Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 01:45 PM

9 posts, read 8,654 times

Advertisements

My head is spinning from reading the forum, researching maps and such, trying to figure out where to live in Philly area Countryside. I'd be grateful for those who could point me in the right direction.

Young at heart, early 50's couple with two daughter's 23 & 25 and 3 small sized dogs.
Originally from North Shore Long Island (love), moved to Naples after marrage with kids (mistake) and then to our current location in Orlando, FL (also aweful).
We now have a window of opportunity to move back North and we picked the Philly area for the colleges and proximity to other States.
We're both self employed. I am in the interior design trade.

We're looking to rent for a year while exploring the area for where to settle.
Not sure if we should look for 2 diff. rentals or one 3bdrm 2 bath,...doesn't look as if the girls would be able to find a safe and affordable apartment yet so we may need to rent together however I do not want to compromise location. I'll compromise sq. ft. first.
Our lifestyle has always been moderate affluent however we didn't weather the recession storm very well and are still struggling with recovery,..so this brings us down to affording up to 2k for monthly rent!
This is the issue we're struggling with,...and it is hard. But at the end of the day I don't need a castle, a studio would do as long as it is safe, clean and pictuesque.

The Goldilocks environment:
A hop skip and jump to CC (for the occasional city outting)
SAFE and clean
Picturesque. Love hilly, mature landscapes, well maintained properties, well maintained beautiful architecture, cobblestoned villages with quaint shops and savvy energy (not overwhelmingly senior populated). Sprinkled with residential homes and lofts. (like Roslyn and Oyster Bay on Long Island or Winter Park in Florida or maybe a Wooster Scott look?)
Would prefer to stroll around the corner to a coffee shop, antique store, book store, ice cream shop or Talbots perhaps (preferred over malls).
Love festivals and art shows, holiday celebrations with decorations for fall and Christmas.
Love to go to outdoor organic markets on weekends (or any day).
Enjoy small town theater and quant restaurants (no need for fancy although that is good too but dislike pretentious people).
Not too far a drive (hop, skip and jump) from landscaped clean modern shopping center's and grocery store.
An upscale area hangout for daughters to meet others their age,...safe and intellegent nightlife.

The Goldilocks home:
Not buying yet so we're open to type and style of residence as long as it is modernized, clean, maintained with hardwood floors and same for the neighborhood.
An area where one would expect friendly neighbors and decency. (Not snoby)
Diversity doesn't matter,...behavior and good living standards do.
If the girls find an apartment then my husband and I would love to find a loft above a shop!

If this Goldilocks list is totally rosey colored and laughable, remember it is "Goldilocks" wishful speaking,...ask for the world and compromise from there.
#1 is safety above all elese.

Ive been looking within a rather large diameter stemming out from Newtown Square???

I soooooo appreciate all the insight you're willing to give.
Also,..if anyone can suggest an experience spot-on "rental agent" that would be extremely helpful

Thank in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 03:52 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,724,745 times
If you can find something you can afford, try Chestnut Hill. (I haven't looked at prices recently for rentals.)
Maybe Ambler or even Flourtown, as they're close to Chestnut Hill, Ambler has a nice downtown, and it has a railroad station that gets into CC Philly in a reasonable amount of time.

Your daughters might prefer Manayunk.

Also try Bala Cynwyd. That will have the fastest access to Center City but is a suburb.

All of these places are expensive, so the bigger compromise will come in the living quarters, which is what it sounds is your preference. If you give up some things in location, obviously you could get nicer/bigger/newer homes.

Phoenixville is an up and coming area that would have some of what you're looking for, too. But it's definitely more than a hop, skip and a jump to CC.

Edited to add: I see you're looking at Newtown Square, too. I can't speak directly to it, but any of those places near colleges or out on the Main Line would suit many of your needs. Obviously the further out you go, the less expensive it will be, and it won't be as quick to get to CC, but all those towns have pretty good access. Even out to Paoli you'd have shopping centers with Talbots type stores and some walkability.

Old 09-18-2015, 04:21 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,598,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
If you can find something you can afford, try Chestnut Hill. (I haven't looked at prices recently for rentals.)
Maybe Ambler or even Flourtown, as they're close to Chestnut Hill, Ambler has a nice downtown, and it has a railroad station that gets into CC Philly in a reasonable amount of time.

Your daughters might prefer Manayunk.

Also try Bala Cynwyd. That will have the fastest access to Center City but is a suburb.

All of these places are expensive, so the bigger compromise will come in the living quarters, which is what it sounds is your preference. If you give up some things in location, obviously you could get nicer/bigger/newer homes.

Phoenixville is an up and coming area that would have some of what you're looking for, too. But it's definitely more than a hop, skip and a jump to CC.

Edited to add: I see you're looking at Newtown Square, too. I can't speak directly to it, but any of those places near colleges or out on the Main Line would suit many of your needs. Obviously the further out you go, the less expensive it will be, and it won't be as quick to get to CC, but all those towns have pretty good access. Even out to Paoli you'd have shopping centers with Talbots type stores and some walkability.
Great suggestions! I'd also consider Media, which has fantastic access to the city, and is relatively more reasonable cost-wise than the Main Line area.

Other towns, such as Doylestown and Newtown, are options, especially if the OP would enjoy proximity to New York, but they're a little more distant from the city.

Good luck!

Old 09-18-2015, 09:16 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddyLu View Post
My head is spinning from reading the forum, researching maps and such, trying to figure out where to live in Philly area Countryside. I'd be grateful for those who could point me in the right direction.

Young at heart, early 50's couple with two daughter's 23 & 25 and 3 small sized dogs.
Originally from North Shore Long Island (love), moved to Naples after marrage with kids (mistake) and then to our current location in Orlando, FL (also aweful).
We now have a window of opportunity to move back North and we picked the Philly area for the colleges and proximity to other States.
We're both self employed. I am in the interior design trade.

We're looking to rent for a year while exploring the area for where to settle.
Not sure if we should look for 2 diff. rentals or one 3bdrm 2 bath,...doesn't look as if the girls would be able to find a safe and affordable apartment yet so we may need to rent together however I do not want to compromise location. I'll compromise sq. ft. first.
Our lifestyle has always been moderate affluent however we didn't weather the recession storm very well and are still struggling with recovery,..so this brings us down to affording up to 2k for monthly rent!
This is the issue we're struggling with,...and it is hard. But at the end of the day I don't need a castle, a studio would do as long as it is safe, clean and pictuesque.

The Goldilocks environment:
A hop skip and jump to CC (for the occasional city outting)
SAFE and clean
Picturesque. Love hilly, mature landscapes, well maintained properties, well maintained beautiful architecture, cobblestoned villages with quaint shops and savvy energy (not overwhelmingly senior populated). Sprinkled with residential homes and lofts. (like Roslyn and Oyster Bay on Long Island or Winter Park in Florida or maybe a Wooster Scott look?)
Would prefer to stroll around the corner to a coffee shop, antique store, book store, ice cream shop or Talbots perhaps (preferred over malls).
Love festivals and art shows, holiday celebrations with decorations for fall and Christmas.
Love to go to outdoor organic markets on weekends (or any day).
Enjoy small town theater and quant restaurants (no need for fancy although that is good too but dislike pretentious people).
Not too far a drive (hop, skip and jump) from landscaped clean modern shopping center's and grocery store.
An upscale area hangout for daughters to meet others their age,...safe and intellegent nightlife.

The Goldilocks home:
Not buying yet so we're open to type and style of residence as long as it is modernized, clean, maintained with hardwood floors and same for the neighborhood.
An area where one would expect friendly neighbors and decency. (Not snoby)
Diversity doesn't matter,...behavior and good living standards do.
If the girls find an apartment then my husband and I would love to find a loft above a shop!

If this Goldilocks list is totally rosey colored and laughable, remember it is "Goldilocks" wishful speaking,...ask for the world and compromise from there.
#1 is safety above all elese.

Ive been looking within a rather large diameter stemming out from Newtown Square???

I soooooo appreciate all the insight you're willing to give.
Also,..if anyone can suggest an experience spot-on "rental agent" that would be extremely helpful

Thank in advance.
Haddonfield fits most of your description, but you might like West Chester for the rolling hills. Rent in Chestnut Hill then look at your other options.

Old 09-19-2015, 03:05 PM

Thank you for taking your time out to help! I do appreciate your suggestions and look forward to narrowing my focus.

Old 09-26-2015, 11:55 AM

Default Where to drive by?

Mod note - merged threads - this one is the newest thread starter.

Early 50's empty nester's looking for a suburb of Philly to rent until we learn the area.
I have 2 days to do a scout-through drive by for a taste of some towns but obviously cannot hit them all.
Would someone from the Philly area kindly suggest a "must see" town mix for my itinerary?
Thank you for your time.

Landing 8:30 am Saturday 10/03/2015
Leaving 8:50 pm on Sunday

Childhood to age 30 lived N. Shore Long Island between Oyster Bay and Stonybrook
Moved to Florida

• Hate Florida (Except for a beach vacation resort)
  • Want Philly for daughter's college education and proximity to other States
  • Love Northern terrain; rolling hills, mature landscapes however do not want to live in isolation
  • Appreciate well maintained architecture with modern amenities
  • Love a downtown main street stroll (safe and beautifully maintained) with modern energy and people
  • Love festivals and farmers markets
  • Prefer boutique-like shops but where jeans are under $80.
  • Would like some night life energy near by
  • Can go for a loft, town home, single family,...flexible sq. foot as long as nice area, open to any style
Hotel is in King of Prussia
One stop for sure will be Newtown Square,..but where should I go from there? Open to covering a large radius if the area is a "must see".

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by toobusytoday; 09-26-2015 at 06:25 PM.. Reason: privacy

Old 09-26-2015, 12:32 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddyLu View Post
Early 50's empty nester's looking for a suburb of Philly to rent until we learn the area.
I have 2 days to do a scout-through drive by for a taste of some towns but obviously cannot hit them all.
Would someone from the Philly area kindly suggest a "must see" town mix for my itinerary?
Thank you for your time.

Landing 8:30 am Saturday 10/03/2015
Leaving 8:50 pm on Sunday

Childhood to age 30 lived N. Shore Long Island between Oyster Bay and Stonybrook
Moved to Florida

• Hate Florida (Except for a beach vacation resort)
  • Want Philly for daughter's college education and proximity to other States
  • Love Northern terrain; rolling hills, mature landscapes however do not want to live in isolation
  • Appreciate well maintained architecture with modern amenities
  • Love a downtown main street stroll (safe and beautifully maintained) with modern energy and people
  • Love festivals and farmers markets
  • Prefer boutique-like shops but where jeans are under $80.
  • Would like some night life energy near by
  • Can go for a loft, town home, single family,...flexible sq. foot as long as nice area, open to any style
Hotel is in King of Prussia
One stop for sure will be Newtown Square,..but where should I go from there? Open to covering a large radius if the area is a "must see".

Thanks in advance!
You've posted this before. Were you hoping for different answers? If the object was to add updated information you could have done that on one of your other threads.

Old 09-26-2015, 01:30 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,716,151 times
Media and Ambler for easier access to the city. West Chester, Phoenixville, Newtown, and Doylestown to be further out.

Old 09-26-2015, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
You've posted this before. Were you hoping for different answers? If the object was to add updated information you could have done that on one of your other threads.
Yes,..because I'm actually going for a visit but I only have 2 days,...didn't get too many responses on my original post either, was hoping for a little bit more feedback, plus this is the first forum experience for me, never posted on one before....

Old 09-26-2015, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Media and Ambler for easier access to the city. West Chester, Phoenixville, Newtown, and Doylestown to be further out.
Thank you for your suggestion! I appreciate your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia