin. But it's hard to discuss an issue when one of the parties comments based on knowledge they DON'T have (and thinks they do)

Old 09-15-2015, 01:12 PM

1,697 posts, read 971,966 times
Have to agree with Selhars.

I've lived in NYC, DC and now Philly. I have been to Boston a ton.

Philly just isn't as bad to me. Nothing comes close to Boston with not only traffic but the level of violence drivers there drive with makes that town a nightmare on it's own level.

And I say this just 3 months after being in a 4 car, highway speed accident on 76.

Old 09-15-2015, 02:25 PM

968 posts, read 1,141,441 times
Quote:

I agree, while there are a lot of roads under construction, the traffic really isn't that bad considering. I went for a job interview in Jenkintown recently and was surprised how little traffic there was going into Philly during the 8:00 hour.

Old 09-15-2015, 02:27 PM

1,943 posts, read 1,489,069 times
I implore any of you thinking Philly traffic is bad to try and drive on the Cross Bronx any time of the day, let alone rush hour. You'll never complain about the pittance of traffic on 76 or 95 ever again. Again, outside of rush hour Philly traffic is generally always moving. That is not true of most other big cities.

Old 09-15-2015, 02:54 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,093,205 times
ChicagoLiz has an ax to grind about Philadelphia, though, so clearly she will say anything to demean the region, regardless of whether her comments have any merit.

Old 09-15-2015, 02:59 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,723,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
ChicagoLiz has an ax to grind about Philadelphia, though, so clearly she will say anything to demean the region, regardless of whether her comments have any merit.
That's just not true. I've said plenty of nice things about Philadelphia. What I hate is that from where I live it is a HUGE PITA to get into the city. The traffic from the 422 corridor is astoundingly awful.

You can refuse to believe my experience. I don't much care whether you do or don't. I've made observations about the traffic issues, which I believe are related to the lack of public transit, the fact that the Schuylkill is 2 lanes going into/out of the city, which causes tremendous delays, and there are few alternative routes into the city. Maybe you don't know what the phrase "ax to grind" means.

Old 09-15-2015, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Have to agree with Selhars.

I've lived in NYC, DC and now Philly. I have been to Boston a ton.

Philly just isn't as bad to me. Nothing comes close to Boston with not only traffic but the level of violence drivers there drive with makes that town a nightmare on it's own level.

And I say this just 3 months after being in a 4 car, highway speed accident on 76.
Once you are here a little longer you will likely learn how to avoid 76 altogether. It's doable. Especially going westbound.

Old 09-15-2015, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
That's just not true. I've said plenty of nice things about Philadelphia. What I hate is that from where I live it is a HUGE PITA to get into the city. The traffic from the 422 corridor is astoundingly awful.

You can refuse to believe my experience. I don't much care whether you do or don't. I've made observations about the traffic issues, which I believe are related to the lack of public transit, the fact that the Schuylkill is 2 lanes going into/out of the city, which causes tremendous delays, and there are few alternative routes into the city. Maybe you don't know what the phrase "ax to grind" means.
There are alternate routes especially from the KoP Upper Merion area into the city. But they're not highways, obviously which is what, I guess, you mean by "few alternative routes".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia